Skip to main content
Kayleigh
Dedicated October 2023 Bristol

2 years in advance, people being downers

Kayleigh, 21 January 2022 at 14:31 Posted on Planning 0 13
Saved
Has anyone else booked 2 years in advance and found people are weird about it? Like "oh, why so far?" Or "how are you so excited when it's that far away?" As if people don't get excited about and booked holidays that far in advance 🙄 it really grates on me... I don't expect others to match my excitement but don't try and make me feel silly about it...

13 replies

Latest activity by Ostira, 25 April 2022 at 14:55
  • R
    Super July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·

I wouldn't take it personally - their questions may just be curiosity/making conversation rather than being critical. If you feel people are being really negative, then I'd just avoid discussing it with them.

(We had the opposite problem - 'why are you in such a hurry?' and 'wow, that's quick'. Sometimes you just can't win!)

• E
    Savvy April 2022 Essex
    Emma ·
    I honestly believe people will have an opinion on your wedding no matter what you do. I have friends who are getting married in 2/3 years and get “why are you waiting so long”.
    me and my partner are getting married less than 7 months from our engagement date and we get told “wow, so soon!” or asking me if I am pregnant which is why we are getting married soon after engagement.
    Just ignore them, no matter what you do wether you get married after 1 month or 10 years or have a small or big wedding people will always have an opinion to give!
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    We are the opposite, got engaged in May 2021 and wedding is April 2022, people are like oh that's quick, why don't you want to wait?? You will never win and in honesty is no one's business! You do you Hun, no ned to explain your choices
  • Sophiehannah
    Savvy June 2023 Cheshire
    Sophiehannah ·
    We did yes, we booked our wedding in May 2021 for June 2023.
    It gives us plenty of time to save and plan properly without rushing and panicing.
  • Sophy
    Beginner September 2023 Wiltshire
    Sophy ·
    Hi, we have had the same too. Got engaged in October 2021 and have booked our venue for September 2023.
    In the first week of being engaged I got 'why wait, you've been together for 7 years do you not want to do it sooner?'
    Also, 'if your waiting two years I would start thinking of coming off your contraception now' (this one was from a cleaner at work, who doesn't really know me at all!)
  • Abigail
    Dedicated March 2023 Northumberland
    Abigail ·

Hi, Yeah we got this a lot.

I think it has a lot to do with people not realising how much weddings actually cost and how much time and effort is required. Everyone has a vision for their wedding day, sometimes booking in advance is the only way. We got engaged in 2018, we took time to enjoy our engagement had a big engagement party, people asked why? why we werent getting married straight away etc etc, I explained to them as i was still a student at the time it was not physically possible to book a wedding with only a student loan. Then when we booked our wedding last year for March 2023 people were like that is still so far away, why not sooner. Yet again i found myself explaining why. Why should we have to explain ourselves, it is our day and we can have it when we like and we need time to save as weddings are not cheap. So don't feel silly for booking in advance as it gives you a saving target to work towards. Plus with the ongoing pandemic we did not know what was going to be happening this year, so its definitely better to book in advance. Hope this is okay and is not to ranty! I just totally understand and can empathise with how you feel getting asked this all the time xx

• M
    Super July 2023 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    I wish i could understand how your feeling but i dont as no one will be at mine besides kids x💗 but i think no matter how long or how close people will still say somethin x 💗
  • Littlemy
    Dedicated April 2022 Kent
    Littlemy ·
    We booked in 2020 and our getting married in April. Don't take it personally as 2 years in advance is a long time. Plod on and quietly sort your arrangements and you will find closer to the time people will start getting excited with you
  • Vibe
    Beginner May 2024 Rotterdam
    Vibe ·
    View quoted message

When you booked it 2 years in advance did you have to pay all of it right away? Or did you have to give a little deposit?

• Sophiehannah
    Savvy June 2023 Cheshire
    Sophiehannah ·
    View quoted message
    We paid £500 deposit, then in June this year we make another payment then the remaining balance 6months before x
  • Sinéad
    Dedicated October 2022 Cork
    Sinéad ·
    You will never keep everyone happy. Two years will fly.
    People don't seem to understand or forget how much time and money goes into planning your dream wedding.
    You be excited and enjoy every minute 🙂
    We will be getting married 18 months after our engagement.We had a few people say I thought you would never get married or assume we were already married 🤣 we've been together 19 years since we were teenagers. Over the years people would ask when are you giving us a day out. 🤣But it those 19 years we have built a great life together and have 2 amazing children. I'm so excited to get married and can't wait to be his wife.
  • Scott
    Beginner April 2022 Connecticut
    Scott ·

That's nuts. Planning two years out is a GOOD thing. Venues can be hard to get a year out, and so can DJs. Plus, you have time to save for your wedding. A few months savings to pay off DJ, then another few for paying off the venue, caterer, etc.

It's your relationship. Just care about the two of you, and everything will be just right!

Chris

Editor Booking My Wedding

• Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    Yes! We got engaged in February and had planned to have the wedding the following February but it won’t be financially viable so we’re having to postpone so we’ve decided on Halloween 2023, peoples reactions were “ oh why so far away?” “The excitement will have fizzled by then” etc it’s not even that far away!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics