Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2024 West Yorkshire

Am i being selfish? Venue drama!

Sophie, 14 of August of 2022 at 04:17

Posted on Etiquette and Advice 51

Hi, Im sorry in advance if this isn't in the right place, I just was hoping for some completely independent advice! My partner and I have found our dream wedding venue, but my parents are concerned about the location. The venue is 30 minutes away from his parents, 1 hour away from our home and 1...
Hi,

Im sorry in advance if this isn't in the right place, I just was hoping for some completely independent advice! My partner and I have found our dream wedding venue, but my parents are concerned about the location. The venue is 30 minutes away from his parents, 1 hour away from our home and 1 hour 30 minutes away from mine. My parents think that this is too far to expect my large family to travel to, and would prefer my partners smaller family to travel a similar distance. I have looked at all other venues in a more convenient location but none are as financially viable or as good as the venue we fell in love with. Am I being selfish asking my family to travel slightly further for the venue we love?
Thank you!!

51 replies

• Kerrie
    Beginner September 2022 West Sussex
    Kerrie ·
    • Hide content
    Not selfish at all! It's about you and your partner. Tell them it could be worse - at least you're not expecting them to travel abroard 😂
  • Sophie
    Beginner September 2023 Hampshire
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well put! Completely agree. If you were having a ceremony and reception at two different places, you should organise getting them between the two, but certainly not to the ceremony venue and back! Smiley heart

• Adele
    Savvy March 2024 Durham
    Adele ·
    • Hide content
    I don't think you're being selfish at all!
  • Iona
    Beginner September 2022 South East London
    Iona ·
    • Hide content

Its not selfish at all. in all weddings there are going to be family from both sides trying to tell you what they want. but its your wedding. the location should be your choice and your families should be willing to travel the distance. One of my friends is traveling from italy for my wedding. And my fiance has his aunty and best man(cousin) traveling over from america.

• Lucy
    Beginner November 2022 Lothian & Borders
    Lucy ·
    • Hide content
    Book the venue you want. Once families start having to much of an opinion it might totally detail YOUR wedding.

I have a big family too, my partners family is very small compared to mine so we also had this dilemma but ultimately you have to do what works best for you and your needs. My family are willing to travel despite it being a bit of a hassle. I have friends coming from the opposite end of the country and friends from other countries coming. So I mean once you put that into perspective they have almost no traveling to actually do 😅
    It's not selfish at all and even if it is, surely your wedding is one time you are aloud to be a little bit selfish?
  • A
    Beginner June 2023 Central & Glasgow
    Annie ·
    • Hide content
    Please go with what your heart wants!
    Also having very similar drama with my side of the family but I’m just thinking I want this day to be for me and my partner and we’re going to be selfish for one day of next year!
    It might also be that some people would really like to travel that distance and make a wee holiday out of it! Good luck! x
  • L
    Beginner August 2026 Cheshire
    Lyndsey ·
    • Hide content
    No your not, me and my partner settled on a location nearer to mt family so we are putting them up in a hotel for 2 nights so it's less travelling, it's your day you do what you want. I've you've fallen in love with it then nowhere else will probably do and you won't be as content at any others, we changed outs because when we went to view the one we wanted it just didn't give us the wow factor we thought which was half way between both families
  • Wendy
    Curious June 2023 Lancashire
    Wendy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    All my family are coming over 60 miles to our wedding they are staying at the hotel where our reception is held no problem they just want to celebrate with us !
  • M
    Beginner July 2023 Bristol
    MARTA ·
    • Hide content
    I think it's your wedding and you should feel comfortable there , if you found your perfect venue than give people lots of time to adjust the information.My family and friends will travel from Poland ,so it's more than 1,5h and they don't say a word ,it's our decision where we want to do it . Don't put more pressure on yourself go for your perfect venue X
  • Alisha
    Beginner February 2025 West Yorkshire
    Alisha ·
    • Hide content
    Not selfish! If they want to be there then distance wouldn’t matter!
    There will be places to stay near the venue if they want to stay the night before/night of.
    For my “Auntie”’s Wedding, I travelled 2 hours the day of to get there and then 2 hour home in the evening ( I had work the next day - I was a teacher and couldn’t get the time off). My fiancé, had uni the next day near London so travelled 5 hours after the wedding to get there for his 9 am lecture. We wouldn’t have missed it for the world! The travelling didn’t bother us because we were celebrating their love and commitment to each other. People will make the effort. Sorry you are going through this!
  • J
    Beginner July 2023 Lancashire
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    Not selfish at all it's your day you book where you want! If they really want to be at the wedding they'll make an effort
  • L
    Beginner April 2024 North Yorkshire
    Leanne ·
    • Hide content
    Absolutely not! Our venue is an hour away from our home, over an hour from my parents and less for his parents. You’re not asking people to travel abroad or to the other end of the country. The people who want to be there will make the effort, it’s your day and you shouldn’t have to sacrifice what you want for other people.
  • G
    Beginner September 2022 Merseyside
    Gill ·
    • Hide content
    No! If they want to be there on your special day they will travel
    Enjoy YOUR DAY!
  • J
    Beginner July 2023 Herefordshire
    Jessica ·
    • Hide content
    Not selfish at all, it’s not like it’s a destination wedding with a large financial impact!! Go with your choice and family should support you.
  • L
    Beginner July 2023 Warwickshire
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    It's is your day. You won't please everyone, it's important to have the day you both want rather than what suits other people. If they are concerned they could find a hotel nearby.
  • A
    Beginner August 2025 West Yorkshire
    Alice ·
    • Hide content
    Absolutely not! I think if people want to be at your wedding then they will travel to be there and celebrate with you both x
  • R
    Beginner August 2023 Herefordshire
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    Absolutely not! Our venue is 2 hours away but it's the venue we love! If they are wanting to be a part of your special day then they will travel, be selfish hun and don't compromise on your big day!💜
  • N
    Beginner May 2024 Worcestershire
    Nikki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No your not being selfish, it’s your big day and the amount of money you will spend means it should be what you and your partner want and a place that feels special for you. All you can do is explain this to your family as you have I. Your message. The people you want at your wedding will find a way around the distance but you will not find the same magical feeling somewhere else.
  • R
    Beginner September 2024 Herefordshire
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content

It's your day and you should have it where you want. We're getting married in 2024 and the venue is about 40 mins away from where me and my partner live. Our parents had the same concerns, we moved away from most of our family a couple of years ago which mean most live about 2 hours away from us. We were constantly told we should look for a venue near where all the family live but that wasn't what we wanted. We've made an effort to make sure accommodation is available to all immediate family and everyone else will have to sort it themselves because if they want to be there they will be.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics