Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner July 2012

Alcohol favours anyone?

Wherts2b, 6 July, 2011 at 13:23 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hey girls

We have planned to have alcohol favours for our adult guests but have heard that some venues don't allow this.

We haven't been informed by our venue that we can't, verbally or in any paperwork, so would you risk just going ahead and doing it?

I'm scared that if we ask them they will say no, but if we don't then there's nothing they can do about it if they didn't inform us

Help! xxx

17 replies

Latest activity by Hayse-08/10/11, 6 July, 2011 at 19:11
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Our venue stated no alcoholic favours, and I don't even think liqueur chocolates are permitted. I guess there are two reasons - one being they lose money from their overpriced bar for a captive audience, and secondly the risk of children getting hold of them as kids are more likely to eat a chocolate than steal someone's drink.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I can't give alcohol as a favour as one of my cousins is a recovering alcoholic and I don't want to be responsible for her falling off the wagon.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content

It is annoying when you think they're making more than enough money out of you, and drinks for evening guests. The only reason we're doing it is so that day guests can save a few pounds!

Thinking about it, a videographer gave us a copy of a wedding he did at our venue and they had them on the table.

xx

• S
    Beginner May 2012
    sr3693 ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

we're thinking of having them but we have asked the venue and they said it's fine.

do you mind me asking where you are getting urs from? at the moment the cheapest place I

have found is just minatures.com

are you putting them in bags?

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

We have mini Baileys for our favours. We did check with venue, but as the others have said they have no problem (unless its a crate of lager each ?)

We got them from just miniatures and found them to be really reasonble.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Course not honey.

Well initially we were going to buy them from confetti.co.uk in a glass bottle with personalised label which were £3.33 but worked out cheaper the more you buy.

I then found the following website https://www.miniatureglassbottles.co.uk/index.html where you can buy the glass bottles with free personalised labels if ordering over 25 and they only work out at 70-78p per bottle and then it's more cost effective to buy an economy bottle of vodka or whatever you choose from Supermarket! So that's our plan at the moment.

I've just bought some cute little bows to stick on the top.

xx

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

My BM is getting married soon as she has done alcoholic favours, I'm not sure if they have checked with the venue (do you think I should mention this to her?) SHe is having a minature plus glass with a menu for making a cocktail for the ladies and hot toadies for the gents.

• B
    Beginner September 2011
    blueeyedgirl ·
    • Hide content

We're doing these - baileys / whisky - and got them direct from Diageo thru a friend, worked out pretty cheap like £1.20 each or less. Totally didnt think to check with venue but cant see it being a problem as they are very laid back.

We're tying ribbons round ours in our colour scheme with our names / hearts on, looks v cute but not looking forward to tying so much ribbon! x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Most definitely check - I'm sure she'd hate to find out on the day that they can't give them out, and end up with an argument occurring about it.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Still best to ask though, they may have been charged corkage for them?

I would also be careful with decanting alcohol into other bottles... not sure what the licensing laws have to say about that...

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think it's a case of what they don't know won't hurt them! But to say the bottle company are selling them, I would assume it is suitable.

I hope my guests appreciate all this effort just to save them a trip to the bar!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I could sell certain drug paraphenalia online if I wanted to but it doesn't make drugs any less legal? A bit of an extreme comparison but I hope you get my meaning. Just worth checking imo.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

lol fair point!! Not sure where you could find that out?

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

We're having little bottles of alcohol for favours. I checked with the venue first as I was worried it might get caught up in their corkage fee somehow. They say it's fine though.

I'd recommend asking before you buy.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

We have wedding ale and wedding liqueur - but then we're getting married at a brewery...

• Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

I had miniatures. It was perfect for us as our venue was righ opposite the Penderyn distillery so we had Penderyn Whisky, Gin and Merlin (Baileys). They went down an absolute treat and were well received by the guests. There certainly wasnt any left at the end of the night.

Definitely check with the venue though.

I made boxes for mine that coordinated with my stationery and popped in a Farrero Roche as well as these are my all time fav choccies!!

Nat

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    Hayse-08/10/11 ·
    • Hide content

For the sake of a quick phone call, I think it is worth asking the venue to give peace of mind. I don't think a venue would change their rules based on whether someone asks or not.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics