Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

flutterbye
Beginner

10 year old bridesmaid dress

flutterbye, 5 January, 2010 at 21:46 Posted on Planning 0 14

What style of dress would you get for a 10 year old bridesmaid? Flower girl dresses look like they're for younger girls, and most bridesmaid dresses look a bit too grown-up. I don't know any other kids that age, and I don't see her often, so I'm not really sure what is appropriate! Her parents can be fussy - I'd rather have some ideas before talking to them.

14 replies

Latest activity by sazelbean, 6 January, 2010 at 12:09
  • K
    Beginner April 2010
    kazndave ·
    • Hide content

Have a look on a few dress websites. i printed off about 8 pictures of different styles n lengths n took them to my BM to see what sort of thing she prefered. i did the same with the flowergirls (who are only 3 so anything suits them anyway). it just gives you a start n them an idea of what you're thinking.

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content

Hi. Dont know if I can help at all, but wanted you to know Im in similar situation. My daughter will be 13 but tiny and im really stuck where to go as I dont want to pay a fortune, but she did find 'landy bridal' online, dont know what they are like but have a big range. Also she was bridesmaid when she was 10 and wore a flowergirl dress and was 'passable', personally I felt she got away with it but any older she would have looked odd.

• K
    Beginner July 2010
    kerryanneellis ·
    • Hide content

Im having the same problem too mine are 10 and 11 and i think flower girl dresses are too young and bridesmaid dresses are too old ive been having a look around and am looking at the below dresses

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/65824426&bklist=icat,4,shop,children,girlpartywear

http://www.monsoon.co.uk/invt/55006929&bklist=icat,4,shop,children,girlpartywear

Im planning on taking the girls to try them on and see if they like them otherwise i think a shopping trip with both of them will be in order!!

K x

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Our flowergirl was 9 and loved her big princessy dress but had her own more grown up dress to change into at night. I took her shopping with her mum round BHS, debenhams etc and they have some really nice ones that aren't too grown up but aren't dead princess-y either. I was a particular fan of these two:

https://www.bhs.com/mall/productpage.cfm/bhsstore/653064/228596

https://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10001_10001_248020800085_-1

but she wanted a big floaty number and it did look the best on her. The BHS one above was actually my favourite until I saw it on her - at that age they don't usually have hips or a bust yet so things that look like they should be lovely don't always look quite right, as was the case with that one.

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the pictures, and I'm glad it's not just me who is stuck! I guess I don't really know what styles of dress 10 year old girls wear, and this girl lives abroad so it's unlikely I'll see her till the wedding. I should be able to talk to her though, which is why I want some ideas first. I really like the look of the BHS one, and also the butterfly one from Monsoon.

• E
    Beginner February 2010
    Ema78 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there is a website called therosedress.com if you click on jr bridesmaid they have some nice simple dresses on there hope this helps

All the best x

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I had 2 10 year old girls as BMs. I found a lot of designers do junior maid dresses, these are similar style to the adult versions but made for childs/early teens bodies with out the corsets. Forever Yours have a good range. I had my girls' made though as I couldn't get the right colours from FY or the right style from SS (who had the right colours).

This is the best photo I have of them on this computer. They were actually cheaper to have made than to buy from a shop;

HTH

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content

That's a lovely picture Sarah-Kay! You have the same colours as I am going for ? The pink bridesmaid dresses look lovely too, without being too grown-up.

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Next have some lovely dresses: http://search.next.co.uk/search?p=Q&lbc=next&uid=500028131&ts=v8&w=bridal&af=gattgender:oldergirls&isort=score&method=and&filter=subset:4201&nxtv=0&nxti=0

It's odd though isn't it - I have a 10 and teeny 12 year old and not sure whether I can go ecru/ivory with them or if it'll look too little girly.

EDIT - Flutterbye - I love the pink dress on next - wouldn't that work for your little ones?

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

Thank you

The adult ones were ordered from Alexia Designs, but were all long, we then had a change of plan and kept one long, had one made knee length (was meant to be 50's style but the netting didn't look right) and one into a pencil skirt. Getting them made would have been difficult as one lives in Holland, but a different seamstress altered each dress.

I didn't want the girls in red too as it would have looked a bit too much, so chose a dusky pink to lighten it up a bit.

• flutterbye
    Beginner
    flutterbye ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, that's really pretty too! That could definitely work, or the same style in ivory, if I change the sash for a red one to match my older bridesmaid and me. I never realised that all these high street shops do girls bridesmaid dresses ?

I shall save some pictures and hopefully come up with something for her.

• sazelbean
    Beginner February 2010
    sazelbean ·
    • Hide content

Bsb - i have 2 younger bridesmaids (8and 10) and i have gone for the next dresses. They look lovely but will be replacing the sashes with red ones to match my older bridesmaids. They also have funky shoes and nice jewellery to dress them up and make them look a bit older without too old in 'proper' dresses.I did do a lot of consulting with their mum and we had a good girlie day out trying on different things Smiley smilex(sorry about the italics - can't seem to turn it off!!)

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Oh thanks Sazelbean - are the sashes detachable then - I was wondering 'cos they looked fixed!

• sazelbean
    Beginner February 2010
    sazelbean ·
    • Hide content

Yes - and the material of the dresses is lovely and soft with a very comfortable cotton 'vest' underneath. I was worried that the 'netting' bit would be rough b ut its very soft

The girls love them Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics