Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Laurie
Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders

Alteration costs

Laurie, 9 of March of 2023 at 23:20 Posted on Wedding Attire 1 17

Hi,

I know that whatever dress I buy, I'm likely going to need to have it altered to fit. As I try and work out the budget for my dress and veil, I just wanted to get an idea of what people are currently paying for dress alterations?

I'm quite short so hemline is very likely to be one of the things!

17 replies

Latest activity by Lisa, 13 of May of 2023 at 07:23
  • Elizabeth
    Dedicated October 2023 Cumbria
    Elizabeth ·
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on the dress and what needs doing to it. I thought things would only be a few hundred quid but a girl I work with said hers cost almost as much as the dress! I nearly choked when she said that 😂 It had quite elaborate lace at the bottom that was moved up to reduce the height of the dress rather than cutting it off and losing the pattern. My alterations aren’t booked until September and I’m absolutely dreading the cost now after hearing that as mine is full of lace as well.
  • S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

It very much depends on the style of the dress. I paid about £800 for my actual dress, and it’s got a lot of layers, a long train, lots of detail and a corset back. My alterations cost £596.

This was to have it taken up (paying for each layer of fabric), taken in, sleeves added and bustles put in (I needed several because of the weight of the dress).

When I saw how much it would cost, I thought about not adding the sleeves, or having the corset pulled into a tighter lace so it wouldn’t need taking in, but the cost of those didn’t actually make a big difference. The bulk of the cost was having the dress taken up (over £300, so more than half the overall cost) and this was completely necessary.

On the plus side, while the dress was already lovely, now it’s altered it is absolutely stunning!

• Lea
    Rockstar July 2023 Kent
    Lea ·
    • Hide content

I've been quoted £150 to take up the hem which is very long on me and there are many layers of fabric. Also includes adjusting the shoulder straps and extending back panel behind lace up straps. However, I reckon it might go over quoted price.

• Laurie
    Savvy May 2024 Lothian & Borders
    Laurie ·
    • Hide content

Oh my gosh. I was thinking it would be £350 at the more expensive end. Flip! Really appreciate the replies, I definitely need to consider this in dress choice and put more budget for this just in case.

• M
    Beginner July 2023 South West London
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think it depends on the design of the dress and where you take it to be done. I've got to get mine altered soon and I've been quoted £45 for the shoulder straps, £15 for the belt to be sewn in and £145 for the bottom to be taken up. If I go there and decide I don't want them to do the work I also have to pay £60 for the fitting (I don't pay that if I get it done there).
  • Katy
    Curious July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Katy ·
    • Hide content
    I had a corset back put in mine, which then meant the top of the back had to be redesigned & reshaped, also needed a lot taking of the length & a bustle putting in, that came to £220
  • K
    Dedicated June 2023 Essex
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content

Alteration cost is dependent on the type of dress and what you need doing. My dress is a-line style with a number of layers and a corset top. Mine is coming to £310 for the dress to be downsized, cups being put in, alterations to the bardot sleeves, adjusting the sequin underlayer and a wrist loop put on the train.

She did mention that if my dress needed shortening, that would have cost an extra £180 due to the number of layers on my dress.

Obviously costs vary between seamstresses. I spoke to 2 different seamstresses that were recommended by my dress shop and I went with the one I felt I got on better with.

• Karan
    Beginner May 2023 West Yorkshire
    Karan ·
    • Hide content
    I was charged £150 to adjust the shoulder strap and add a bustle point. My dress has a lot of lace and beading on the straps so has to be removed and then restitched down.

Whereas my mum's MOTB dress was £90 to take it in quite a considerable amount around the bust and shoulders.
    I think there's always a minimum fee for bridal. I was thinking to budget 300-400 for mine if I needed any length taking off but I don't. Like others have said it really depends on the detailing of the dress.
  • B2B2023
    Curious April 2023 East Central London
    B2B2023 ·
    • Hide content

One of the things that influenced my decision a little when choosing a dress was potential alterations costs. If the dress is lace or beading then this needs to be taken off and then reapplied on which is obviously more time consuming. That being said, I fell in love with a dress that had a plain 2 layer skirt. It fitted me perfectly other than the length. I was quoted £250 to alter the hem from the shop that I bought it from which seemed steep to me! I therefore contacted 3 different independent seamstresses and each quoted between £60-75 which was definitely more along the lines of what I thought it would cost to hem the front of a plain dress. My advice therefore is to shop around (at the very least to make sure you aren't significantly overpaying).

• Laura
    Dedicated July 2023 Cambridgeshire
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, the dress shop I bought from charges a flat rate for alterations so it can seem like a lot but it means you know the cost up front and are covered whatever you need doing. It's also worth mentioning that some places insist that you get alterations done there or with their approved seamstress, because if they botch it It's bad marketing when people ask where the dress is from! Like others have said, just don't underestimate what it could be. I'm paying £278 and my dress has to be shortened (the last type of alteration I was expecting as I am 5ft 11!)
  • N
    Beginner June 2023 Derbyshire
    Natasha ·
    • Hide content
    Just cut it yourself keep the £800 alteration price, I would 🙃😂😂
  • Claire
    Beginner October 2023 Hampshire
    Claire ·
    • Hide content
    I have just been quoted £500 to shorten shoulders, put in boning on each side to make side flat and not ruche, downsizing (which involves unstitching and moving beading embellishment) and halving the length of the train. My dress was £675 (reduced from £2300) so I think it feels a lot because the costs are nearly as much as the dress. However they were very knowledgable and I was happy with their set up unlike the first seamstress who quoted me £200 but I had some reservations so happy to pay the extra to hopefully get a perfectly fitting dress.
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    My dress was under £80 my alterations are coming in at a cost £250 only because I got sizing wrong needs a lot doing to it x♥️
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It depends on the type of dress, what needs doing and also your location. My dress was very simple and just needed a plain skirt taking up by a few inches. I was quoted £60-£70 by a Bristol seamstress and £30 by one in mid Wales!

• Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    I had my hemline shortened and a belt added, came to £150 in total
  • Lex
    Dedicated July 2023 West Yorkshire
    Lex ·
    • Hide content
    And a bustle added x
  • L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    I’m having my hem & train shortened (2 layers of fabric) with a wrist loop put in rather than a bustle, the straps shortened and then the hip to underside of bum let out by quarter of an inch on the bottom layer (the top one is naturally more flowy anyway). That’s coming to £230 up here in Stockport.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics