Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Luna_12
Beginner October 2012

a little bit devastated

Luna_12, 12 June, 2011 at 17:51 Posted on Planning 0 68

Hey everyone

There was a photographer in my area that I have used before for family photo sessions etc and I loved his wedding photography. I went to the shop the other day and found the shutters down, the business has either moved or closed ?. So now Im starting to worry. My budget is only £1100 for the photographer and that is the maximum I can spend. We havent booked a venue yet (doing this at the end of July). To me though aside from the venue the most important things are the photographer and the wedding rings, as stupid as it sounds Im really upset and panicking a bit that I cant find the guy I wanted. Does anyone know of any photographers that could either travel to merseyside or are based here for that price range?

Thanks in advance

68 replies

Latest activity by Luna_12, 10 August, 2011 at 15:33
  • bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, we're based in Warrington and around that price range.

Have a look at www.rswphotography.co.uk or find us on facebook at www.facebook.co.uk/rswphotography and give me a shout if you need any info.

Hope this helps ?

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much Smiley laugh I will have a look at your site and let my OH know Smiley smile You're not too far away either Smiley laugh

thank you again xxx

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Awww don't be devastated, it can be fixed ?. Have you tried searching Google for the company if you know their name as like you said, they could have just moved. If you don't have any luck then feel free to drop me an email and we can have a chat about if I can help ******@*************.**.**.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much daffodilwaves ?

Ive checked for them but their site hasnt been updated for a little while and says theyre still in the shop that is now closed ?

I will drop you an email soon hopefully xxx

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

That's a shame! No problem at all lovely. Hope to speak to you soon x

• P
    project1p ·
    • Hide content

Hi Luna, just sent you an email with an idea you might be interested in...

Luke

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

As DW says, they could still well be operating.

I know of loads of togs who still operate but have shut up shop due to reduced demand. A studio can cost upwards of 15k a year just to rent in a good area...and you have to do a LOT of trade to make it pay.

Maybe they stopped and specialize in just weddings?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Frankly if you can't find a decent photographer that gives you a decent package for under £1100 then you're not looking hard enough.

Cost of photographer is absolutely no indication of the quality of their work.

We looked at one photographer whose package was way beyond our budget, but when you looked into it he used italian leather albums starting at £400 for the album itself, before you even put any pictures into it. We don't need anything like that - a £20 from Smiths will be more than adequate for our needs.

The wedding photography market is pretty saturated in most parts of the country, and you have quite a lot of time really, so my best suggestion is to get thee along to the next wedding fair you find and see what's on offer there.

Have you tried googling his name? As you said yourself, he might well just have moved.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sorry I thought I had already mentioned googling him and the only thing that came up was his website that hadnt been updated for a while and only gave the old shop number and email address, Ive had no reply to the email ☹️.

I found him at a wedding fair (my sisters wedding 8 years ago), he was the best photographer in the area and his wedding photography packages were quite extensive (hence being quite fixed on having him for the wedding), his quality was unquestionable.

To me I dont have that much time ? I like to be organised.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Are you willing to share his name? Someone might be able to find something, or one of the pro photographers that posts here might know something.

• Hide content

You get what you pay for...to a point.

I've seen some work from togs who charge 5k and my stuff is better.

What's the name of the photographer you were looking for? I like a bit of snooping and may be able to find them.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

That's the other end of the argument, yes, but my point still stands. You don't have to pay thousands to get a good job. Often the price is higher because of 'extras' such as really expensive albums which you may not want - so it's not always easy to compare expensive and inexpensive.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

It was Simon Clitheroe based Wirral, Cheshire/Merseyside ? All I can find is the old address.

Chris thats why I liked his work, for what he offered others were charging a hell of a lot more and it was rediculus.

Thank you for the offers of help x

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I understand what you mean, sometimes they charge you extra for the little bits that you could do for cheaper yourself. Especially the albums ? but I do agree with Trickers and as daft as it probably sounds this was one area of the wedding I was not prepared to compromise on budget for, our photo's will last forever, the other was the rings lol. xxx

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, I thought i was scrimping hehehe xxx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Not a fact at all. "By your standards" perhaps. But we all have different standards and requirements.

We're very happy with our photographer, he's giving us exactly the package we want for well under £1000. It may not meet your requirements but they suit ours.

• Hide content

Http://forums.confetti.co.uk/Forums/weddings_bride-groom_simon-clitheroe-images-wirral

No longer trading and a few problems.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm £949 all day and image supply. You didn't see me then? ?

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your help Chris I really appreciate it. Im really sad for him and his wife they were so lovely. He says he is replying to emails, so he is probably getting around to them when he can. I better get my tush into gear and keep looking for a new tog,

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

There are 2 issues here

1. how much should coverage cost

2. what products do you want / are being offered

If there is a clear deliniation between products and services in the pricing structure of the photographer untangling the two is easy

In my eyes nowadays the photographer ought to be able to make a living from providing coverage

However, you need to factor in a few things

- Is it right to cover more than one wedidng a day? or even in a weekend (these are both out of the question for me)

- If you demand an experienced professional photographer, who makes a living mainly from shooting weddings, you have to accept that for him to stand in front of you and do his job, you need to pay enough for him to make a living & make enogh profit to buy gear and sustain a business etc. etc. I know that this is unpaletable for some, but experience, skill and devotion come at a price that needs to be paid for

In terms of the products, again, you need to make a profit enough to cover your costs, risks and time involved in producing the goods

Real full time professional wedding photographers , firstly do the job to make a living, and secondly do the job because they love doing it. They might start doing the job because they love doing it, but eventually loving the job dosnt pay the bills

• Hide content
    View quoted message

I did 4 x 10-11 hour days back to back over the Easter weekend.

Thurs: Arundel Town Hall

Fri: The Old Ship Hotel

Sat: Brighton Royal Pavilion

Sunday: Buxted Park

On the days leading up to this I rested....but it was freeking amazing to do and the buzz was incredible and I'd do it again in a flash.

As long as you make sure you're prepared (and in good health) it's not an issue. I tend to put my feet up in Jan-Feb when there's fewer to do.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto AJ, ours were the best we had met out of 8 togs and are less than £1k.

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

I know. Just voicing my findings aswell.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whilst it's certainly essential to have a budget in mind for all aspects of your wedding plans (and an overall budget), I think it's foolish to discount things that are a little above, or under, what you envisaged paying - saving £300 on a photographer, for example, means you have £300 that you could spend increasing something else, or having additional entertainment, fireworks, a car when you weren't planning on one, etc etc.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Luna - I hope you get something sorted and the two lovely ladies on the first page of this thread can help you.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha. You never fail to amaze me.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Depends where in the country you are AJ! Good photographers in my area charge upwards of £1,000. Most are between £1,400 -£2,000.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

My photographers were ok, not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. I had issues on the day with their quietness (seriously, just speak up a bit more and people will hear you) reluctance to be flexible on coverage, and the final product (which I sent back to be re-edited) and really wish I had shopped around more.

My husband (yes that is still weird!) is not the creative type and didn't understand the differences in the photographers work that I saw and certainly couldn't accept the variation in cost for "one day" - yes we had the conversation about it being more than one day etc. etc. but he just didn't get it.

So I compromised on cost and really wish I hadn't and had pushed for the tog that I really wanted... yes my photos are ok but could have been soooo much better.

The one you are searching for has had many issues highlighted on t'other forum... I would steer clear.

But I would also say that I agree that in most cases (not all) you get what you pay for in photography. You may be lucky and get someone who is just starting out but is out of this world amazing, or you could end up paying over the odds for nothing, but I think that these situations are rare.

All that is left after the wedding is you and your husband, your rings, your memories and your photographs...

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

they all seem to be upwards of £1000 here to for the top packages.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah but you know what forums can be like ?

On the issue of pricing, look, when I started out I was £200 for all day, I had to to build a portfolio up, build up my level of expertise etc to the point where I am today. Every photographer, their costs, their circumstances and their position in their career are different.

You have to factor demographics as well as economics into the game. A photographer in Scotland will generally be cheaper than those in the south. This could be down to the general cost of living, amount of competition or numbers in the local population.

The amount of debt someone else has can determine how much they charge, or need to charge to survive. Some togs just want to do 20 weddings a year and charge accordingly, some are happy to do 40.

• Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thankyou CB xxxx

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Indeed, "the top package" is the key phrase in your statement.

Our photographer's top package is £1600 but obviously we didn't go for that as our budget was a lot lower - it included a big album (14x10 photobook of 60 pages).

Although some will start from £1000+, not all do.

Perhaps I would have had less flak if I'd elaborated a bit and said that a higher price is not an automatic guarantee of better work.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine isn't the top package, it's an all day disc only package. But the good togs in my area charge upwards of £1,000 for that. If you wanted an album as well, you'd be looking at £2,000. But then I do live in the south. Everything is expensive down here!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics