Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner August 2013

£180 for dress alterations - is that reasonable?!

EmmaIsEngaged, 26 November, 2012 at 15:38 Posted on Planning 0 11

I stupidly ordered my wedding dress without checking the price for alterations. I've just found out that the shop will charge me £180! Is that reasonable?! How much are you brides paying for your alterations?

I'm stressing out as it is because I ordered my dress at Berketex Bride, thinking they had a branch in Norwich, and I've discovered the Norwich shop has closed Smiley sad Googling "Berketex Bride customer services" hasn't helped - I found plenty of horror stories about bad service there!

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks x

11 replies

Latest activity by *AJS*, 26 November, 2012 at 19:57
  • *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying £250 to have my dress made to measure, which includes any alterations when it comes in.

Did this because had I ordered a standard size, I would have had to have had about £200 worth of alterations anyway, due to my tiny top half and massive bottom!

I actually don't think £180 is that bad.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

What are you having done for that? And what's the dress like?

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

I think that's about normal.

I'm paying £160 to have it taken up slightly, have the strap tightened and taken in slightly at the bust.

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

I've just paid for my dress alterations today! The shop uses a seamstress and just charges what they charge, so mine were £150.

I think it's pretty reasonable when you think what goes into it. Mine has several layers of netting underskirt (8 I think!) and is lace, so has to be rehemmed etc. They do all the alterations by hand too, so it's intensive work.

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    EmmaIsEngaged ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks everyone for your replies - reassuring to know you're all paying similar amounts Smiley smile

This is my dress - Opal by Rosetta Nicolini:

I'm like you Kirstabubble - I have a small top half and big bum and hips! So they've ordered me a big size (can't bring myself to tell you the number!!) and they need to make the top half quite a bit smaller, as well as making sure the length is right for the shoes I get.

Silly of me not to factor in the cost of alterations, really - and there was me thinking my dress was within budget! Whoopsie!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Yep seems about right. Lovely dress.

If you were just having the hem taken up I'd say it was a bit much but any work around the bodice instantly means more work and therefore more moolah!

• L
    Beginner March 2013
    lumc86 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is also a flat rate of £180 - regardless of what work needs doing. Mine will need to be taken out a bit around the bum/hips/thigs, but taken in a bit around the bust, the straps will need shortening, and then it will need taking up. As my dress is lace, and the skirt has a lace trim all the way around the bottom, this will need taking off by hand, then the dress wil be shortened, then the trim will be stitched back on again! So quite a lot of work for mine!

But to answer your question, £180 seems about average from what ive heard!

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    EmmaIsEngaged ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks, glad you like it! Smiley smile I think it's even nicer in the flesh - it really suits my hourglass/pear-shaped figure and I remember feeling fabulous in it! I would like to try it on again - I have to go to Peterborough which is a bit of a pain, but hopefully it should be worth it!

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

From talking to friends who got married I am estimating my alterations to be around £150 but it does depend on what needs doing but until I go for my first fitting I wont really know.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Mine cost £250 to bring it in just a bit on top and to re-size the bolero from a 28 to an 18- (ex shop sample)

• *AJS*
    Beginner December 2012
    *AJS* ·
    • Hide content

My alterations were £110. That was just to have the hem taken up and a bustle added!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics