Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katianne
Beginner February 2014

Youth Hostel Wedding...?

Katianne, 17 August, 2012 at 07:34 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi everyone,

I'm just starting to plan our wedding and am looking for an unusual venue in the midlands, that offers guest accommodation as I have lots of friends and family spread out across the UK. I have found a potential venue, which is a YHA in the countryside. The building is beautiful and has just undergone a major refurbishment.

It offers accommodation for up to 70 guests but as it's a youth hostel this is mainly in the form of dorm rooms with bunks.

I just wondered if anyone had had / is planning a wedding in a similar venue and if so how did your guests feel about this? I would love as many people to stay as possible but do understand that some people might be put off by the sleeping arrangements.

I have emailed all of my guests to ask how they would feel about it - some have been fine, others had said they would rather source their own accommodation.

Any thoughts / experiences chared would be much appreciated.

Kind regards, Kate ?

21 replies

Latest activity by Kjay, 4 February, 2013 at 20:06
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Hello

Personally I would not choose my venue on the basis of the accommodation available unless you really love the venue then sure no problem but as with any wedding guests can make up there own mind if and where they would like to stay (unless your paying) the other thing to consider if you went ahead with this venue would it be exclusively yours or would your guests be sharing dorms with other guests if so I'm not sure how I would feel about leaving anything of value on the bedroom or trying to get ready for a wedding with other random people in the room. I would be thinking more along the lines of how it would work for food and drink?

You can always include a list of accommodation in the information section of your invite that will give your guests a choice to select one based on their budget.

• Katianne
    Beginner February 2014
    Katianne ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for this. Yes you hire the venue out in its entirety so its exclusively yours. We love the venue and location and it offers bridal suite so that's where I would get ready. We like the idea that guests could stay and we all have breakfast together the next day. There are some rooms that sleep 3 and five people and the others sleep more, so I was going to group people together e.g. families, friends.

• Trouble_gb
    Beginner September 2013
    Trouble_gb ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I went to a wedding at a boarding school and we stayed in the dorms.

It was great fun if not slightly rowdy so perhaps get your mates to share the dorms and give other people the option on a hotel nearby.

Luckily I slept through it all including the fire alarm being set off, most people were not that lucky.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I like your ideas, sounds like a wedding sleepover! I think, like you say, grouping those.who know each other would be good.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

If you like the venue anyway, then I think it's a great idea. As long as you do give people some help on choosing an alternative, as sharing rooms is not everyone's cup of tea. About 90% of our guests are travelling to be with us so I printed off a list of B&Bs near out venue, so no need to get taxis back after and easy to pick everyone up to take them to the church, and sent it out with their 'Save the Date'. Ours is on a bank holiday weekend, so we need people to book early though, as rooms go fast. I'll be adding the same list to the invitations, just in case.

• Katianne
    Beginner February 2014
    Katianne ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. Yes I've already had a look and there are a number of B&Bs within about 3 miles of the venue and a few more in the nearest town (as it's quite rural there isn't anything within walking distance though). Here are a couple of photos to prove it's not what you'd imagine a youth hostel to be.....!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

That looks lovely katianne! where abouts is it?

• Katianne
    Beginner February 2014
    Katianne ·
    • Hide content

Yes it's really lovely. It's in Shropshire ?

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

It looks lovely!

I wouldnt mind those sleeping arrangements, but as others have said you'd need to group families/groups of friends together e.g. couple and their children. I wouldnt want to be mixed in with people I didnt know. Or try and put couples in a room of 3 so they are on their own.

• xKellsBellsx
    Beginner December 2012
    xKellsBellsx ·
    • Hide content

Katianne, I think it looks beautiful. I think the thing to remember is that lots of venues don't even offer accommodation as standard, so the fact that yours does is a massive plus. As there are a number of other B&Bs locally for those who might prefer it, then all the better!

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

Wow. It's amazing. I thought a hostel was a good idea anyway, but now! Seriously good find there missy Smiley smile

• psycho_jo
    Beginner August 2012
    psycho_jo ·
    • Hide content

Wow! I really liked the idea of having a wedding at a youth hostel but when I saw the pics I loved it even more! I would love to go to a wedding somewhere like that and would find it really fun staying over in dorms. Guess it depends on your guests cos me and my friends (inc couples) have shared rooms and dorms etc before. Reckon you should go for it if it's what you and OH want. People can stay or not - that shouldn't be your worry.

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

As a venue it looks lovely, but personally I wouldn't stay in the "dorms" as a guest. If I'm having a night away then I'd rather have my own room, with my own bathroom etc, but that's just *me.* As long as there was alternative accommodation nearby that would be fine.

I think you need to consider your guests too - I can't actually see many of my friends or family staying in a location like that, but some of OH's football friends probably would.

• R
    Beginner July 2013
    Rachel88 ·
    • Hide content

That looks amazing!! I wouldn't mind staying...i think it would be a great laugh..wld go 4 ur idea of grouping people together as i wouldn't like sharing with people that i don't really know! It looks beautiful tho!! xoxo

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PipWilson ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kate,

I'm also looking at this venue - did you go ahead in the end? I hope you don't mind me asking but I'm trying to get as much information about it as possible!

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Pip

• kizzi10000
    Beginner August 2016
    kizzi10000 ·
    • Hide content

The venue we love has got accommodation with it and I love the idea of having family and friends from further away I don't see very often in the same place the night before and night of the wedding. We can all have dinner together, then breakfast before clearing the venue up, and lunch before everyone goes home. Cuts down travelling between venue & hotel, and is a lot cheaper for antone staying. Win win all round in my eyes.

Trouble is, it's an out of town study centre, and like you I can se ethe place being bunk beds in dorms! I've not checked yet (having a look round next week), but hopefully the rooms will be small enough to cater for individual family units.

If you can get enough people who don't mind the arrangements to make it worth hiring the whole place, then go for it. Anyone not comfortable can find their own accommodation

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I've been at wedding in a Youth Hostel and it was AMAZING!!! But it depends on what type of people your guests are. Most of the guest were of the thinking that they'd sleep on a bench after the wedding, a bunk in a dorm was a bonus!

All guests had a great time, and it worked very well for them staying the night. The hostel was huge compared to the number of guests, so families and groups of friends/couples all had their own room. There was no problem with sharing.

Guests who did not want to stay there went to hotel nearby but most didn't actually want to leave and wished they were staying! The mother of the bride was supposed to be staying else where but stayed in a dorm instead!

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

The bride and groom at the wedding I attended stayed! We said they should stay somewhere else on their first night as a married couple, but they didn't want to! In the end it was right decision, they'd not have wanted to leave the party. (Think we finally got to bed about 5am!)

• Katianne
    Beginner February 2014
    Katianne ·
    • Hide content

Hi again everyone!

Yes we have booked it! We get married there next February. We have booked it for the weekend, so we are staying over on the Friday and Saturday and the wedding party each have a room. There is also plenty of accomodation in the nearby villages so plenty of options for everyone. We loved this venue and are very very excited about getting married there next year ?

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Sounds amazing. OH and I would love that and it would be great fun. Think boarding school japes and general hilarity.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Yay you booked it!! Excellent!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics