Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Claire
Beginner July 2021 Surrey

Your thoughts! Has anyone used a Spotify playlist instead of a dj or band???

Claire, 27 of March of 2021 at 12:03 Posted on Planning 1 10

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is thinking or has created a Spotify playlist instead of having a band/DJ? My partner is in a band so we can use his sound system and lights.

We would love to have a live band but it's just too expensive and we are having a small wedding of 40 guests.

Just wanted to see what your thoughts were on this.

Many thanks,
Claire x

10 replies

Latest activity by April21Bride, 4 of July of 2021 at 16:38
  • S
    Dedicated August 2023 South Yorkshire
    Sloufish ·
    • Hide content

We haven't yet but this is what we are planning on doing so would be nice to hear if others have! xx

• Melissab
    Dedicated June 2022 Surrey
    Melissab ·
    • Hide content
    We have booked a DJ. a playlist can be a good idea, but I guess the advantage of a DJ is that if the songs aren’t getting people up dancing they can change to something that will
  • Hollie
    Curious September 2021 Staffordshire
    Hollie ·
    • Hide content

Hey

We're planning on using a Spotify playlist for between the ceremony and the evening reception, me and my partner were just thinking on putting a list together of the songs that we personally like that plays whilst people eat and chat ?

• J
    Curious December 2021 Oxfordshire
    Jenna ·
    • Hide content
    We are hoping to have a band play for a couple of hours and then use a Spotify playlist for the disco part later into the night.

I’m adding in some songs that come into my head that are fun party songs.
    I’m also going to say to people on the invite to send me an optional song for the playlist!
  • D
    Missouri
    Dany ·
    • Hide content

I think your biggest challenge will be the equipment and delegating announcements. We aren't dancers either, but we're using premium Spotify and several playlists (including a more upbeat dance one for the guests who want to dance). I think if you can figure out the equipment/ announcements part it'll be fine.

• S
    Warwickshire
    StillLookingForTheMagicExtras ·
    • Hide content

It's a tricky one. The right band/d.j. can make or break the event. A playlist is a safer bet but it might not have the same atmosphere. In all the weddings I've been to, the best ones have been with a great band. A DJ can react to what's working (hopefully) and get people dancing. It really depends what you're after in the end.

• Carol
    Beginner August 2021 Surrey
    Carol ·
    • Hide content
    Hi.. we’re making our own Spotify playlist, and trying to include something for everyone.
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

I have seen a few playlist evening receptions and everyone seems to enjoy themselves just as much - especially after a few drinks. But then there is the sound system, you may be lucky and the venue has a decent one you can plug into but don't forget lighting as that will have a big impact on the atmosphere almost as much as the music itself I would say. ( smoke helps immensely ) but not many venues will allow it.

Your thoughts! Has anyone used a Spotify playlist instead of a dj or band??? 1

Your thoughts! Has anyone used a Spotify playlist instead of a dj or band??? 2

• Sima
    Beginner February 2022 West Midlands
    Sima ·
    • Hide content

I once organized a wedding where a couple decided to use a playlist instead of a DJ or live music. They did a modest wedding due to a small budget. Therefore, for them, creating a playlist was a great decision. A couple asked me to take care of organizing the musical part of the evening. Together they threw me a few tracks that they would like to hear at the wedding. When I picked up a few more ways for the playlist, I sent the finished playlist for them to listen to. The couple was pleased. All that remained was to check the musical equipment. In the process, it turned out that there was a problem with the audio interface. I immediately started looking for a new one. By chance, I came across https://www.itsaboutmusic.com/best-audio-interface-under-200 , which helped me solve the problem I had encountered. I was worried about how the wedding would go. But everything went perfectly. The newlyweds and guests were pleased with everything. Therefore, if you do not have the opportunity to hire a group or DJ, create a playlist.

• April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    We are having a Spotify playlist when we get married this weekend . Not because of cost but because dancing is advised against and dancefloors are closed we didn’t see the point in a DJ for background music.

We are getting married in Marylebone and not allowed loud amplified music outside but need masks inside so this felt the best option

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics