Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner June 2016

40k budget!!

Toyaht, 13 of December of 2014 at 23:07 Posted on Planning 0 131

Hi

were getting married in june 2016, we have not chose our venue yet but we're hoping to get thorton manor in cheshire. we've worked out that venue will most likely cost us around 20k including catering and rooms for some guest. (we have around 230 guest overall, by the way) i am worried that the rest of the budget (20k) wont be enough for the rest of the stuff needed for a wedding. please note that i do like really over the top things e.g lots of flowers, entertainment, grand decor and im hoping to get 2 dresses ?

what do you guys think, do you think 20k will be enough?

Please help x

131 replies

Latest activity by katieJ2b, 5 of July of 2016 at 13:58
  • C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

Your budget is higher than a lot of brides, you can easily do everything with the money even with looking for lots of extravagent things

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

You will be fine with that budget. If you need any help with a rough breakdown, ask away.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

You shouldn't have any problems with that budget but make sure you write everything down because it can get out of hand and before you know it its doubled??

• T
    Beginner June 2016
    Toyaht ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, fingers crossed!

im using the budget planner on here and that kind of helps but im just worried that it wont be everything i dreamnt off

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

You can have a big a budget or as small a budget as you want as long as you know your breakdowns an excel sheet will help with that.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^^^^^ Breakdown everything, start at what is most important first then get quotes and work your way through the list, try not to do it all at once or you will get bored, well I did anyway? got two weddings to organise and my head hurts already?

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

You need to prioritise what is important to you and get a few quotes in to give you an idea. Everything varies greatly depending on what you are looking for.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    mrsgzd ·
    • Hide content

Most of the girls on here have done it for a lot less so I'm sure you will be fine. I'd get a few quotes for things before booking to compare prices and try not mentioning the word wedding where possible until actually booking as the price rockets the second the word is mentioned.

I'm sure you will cope though, it's a massive amount of money

• S
    Beginner February 2015
    sky52 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I suppose its all relevant, you could or could not get everything you want from a 3k or a 40k budget, but if you want more than you can afford to spend, then you wont. Therefore no matter what the budget you need to plan, shop around and prioritise. After a few weeks/months of wedding planning you will see how much things really cost, and what's important and what is not, and it will be easier to see you can have your amazing day within your personal budget. This may mean acceptance. There are a few things I would have loved to have spent more on, but I could not justify it and it was out of budget, so I just accepted I have what I love within my means.

So good luck with planning Smiley smile

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I'm a wedding photographer so attend a lot of weddings! What you spend on your wedding isn't related to how amazing the day is, or how happy it makes you.

I am fortunate to cover brides of all budgets, for some of them I am 20% of their total budget. I have seen receptions where the food is served on paper plates with plastic cutlery - each wedding is beautiful and every bride looks amazing.

You can certainly get everything you need for your budget. You still need to prioritise and stick to budgets. Make sure it doesn't take over your life.

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

Even though you like nice things, you may find yourself saying 'how much?!!' for certain things. its not that you dont have the money, its that some things are a rip off. try for the 20k budget, go more if you do need to, but dont get ripped off simply because you can afford something.

• pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

40k is a massive amount of money for one day, a lot of people on here get married with much smaller budgets so I am sure you will manage to get what you want on your budget, you could maybe ask your guests to pay for their own rooms????

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!!!

Also some of the best weddings I've ever photographed were on a relatively small budget.

• Rhys Parker
    Rhys Parker ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!!!

Also some of the best weddings I've ever photographed were on a relatively small budget.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I love that photo in your signature, Rhys.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I had a £100k budget and really struggled to get everything I wanted. The wedding dress cost me just 10k alone!!

I think 40k seems a little bit low actually, especially if you're spending 20k on the venue. I mean, with 230 guests... if you have wedding favours like I did (coco chanel for the ladies and bollinger for the gents) 40k just wont do it!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

?

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Ali! ?

Op you have exactly 5 times my budget, I'm sure you'll cope.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

But Ali G didn't the Hello exclusive photo rights payment help towards your budget? ?

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Your budget is £37k more than mine.... Lol

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine too. And I was originally hoping to get it done in 2k, but that hasn't happened Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

No matter the budget it's only enough if you budget there's always something else you could have an upgrade somewhere or something bigger so in reality no amount is ever enough if your tastes don't allow it to be.. If you get my drift

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Ali you crack me up!! My own poor little £3k budget and I feel much better now!!!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

£40k is over 2 years of complete salary for our family of 3 + pets lol

we have to live off it and save to have our wedding, safe to say it wont be as 'over the top' as the OPs

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsMtobe2016 ·
    • Hide content

Ali G - Too funny!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

Ali - ? this thread has cheered up my morning.

OP - You'll probably be ok, but may not be able to have all the things you want to have. Even a large budget can be blown quite easily if you're not sensible about it.

I agree with Paula that weddings aren't better because the couple has spent more on them. They are memorable because the guests can see how happy the couple are and the day represents them and is individual. Try and focus on making the day a reflection of you and OH rather than focusing on cramming in 'over the top' things (whatever you mean by that).

Your post sounds like you want your wedding to be ostentatious. I'm a bit puzzled by that tbh.

Hope you enjoy the planning and get some perspective on what is important to you.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Pahahahahahaha!

I am in no position to advise on how to spend 40k, as my budget is just a ssmall fraction of yours, bit like the others said, list your priorities and then allocate your budget accordingly!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    McHelenz ·
    • Hide content

I could't work out if this thread was real or not...

I thought I was going OTT because our budget was starting to get towards 10k. Each to their own but I can think of lots of things to spend that money on Smiley smile.

I think you'll get all you want and more for that money.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I dont believe its real not necessarily from the amount (even though I think its a stupid amount I know people down south can spend 30k easily somehow) but more from the phrasing or if it is real then think the OP has issues in her life

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Well now, let's not be too harsh with the psychoanalysis. We don't know anything about the OP and her lifestyle. Maybe she and her OH (or maybe their parents) are high earners and if so, why shouldn't they spend their money as they see fit? Yes most of us had a fraction of that budget, but that doesn't mean it's wrong to spend that much money on a wedding if you want to. I think the other concern is that they may just want to use the wedding as a display of ostentatiousness, which I also feel is a bit vulgar - as Rachel in Friends once said, "it's a theme wedding, and the theme is 'Look how much money we've got!'" - but again, y'know, each to their own.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

This ^^^^

ID - The quote is spot on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics