Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AnnaBanana
Beginner July 2007

advice for a friend suspended from work

AnnaBanana, 1 July, 2009 at 21:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

A friend of mine, S, phoned me today saying he has been suspended from work for a week. Apparently he was pulled in " for a chat" with HR, who told him that they had found some comments slagging off the company on a graduate recruitment website forum. They identified him as the username on the forum was "gingerHIS SURNAME" (he is ginger). Needless to say, it wasn't him, and he hasn't been told much except that he's suspended for a week (on full pay) pending further investigation. he's had a look at the posts on the forum himself (did a search) and they have some inconsistencies to what his carreer inthe company has been, and the poster has mentioned previous employers, which he hasn't been employed in. On the forum there is another post from another employee of the company slagging off, but the name is totally unidentifiable. is it discriminatory that they've singled him out based on his surname? He repeatedly told the Hr person that it clearly wasn't him but he got the feeling their mind was made up!

He is obviously very concerned about this, and it appears his line manager hasn't been told much either. I have advised him to ask the Citizens Advice for some info as to what he can do to protect himself. I suspect the IP address of the poster can be identified? They mentioned that they looked at his internet usage and mentioned that it was quite high, but he uses it for work purposes mainly, and does use it for "entertainment" every so often during the day (who doesn't!), but he's worrying they might jump on that as well and sack him for it???

Just wondered if anyone had any advice for him?

TIA!

ETA - we work in different companies!

4 replies

Latest activity by CBear, 1 July, 2009 at 22:35
  • R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Is he in a Union?

• T
    Beginner October 2008
    tumbleweed ·
    • Hide content

Not too much experience of this but a couple of thoughts:

First off, (unless he's already done it) he should do a full print out of all the relevant posts in case they disappear from the site. It will be easier for him to reply to any accusations if he knows what's been said.

If there's a union or staff representative get them involved.

If he's worried that they will use his personal use of work internet he could make notes of occasions when he knows that the company was aware this was happening. Really bad example, but in my company everything stops for a good viral email so they could hardly complain about someone looking at them at other times.

Beginner January 2007
    *Pipster* ·
    • Hide content

Your poor friend. It might be worth contact acas - www.acas.org.uk

• AnnaBanana
    Beginner July 2007
    AnnaBanana ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all - he will be contacting the Union as well, im not sure which one he is a member of.

He feels so helpless, I think they've handled it very badly and given him next to no information of what he can do to help himself!

• CBear
    Beginner April 2009
    CBear ·
    • Hide content

At the moment, he is just suspended pending an investigation, not as a disciplinary measure. He is entitles to request a copy of grievance/disciplinary procedures so he knows what to expect. Your friend should be called in for an interview at some point, and for this he needs to get his defence together - the inconsistencies and the mention of other companies that you mentioned in your OP. If he's in a union, then fab, he should take his rep along to the meeting. I'd also recommend he give ACAS a call, they should be able to give him a clear picture of his rights.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics