Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner

A very special place in Scotland?

Phoenix DK, 25 August, 2011 at 14:35 Posted on Planning 0 17

Both my H2B and I have been married before and for that and other reasons neither of us fancy a church ceremony.. My H2B has a dream of getting married "on a mountain" - or at least on a hill or with a stunning view of one.

What makes it a little complicated is the fact that we live in Denmark so our knowledge of places and options is limited to the internet.

Having been to Scotland on several occations we do know that the weather is unpredictable, so I'm thinking that a location with a small, romantic pavillion (or "something") would be grand. We don't mind WHERE in Scotland.

Oh, - and we will be only us + 5 of our closest friends. ANY suggestions at all? We're very open to ideas of any kind - but we DO NOT HAVE UNLIMITED FUNDS ?

Please bare with my English since it is not my native language

17 replies

Latest activity by cleo231, 27 August, 2011 at 16:29
  • (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

The first place I thought of was Aviemore take a look it is absoloutly stunning and only very small. Sorounded by the Cairngorn and Grampian mountains.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I don't know how you would go about arranging to get married there, but the most beautiful place in Scotland that i have every seen (and i live in the countryside in Scotland) is Glen Coe. There is a visitors centre there and the backdrop of the Glen is stunning. There is also Buchel Etive mor which sits at the bottom of the glen which to me is one of the most amazing sights and getting married either on it or at the foot of it, even on a miserable day would be quite epic. (see picture below)

You could also get married on Ben Nevis which is the highest peak in Britain. (the top is only visible once every 10 days which might make it a bit difficult to get married on a clear day)

My only advice would be not to pick a winter month to do it as those road can be closed due to snow.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I'd contact the Scottish Tourist Board and ask them to put you in touch with local areas. You can then discuss possibilities. I know that in Scotland you can have a religious wedding outdoors, but I'm not sure about a civil wedding.

I'm a climber/mountaineer myself, so for accessible (my favourite parts of Scotland aren't easy to get to) areas, I'd look round Glencoe (the Kingshouse Inn has a stunning view of Buchaille Etive Mor), or Aviemore (can't think of a nice hotel there though, but you're right by the Cairngorms). My personal favourite area is Torridon, but I'm not sure about hotels. Hmm actually have a google for the Torridon Inn, they may be licenced for weddings and in the heart of remote mountains.

I've suggested hotels because Scottish mountains are big! Not high in world terms, but definitely big. You're looking at a good few hours of walking to get to the top of most, so you may not want to do that in a wedding dress.

Alternatively, what about at the side of a loch? The Loch Lomond Hotel (I think that's the name, it's the big one on the A82 anyway) has a wedding license and on a good day you'd be looking across to Ben Lomond, and it's not that far from Glasgow if you're flying. If you want remote, see if the Applecross Inn has a license - it's on the coast in the far North West but you'd be driving for a fair few hours to get there.

If I can help more, please let me know

xC

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I would say that the best place would be the Cairngorms, you can hire the restaurant on the mountain and you and your guests travel on the train to get there. Have a look at https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/page/weddings-0?p=/page/private-parties to give you an idea.

• P
    Beginner
    Phoenix DK ·
    • Hide content

The thing is though, that we don't want it to be a restaurant - but more a "self catering" event. It dosen't have to be a "sporting event" (rather not! Smiley winking) as long as the scenery is beautiful.

I am familiar with Aviemore and the different sites of the Scottish Board of Tourism - including the different mountains - but I'm looking for something more intimate and definately more specific and I was hoping for some sort of woodden pavillon on a mountain side or a small chapel close to a romantic self catering lodge or in that direction..

The closest I've come so far is Ossian's Hall http://www.nts.org.uk/Property/57/ - but the interieur is dreadfull and it's hasn't got the free view of the horizon that my H2B would love..

• big_red
    Beginner November 2012
    big_red ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.thelodge-scotland.com/weddings.php

this place looks amazing, I'd love to get married here but my party is too big for the treehouse....... yes, you can get married in a TREEHOUSE!!! If I had a small party like you I'd be there! Smiley laugh

• P
    Beginner
    Phoenix DK ·
    • Hide content

Thank you (all of you!! Smiley winking)

I already was in contact with them a few months ago and the thing is that you have to rent the whole enchilada - and believe me it is as expensie as it is STUNNING!!! ?

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    scarybiscuits ·
    • Hide content

What about this place

https://www.thewhitetower.co.uk/index.htm

looks good for a small wedding

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    scarybiscuits ·
    • Hide content

Or this place by loch lomond:

https://www.loch-lomond-waterfront.co.uk/the-perfect-wedding-venue-a190

there are lodges that you & your guests can stay in too

• D
    Beginner
    Docuphoto ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Have you considered any of the Scottish Islands? Harris in the Outer Hebrides is stunningly beautiful, and this place: www.scaristahouse.com/weddings.html can arrange weddings on the beach - not quite on a mountain, but a fabulous view.

I've also heard of this company based in Perthshire, who run land rover safaris and also offer weddings: www.highlandsafaris.net/leisure/special-occasions/weddings - they have a mobile 'mountain marquee'.

I agree with the suggestions of Glen Coe and Torridon if you want the most gorgeous scenery, though - if you can find somewhere sheltered from the weather.

Good luck!

• T
    Beginner June 2012
    twinkel*t ·
    • Hide content

Ok this is sort of diffrent to things everyone else is showing you but i have been to look myself and it is stunning. It is on a lake but i cant remember atlot about what is about but i remember looking over the lake and it was just feids for miles. We wanted this place our selfs but they are VERY busy. I think they mostly just do wedding packages with your dinner after and things but if you dont want that it is worth speaking to them and seeing if they could do just what you want and this way they have a license to marry you because you cant just pick a beautiful hill and deside to get married they need a license.

http://www.thevu.co.uk/

• P
    Beginner
    Phoenix DK ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all VERY much for your replys ? I will look at it all to see if our special place should be among the suggestions - and of course let you know what we decide ?

There are just so many gorgeous places in Scotland!! ?

• lil_kel
    Beginner September 2013
    lil_kel ·
    • Hide content

We wanted to get married here

/our-hotels/scotland/edinburgh/macdonald-houstoun-house/

But my family were being a nightmare so ended up booking somewhere closer to home.

weve been here a few times for weekends etc and it really is magical!

kelly x

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I can't think of anywhere specific but could you look into hiring small marquee and erect it on a hillside or something. You would probably need to find out who owns the land if any and if it's allowed. Bur if you find somewhere where you can do that. A humanist will marry you anywhere, it doesn't need to be a registered venue. I know my ex colleague did this in Oban a few years back. I'm hopefully meeting with her next weekend for a catch up and will report back!!!

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

There are some lovely ideas here. I think that it is important to include your close, lost ones on the big day. My husband and I ran the London Marathon for charity in memory of my Brother, and asked our guests to sponsor us, instead of a gift list. It gave us the opportunity to enter the marathon, which is notoriously difficiulut to get a place in, and run for a good cause in memory of my Bro. It also kept me fit and slim for the wedding!!!

• P
    Beginner
    Phoenix DK ·
    • Hide content

Actually Looneysh, that is not a bad idea to pick a perfect spot and then bring a marquee ? I'll give that some more thought too - thanks!! ?

• cleo231
    Beginner May 2008
    cleo231 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, just reading your post. I thought I should share what Myself and Mr Cleo did as we had the same plans as you. It does take planning but is do-able. We married 4 years ago at a lovely place in Scotland. We are not scottish so had to plan long distance. Just like you we wanted somewhere different and intimate - great views - perhaps on a lochside, glen or beach. We also wanted intimate and self catering. We hired a house for a week and got married in an ancient church just outside the house's grounds. Like you I was adament I didn't want a church wedding at all, but the church is tiny and ancient. there is a certain amount of legwork involved to planning a wedding in Scotland and we ended up using the services of a wedding co-ordinator (see below) to do the basics for us. She found a minister for us, sorted out a piper and a few other bits and pieces. The house we hired was fully self catering but also came with a housekeeper if you needed her - who we asked to do the wedding lunch for us. 24 of us had a lovely week - with a wedding that we wanted in a great location. The minister was lovely - we wrote our own vows including a celtic handtying blessing. I've attached the links to the house and church - which don't do them justice. but it is within easy access to Inverness airport and from the local nearby beaches you can watch dolphins. i am not saying this is what you want but just to give you some ideas. And if you have any further questions please ask away....... best of luck with your planning.?

https://www.pitcalzeanhouse.co.uk/the-house.html

http://www.highlandweddingbells.com/

http://www.niggoldtrust.org.uk/church.html

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics