Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Your thought please - getting married on Easter Saturday?

28 September, 2011 at 19:09 Posted on Planning 0 13

I am a teacher and really want to get married in the Easter holidays. However, I think the first Saturday I will be exchausted, and the last will be a bit of an anti-climax to have to go back to school on the Monday after a Saturday wedding. My partner thinks it's really unfair to our friends to get married on Easter Saturday because he thinks lots of them will want to be away then too.

What do you think? It is purely for selfish reasons - I'd like to have a week to prepare, plus time to help decorate the venue and then ideally a few days away with my new hubby, before going back to full on 15 hour days at work.

Your opinions please!

13 replies

Latest activity by HappyAnnie, 29 September, 2011 at 20:37
  • Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I think if you let people know in advance they won't even consider going away and so won't feel disappointed not to be able to.

One thing I would say, is if you want a Church service you might struggle as Easter weekend is usually reserved only for mass etc. Any VERY keen church goers might raise an eyebrow, too - I only say this because my friend's mum somehow got it into her head that we were getting married over Easter weekend (we're not, I was raised a Catholic and so it wouldn't be right for me) and she was a bit unimpressed by it as she is a staunch Catholic herself.

Other than that, whatever suits you!

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a teacher too and toyed with the idea of an Easter wedding but decided against it in the end, purely because I always get ill at the start of the holidays and I didn't want to be ill on my wedding day and we also wanted to be able to fit in a full two week honeymoon straight after the wedding. However, I would have no problem going to a friend's wedding on Easter Saturday - in fact, we went to one a few years ago! I think pretty much everyone who they wanted to be there was there and it was a lovely day. Quite often, there is a reason not to get married on a certain day - it's too close to Christmas, New Year, Easter, in the middle of the Olympics, football event, rugby event, someone has booked a holiday etc. You can't help clashing with some things quite often and when you are restritcted, as teachers generally are, you just have to make a choice that fits the best with you. As long as you give people enough notice, I'm sure people won't mind not going away. Some people may even incorporate it into a mini break if they are coming from further afield!

• purpletaff
    Beginner June 2012
    purpletaff ·
    • Hide content

My cousin got married in church on Good Friday and wasn't allowed any flowers. Just something to keep in mind if it's a church you are thinking of. Not sure if it is just for Good Friday but seem to remember the church wasn't decorated again til Easter Sunday. If it's not a church wedding, no worries. I too am a teacher and am getting married on June 3rd, the first Sunday of half term before 2 bank holidays (Monday and Tuesday due to queen's jubilee) . Will ahve the Friday off and the Saturday to get things sorted!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It'd be because of Lent, wouldn't it?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Good Friday is even more restricted than Lent. You used not to be able to get married in church in Lent at all, and some places still won't let you (including my college chapel). Good Friday itself is supposed to be a day of mourning, hence no flowers etc. I would expect that Easter Saturday might well be similar, as Jesus is still dead at that point, if you get what I mean. Plus as has already been mentioned, there may well be services and/or vigils going on.

On a personal level, as a fairly liberal Christian, I wouldn't have a problem going to a wedding on Easter Saturday, but I think you (OP) should check the practicalities early on, if you want a church wedding. I don't imagine civil weddings would be a problem, though it is a bank holiday...

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

As well of the practicalities of getting married in a Church over Easter VS at a civil ceremony, you may need to think about cost. Bank holiday weekends often see increases in hotel costs and may impact the availability and charges of wedding suppliers.

My Mum is a teacher, and I know how hard you amazing people work - totally understandable that you need to get your "ducks in a row" before the big day! ?

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I probably wouldn't no, because of the points already raised. It is a pain and I do sympathise. My OH is a teacher and we are getting married the week before all the schools break up in July. He managed to get the week off (he requested it 2 years in advance), although it is upaid.

• katielou87
    Beginner April 2012
    katielou87 ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married Easter Saturday - and so far everyone thinks its a great idea as they will still have the easter Sunday and Monday to recover!!! x

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Easter Saturday is the best day to get married I think ( purely because that is when I will be getting married Smiley smile )

Everyone we have spoke to has loved the idea, they have Friday to get ready, Saturday to enjoy a great party, and Sunday to recover Smiley smile

When I looked around for prices, although it is BH, because it is the Saturday and a normal working day there is no price increase Smiley smile

• katielou87
    Beginner April 2012
    katielou87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you getting married 2012? Do I have a date twin here?!! ?

• T
    Beginner April 2012
    Tilly4547 ·
    • Hide content

I am a teacher too and am getting married on Easter Saturday next year. Everyone that I have spoekn to does not have a problem with it being Easter Saturday. Even my mum is fine with it and she's quite religious! I liked the idea of having a week off before and after the wedding and then we are planning on a proper honeymoon in the Summer when I can switch off from work and completely relax!

• HappyAnnie
    Beginner April 2012
    HappyAnnie ·
    • Hide content

I'm a teacher too! We get married 8th April 2012 (Easter Sunday) - I too always get ill the moment we break up for hols so am pleased to have a week off to relax, pamper (and get sorted for the first week back so I don'ty have to worry ?

Our guests then have Bank holiday Monday off to recover and we have a week before I go back to school - we are having a "minimoon" (Paris hopefully) then somewhere long haul in the Summer (gives us something to look forward to once the wedding has passed and gives us a bit longer to save!!)

We've given all our guests a years notice so no one has booked to go away - I like the fact that we are being a bit different to the usual summer hols and Easter is a perfect theme (egg cup holders as favours/easter egg hunt) etc etc.

Good luck with whatever you decide!x

• HappyAnnie
    Beginner April 2012
    HappyAnnie ·
    • Hide content

I would still go with Easter wedding - you could have a later afternoon/evening wedding though don't forget it's your day and you want the maximum out of it - you don't want to only enjoy just a few hours? I'm sure people can arrange childcare - we are only having close family children at the wedding, the rest have commented how much they are looking forward to a childless day! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics