Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner May 2013

Advice on flowers!

popski29, 18 of September of 2012 at 18:03 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello all,

New to Hitched and hoping I can get some advice on wedding flowers.

I pretty much decided I wanted to go with artificial - partly so I could keep them, and partly thinking it might be a bit cheaper. Having got a few quotes from some online places it seems like they are quite expensive - around £70 for a small bridal bouquet as I had said I only wanted something small. £40 each for posies for bridesmaids. Seemed a bit steep to me.

I am debating having a go at making them myself, or getting some quotes for real flowers - we just went to a wedding where the bride and her sister had made everything and they looked lovely. She had attempted it thinking she would see how they turned out and it cost a fraction of what they would have been ready made.

Has anyone attempted making their own? Or does anyone have any recommendations for good florists or artificial flowers in the surrey area?

Thank you!

9 replies

Latest activity by SunnyOrangeFlowers91505, 8 of January of 2020 at 12:37
  • Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My mum has made ours they have cost approx £100 altogether thats three flower girls bouquets, 4 adult bridesmaids and my bouquet which to be fair is quite big. The amounts you have been quoted are quite reasonable I was quoted around the same maybe a little more as ours would have cost £300 + with the cheapest offer x

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

If you go down the real route, I'd recommend Andy Davenport of Wild about flowers in twickenham.

Loads of florists we approached were really sniffy about our budget (which was considerable anyway!) apart from Andy, who said he would produce something stunning for our budget.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, there isn't a huge difference between realistic artificial flowers and fresh these days. Artificial flowers have risen in cost quite steeply over the last 6 months due to the price of oil which is used in their manufacture. There are cheaper ones around (mainly made from foam) which you can find on ebay etc. Most people now tend to choose artificial because they want to keep them really rather than the cost although some varieties do work out cheaper in artificial such as callas, orchids, peonies, lily of the valley and also it's one way of having flowers which aren't in season too.

• Safyre
    Beginner September 2012
    Safyre ·
    • Hide content

I am making my own flowers on Thursday for my wedding on Friday. I'm using real flowers. I have a teeny advantage tho as my sister used to be a florist, so I spent many weekends in my youth working in her shop, and have helped out with a few flower arrangements in the past.

I think it depends on the style of bouquet you want, I want a simple gerbera bouquet, like this (hopefully this works, never flashed before, sorry if its huge!)

• PosieBouquets
    PosieBouquets ·
    • Hide content

£70 sounds a bit steep for a an artificial bouquet but this may depend on the sort of bouquet you're looking for, I presume silk?, Certain artificial flowers can work out a lot cheaper than others so it may be worth contacting florists with your budget and colours you like so they can guide you to something suitable.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

There are shops on ebay that sell artificial flowers much cheaper than that, don't be put off that it's from ebay, they will make them exactly how you want! xxx

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

I got my artificial bouquet and bridesmaid posy fro essex wedding flower shop on ebay... paid £18 for a small one and £35 for a big one and then just postage. all wrapped in pearls the stuff on there is gorgeous check it out!

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is from Silk Blooms. For me it was about cost, guarantee of colours etc and just one less hassle on the day to arrange delivery etc! Plus, the wedding is very indoor say and it will be quite warm, so I'd be worried about real ones wilting. Especially buttonholes. I think these cost the same fresh or artificial.

ebay has some really reasonable deals. I got a red rose (velvety) arrangement from there which I will use on the table for the ceremony. If you want white roses, the foam ones look great and are really reasonable.

• S
    SunnyOrangeFlowers91505 ·
    • Hide content

Im a mom of 2 beautiful kids and a gardener. And i can tell you with experience that you should definitely go for good flower arrangers in your area. Search suppliers on this site if you may. Also another recommendation would be to use a lot of orchids. Make sure to get the perfect pots for orchids, thats important.

Other than that, good luck!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics