Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2024 Greater Manchester

Acknowledgement of family on the big day

Janie, 8 of December of 2022 at 19:43 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 5
The wedding I’m planning with my other half is completely informal we aren’t doing speeches or having ‘roles’. My mum wants me to acknowledge my step dad who has always been there for me. She has made me feel horrible for not having roles or speeches or doing acknowledgments. We have chosen to do our wedding like this to avoid any one being singled out. How do I give my step dad a role without actually giving him a proper role? My partner is walking me down the isle to avoid any upset with my dad or step dad. Any help would be greatly appreciate xx

5 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 9 of December of 2022 at 14:00
  • Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Does it have to be a public celebration of gratitude? Can’t you just have a first look moment with both your dad and step dad or maybe do a personalised card and gift acknowledging him on the day and stuff like that? X
  • J
    Beginner August 2024 Greater Manchester
    Janie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow. I have so many ideas now. I had never thought of this. Thank you so much xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Agree with Sarah on this there is loads of ways to show how much you appreciate them both x♥️
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

We didn't have 'speeches' as such at our wedding, but my OH did stand up at the end and thank everyone for coming to support us and especially to our families and acknowledged our family members who had died before the wedding took place. It took less than 1 minute to say. So if one of you is confident speaking in front of people, you could do that.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Is your day, do it your way! I am sorry you are in this position, it irks me when people, especially parents make demands. Whilst i see her point of view, ultimately it is your day and if you accommodate it how does it feel for your Dad and others you appreciate? it is quite selfish to put that on you in my opinion. The fact that they are there to celebrate YOUR wedding should be enough. As others say, you could do a first look with your dad and step dad, or if you really wanted to, he could do a reading or be a witness.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics