Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anonbride
Expert July 2023 Cornwall

Alternatives to veil?

Anonbride, 9 of March of 2022 at 15:55 Posted on Wedding Attire 1 22
I tried on a veil when I chose my dress, but (after always thinking I’d want one) I actually wasn’t keen. FH is quite happy for me not to wear one as he thinks veils are weird haha. I’m also getting married outside on the beach so it would probably be blowing everywhere and a bit of an impractical pain!

Howeverrrr, I’m not sure how I feel about not having ANYTHING so while it may ultimately be the way to go I am wondering about other options - flower crowns, headpieces etc. but my dress is quite detailed as is the hairstyle I’m planning on requesting! What do you think would work??
Neither photo is of me but the hair model has pretty similar hair to me only I have a fringe too, if that helps to know
Alternatives to veil? 1
Alternatives to veil? 2

22 replies

Latest activity by Jamie, 15 of March of 2022 at 14:57
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

Lovely dress Chloe. I think I would go for some flowers in the back of the hair where it is tied together or plaited.

I have not discussed anything with my other half, he is clueless! He might be surprised that I am having a tea length dress, so in keeping with that and our vintage theme (which he does know about lol) I am having a bird cage veil and possibly a half up half down hair style.

• Saphireangel
    Savvy June 2022 South East London
    Saphireangel ·
    • Hide content

I love your wedding dress! You could try some hair vines, something like these interwoven into your half up do would look lovely. I'm also thinking of a half up half down style, but with a tiara. Would love hair vines too, but my guests might think I'm OTT.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/813386291/bridal-hair-vine-wedding-hair-vine?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bridal+hair+vine&ref=sc_gallery-1-7&listing_id=813386291&listing_slug=bridal-hair-vine-wedding-hair-vine&plkey=12ef8802d254ae15d761ecee67aa9d58da19bb23%3A813386291

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/661558272/handmade-classic-faux-pearl-bridal-50cm?click_key=84ed87b6644b61282cd34e9a4211cc9f94de95a9%3A661558272&click_sum=bcf1253f&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=bridal+hair+vine&ref=sr_gallery-1-12&pro=1

• Hannah
    Dedicated September 2023 South West London
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content

Morning Chloe!

It's Hannah here from the Hitched Marketing team! I would definitely take a look at this article here about the different veil styles available as they aren't all the traditional type!

However, if you still aren't feeling the styles I would consider a nice jewelled hair piece or some flowers that match the colours of your wedding!

I hope this helps and please do reach out if you need anything

Hannah X

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I would go for either a hair vine or some flowers/hair comb at the back. I think a flower crown might be overload, bearing in mind you have so much detail in the dress.

I got a lovely hand-made comb decorated with bead flowers & leaves from Etsy - there are loads of different ones so it would be worth hunting round to see what you like.

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much - I got very lucky that the insta dream dress from before I'd even got engaged wound up being available and the one! Flowers is a lovely idea, I guess they wouldn't necessarily need to match the flowers on my dress and could tie in with my bouquet... Smiley sexy

OH doesn't know anything about the dress, but I did check with him how he'd feel about me not wearing a veil, just in case it happened to be super important to him or something!

Bird cage veil with your vintage theme sounds AMAZING!

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! These are really helpful ideas! You've also got me thinking if I could get away with a boho ish tiara so that's an option now too!! Smiley xd

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Hannah, thanks for sharing this! Do you have any articles about tiaras/headpieces or anything like that? Smiley smile

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you're right about a flower crown, I want the dress to really shine as I think it's such a showstopper. Will have a search on Etsy - thanks for the tip!

• Hannah
    Dedicated September 2023 South West London
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Chloe!

Absolutely we do!

Here is our Tiara Article: 30 Stunning Wedding Tiaras For a Fairy Tale Wedding

This article also has some fab hairpieces from 10 to 15: Our 15 Favourite Picks from Jon Richard's Latest Collection

Alternatively, please feel free to take some time to go through all the bridal jewellery suppliers we have on our site! You may find some pieces you like that are in your area or surrounding area!

I hope that helps!

Hannah X

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks so much! I'll have a good search through these!! My wedding's not till next year but it's a sort of destination down in Cornwall (5hr drive) so I'm planning on having my hair trial this summer, in which case I think I need to have decided on any hair accessories...

• Megan
    Savvy May 2023 Derbyshire
    Megan ·
    • Hide content
    Ahh I’m so torn on what to do! I feel like I want a veil just because it’s what you do 😂 but I want a statement pearl headband with my hair down, I don’t know if a veil would just be too much! But don’t want to not have a headband for a veil I would take off after some pictures anyway!

Love your dress and that hair will look beautiful - maybe some flowers in the back or you can get some nice hair pins like pearls or sparkles etc!
  • Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

I've just found this... what do we think? Does it work with the hairstyle/dress?
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/959160501/floral-gold-and-pearl-wedding-headband?click_key=ed3467a2b83d072d878e59ad1cd48fa97044c118%3A959160501&click_sum=5f53de57&ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=gold+boho+tiara&ref=sr_gallery-2-11&organic_search_click=1&frs=1&etp=1

FYI am planning on wearing gold sandals with my dress and the vision for my bouquet is mostly white larger flowers plus some daisies and then some pale blue wildflowers, if that makes a difference!

• Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes that's such a good point on the veil! I couldn't believe how pricey they typically are either for something you will only wear for the ceremony... so I feel like you really have to LOVE the look of it to go for one...

I think if you already have the headband you don't need the veil unless you really fall in love with it as a look, especially as it sounds like the headband is more important to you Smiley smile

• Jamie
    Dedicated October 2022 Argyll
    Jamie ·
    • Hide content

I recently saw on Pinterest a couple of bridal hair accessories that were essentially fancy hair clips and grips with stars and celestial designs on them, which were beautiful.

But it reminded me of some hair grips I bought years ago that had little tiny pearls inside seashells on them, which at the time I thought were gorgeous but had no real use for - but would look amazing in your hair for a beach wedding!

• MrsW
    Dedicated May 2022 South West London
    MrsW ·
    • Hide content
    Hi - if it makes you feel better, I'm going with nothing. I tried a whole bunch of veils, headpieces, hair clips, vines etc and on me and with my dress they looked, at worst, stupid, and at best, ok but they didn't really add anything other than I felt like I was wearing something that was bride-y (stupid as I'm the one on the big white frock and my guests already know I'm the bride...). I've gone with a massive pair of earrings though, because they actually did look awesome with the dress.
  • Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is so good to hear - thank you! I think I’ve been feeling like I have to have ~something~ but actually maybe I don’t need to!

I think maybe I’m rushing it as well because I need to have the hair trial so early but it probably wouldn’t be the end of the world to add something if I decided I wanted it..
  • Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    I just won this giveaway on insta! What do we think to this headband with my dress?? Alternatives to veil? 3

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes that's very pretty! I like it!

• Megan
    Savvy May 2023 Derbyshire
    Megan ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ahh congrats!! Yes it looks lovely and will definitely go with your dress.
  • Anonbride
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Eeee thanks guys! I'll stop searching around for alternatives then - guess it was fate!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

That's perfect!

• Jamie
    Dedicated October 2022 Argyll
    Jamie ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, yeah that's a great option, really gorgeous Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles