Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hyacinth
Beginner

40 day water fast

Hyacinth, 2 of August of 2009 at 22:06 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 34

I've been reading in another forum about some nutter doing this.

A quick google shows its not actually that unusual! but there isn't any real info. Does anyone know the purpose behind it? surely your body would consume itself?

34 replies

Latest activity by Diefenbaker, 3 of August of 2009 at 22:56
  • feathers
    Beginner January 2007
    feathers ·
    • Hide content

Blimey sounds barmy! Would you get water from other things such as fruit / tea / tomatoes and the like? Why would you want to do that?

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

I think the idea is you only have water for 40 days, not that you avoid water!

Don't understand why anyone would want to do this - to lose weight presumably but it can't be healthy. Have just googled and can't believe the amount of stuff out there on this.

I once went 2 weeks without eating a thing but that was at the height of my ED...I was hardly the picture of health!

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, yes its a food fast consuming only water.

Its so annoying when people in the third world are starving for all sorts of reasons, none of which involve wanting too.

I've managed to find abit more out about it, how defensive;

To any of the naystayers, if you actually care (which you don't, you ignorance clearly screams pretence veiled as care, you just like to see your post count increase and your little comment published - you're self absorbed and ignorant - the irony!), you would read up on the countless references there are for fasting. As it happens, my doctor knows I fast. I don't need to be constantly monitored as I am fit and healthy from the 'standard' medical point of view. I am not anorexic, or bulimic. But I did have a chronic addition to cigarettes, weed and coffee for some time. This addiction was emotional, and now I have successfully removed these toxins from my life (during my last fast I finally managed to say goodbye to cigarettes indefinitely - I will explain how I know this later on.) Fasting helps/forces you actually see the addiction in its many spheres, emotional, habitual, physical etc. The clarity and emotional evolution is nothing short of spectacular. It's similar to what happens when the hunger disappears - your senses clearly separate. You smell food and think, ' wow that smells great' but it does not trigger feelings hunger. In the opposite spectrum, You can smell a cigarette a street away. My friend wants me to come to her house next week to 'sniff' her wardrobes. She was told the tenant that stayed in her room while she was away did not smoke and does not believe them! Haha. But anyway. Point is, fasting is amazing if you know what you are doing and are doing it for the right reasons. A person with an eating disorder anorexia or bulimia should not fast, but that is obvious to an informed person. When I talk of emotional addition to food, I am referring to the same emotional addiction you will find 95% of the western population have (and certainly the naystayers of which I'm willing to put money on the possibility they are insecure, overweight and very unhappy with their lives and the lack of emotional control they have in it).

Basically what I a doing is admitting that while I am strong, I am not perfect I am very committed to being as enlightened as I can in this lifetime. I am committed to paying forward some beautiful karma to my next life. I am very curious and I am passionate about seeking information about the unknown, naturally. I am committed with conquering my weakness' in order to uncover more and repeat. In doing so I know I will be able to help others help themselves.

• sdaisy22
    Beginner October 2008
    sdaisy22 ·
    • Hide content

Is that the person who's done it from the forum you mentioned? I suppose the person writing that is defensive because they've had a lot of criticism in the past....because it's a totally mad idea!

It can't be healthy fasting for 40 days, unless perhaps you were absolutely huge in the first place. Even so, I can imagine it could lead to osteoporosis (sp?) and all sorts of other problems later in life.

All the stuff about willpower, heightened senses and not being hungry etc...sounds v. like sentiments I heard (& felt myself) when I was being treated for my ED as well. I think to be able to deprive yourself of food for 40 days, there's no way you can possibly have a healthy relationship with food and with your body.

Seems quite sad really.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, it was the woman on the 40 day fast. I bet she gets a good talking to from everyone she tells!

I don't really see how you can go back to a healthy relationship either. Its a shame.

• feathers
    Beginner January 2007
    feathers ·
    • Hide content

Doh! Completely wrong end of the stick, sorry! ?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I think i read about a medical case when a woman did this and was seriously ill. She may have even died, i can't quite remember. But i think the report also said there was a 'trained fasting nutritionist' or something like that, supposedly guiding her through the 'diet'. I think the woman ended up drinking too much water, which can seriously harm you.

Its just one of the maddest ideas i've heard. The woman who you quoted sounds to me like she doesnt have a healthy relationship with food, and like she has quite an addictive personality. I would imagine she's actually addicted to the feeling of control and 'heightened senses' rather than a food addiction.

• wodger_woo
    Beginner March 2007
    wodger_woo ·
    • Hide content

This reminds me of that crazy american woman that was about years ago saying that humans didn't need food and could live off sunlight ?

Her book was a best seller in america as I recall and several people died from following it.

I remember her being on This Morning (when it was Richard and Judy) - Richard really laid into her. She made some ridiculous claims that there were a group of people who were liberated from Auchwitz who had followed the diets principles and far from being very ill she said, and I can quote because the insanity of the statement is ingrained in my brain.

"They looked like they had been at a health farm" ?

Looks like food mentalism is still alive and well then

• Diefenbaker
    Beginner September 2008
    Diefenbaker ·
    • Hide content

Good grief. She sounds like an utter fruitloop.

Why 40 days anyway? Is it a Biblical reference?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Christ ?

I remember reading an article about her actually - didn't she do some kind of controlled experiment and bail out after three days because she claimed she was getting the wrong kind of air?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmuheenhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasmuheen

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Some classic stuff here too

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breatharian

'In the "Question and Answer" section of his website, Brooks explains that the "Double Quarter-Pounder with Cheese" meal from McDonalds ossesses a special "base frequency" and that he thus recommends it as occasional food for beginning breatharians. He then goes on to reveal that the secret of Diet Coke is "liquid light".'

??

• Sparkley
    Beginner September 2007
    Sparkley ·
    • Hide content

40 days without food??????

But where would you get your vitamins from? Surely your hair would fall out? You would lose massive amounts of weight and you wouldn't have any energy. I bet it is something to do with some mad religion. Crazy woman!

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Dangerous and deeply unhealthy.

DIdn't we recently have a woman that died of malnutrition after eating only soup (didn't get enough essential fatty acids) ?

• wodger_woo
    Beginner March 2007
    wodger_woo ·
    • Hide content

Yes that's the one Sophie.

She was on This Morning "defending" her principles after the family of one of the people who died following her book hired a PI to follow her and she was seen to be eating fairly regularly. I guess they must have had the right sort of air at Auschwitz!

I remember her making me so angry (I think I was coming to terms with my own eating issues at the time) ...hence why I remember so much about the interview.

If people want to be food mentalist then, each to their own but I really can't stand it when they force their garble psuedo-science on others making outlandish health claims. Mind you we only needed to look at the bloody success of "dr" Gillian Mckeith to see that it is still happening regularly around us.

Getting back to what that person has written about the 40 day water fast it doesn't look too far removed to what is written on a lot of pro-anorexia websites ☹️

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS.

Don't get me started on GM ️?️

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

I read a bit more on it last night and there was a guy who had alledgely freuqently done fasts such as this and had a website detailing it. He said people who criticised it were ignorant, and repeated abotu 12 time sthat he had testomonies from "19 MDS" saying it was a healthy thing to do. whoop whoop.

According to her blog shes on day 9 now. only water, water enemas, gentle wlaking and light yoga. Apparently her legs are very heavy as "thats where the most toxins are stored"

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Oh and i should point out she was 200 pounds and has gone down to 189 in 9 days, so she is overweight (great healthy relationship with food that fasting gives you eh?)

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Pleeeeease send us a link, H?

• Carrie74
    Beginner June 2007
    Carrie74 ·
    • Hide content

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't there a religion that regularly fasts (not Muslim Ramadan fasting, perhaps a Hindi fasting? I can't remember). And I think the Bible says something about Jesus fasting before his baptism? Is she doing it to reach religious enlightenment (not that I'm condoning it - I think it's a loopy thing to do to yourself, but some people do odd things in the name of religion...).

• Diefenbaker
    Beginner September 2008
    Diefenbaker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wondered that too ( and asked about the religious significance) especially as it's for 40 days.

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

I think during Ramadam people are expected to fast from sun up to sun down, so can eat when it's dark.

<sigh> 18 months ago this would have been a 20 pager by now. Pfft.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Jains sometimes fast for quite long periods, although nowhere near 40 days, I think. There's also some stuff on Wikipedia about Jains deliberately killing themselves trhough fasting but it doesn't sound as if that's what this nutjob is attempting.

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

40 days of water??????? That's insane. How can you possibly live on that?

40 days of wine sounds like a much better idea to me. There must be more nutrition in wine than water!

(and there was a girl I used to work with who worked in the cafe here. She fasted as part of her religion. Can't remember which religion it was, sorry! Although I think she was alllowed certain things. I always thought it was really cruel that she worked in a cafe when she couldn't eat!)

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content

Can I point out I was researching NLP on one of their other forums? ?

https://stevepavlina.com/join/conscious-growth-club/

The vaccine thread is a hell of a read too <whistles>

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

*** me, and I thought there were annoying people on hitched ?

• wodger_woo
    Beginner March 2007
    wodger_woo ·
    • Hide content

Un-believe-able! Consider my gob well and truely smacked.

Himalayan salt enemas, gunge coming out from her teeth.....the mind boggles

• HeidiHole
    Beginner October 2003
    HeidiHole ·
    • Hide content

"Welcome to the Personal Development for Smart People Forums"

Ok then ?

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

? Someone should post a link to this thread so she can come on and rant at the "naystayers" gwangwangwan you know you want to...

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am a bit worried about the crazy voices in her head telling her to eat cous cous ?

I went a week without eating after my Dad died suddenly, although looking back I did have coffee with milk and must have had some food, if only a bite or two every couple of days. Erm, this was through sheer trauma rather than choice/ seeking spiritual enlightenment.

I lost 10lbs off my 9st something though, so goodness only knows what you'd lose if you were carrying some poundage, and after 40 days. Surely most people would die before they finished the fast? Their poor bodies <shudder>

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

OMG ? unbelievable. I am sad to see the 17 year old bulimic planning on going down this dangerous route though - how awful. That poor person needs proper help, not to follow this bunch of loonies.

• Roobarb
    Beginner January 2007
    Roobarb ·
    • Hide content

OMG I have made the mistake of looking at the rest of the forum "I do not think I will get my kids vaccinated" I will have to shut that page down before my head explodes.

• Hyacinth
    Beginner
    Hyacinth ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know ? what contagious disease could my child possibly get? Its all a government conspiracy don'tcha know'

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics