Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner November 2024 Greater Manchester

Am i overreacting to these rules?

Jazz, 16 of November of 2022 at 15:40 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 48
My partners brother and his girlfriend are getting married in 2024. We are all really excited for them.

Since my partners brother proposed in 2020 they have told my partner and I that we cannot ‘do anything’ until they are married. We are not allowed to get engaged. We are not allowed to get married and we are not allowed to start a family because it will take the spot light of them.
Our family and our friends are asking us when we are getting married we tell they we have to wait until my partners brother and his partner are married. They say we are crazy for following these rules especially as we have already lost so much time due to Rona.
I’m starting to panic too as I’m not getting younger with passing years I will be 38 when they get married and I’m starting to think and feel like I’m a ticking time bomb.
I am finding this really difficult to deal with. I have been with my partner for 5 years and we are ready to get married and start a family.
Any help on how to deal with this situation would be so greatly appreciated.

48 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 7 of November of 2023 at 12:06
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I am shocked reading the his, are you for real? How dare they put stipulations on your life! Ridiculous, you do what you want and stuff their rules, is your life and they need to grow up.

I would personally book my wedding just before theirs to prove a point. Please stop, you do you xx
  • J
    Jazz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Charlotte. It’s nice to hear from someone who is not tied to the situation. Xx
  • A
    Dedicated October 2023 Surrey
    AmesLou ·
    • Hide content

I can't believe they have asked this of you! If they had a short gap between getting engaged and getting married, then I could maybe see why they wouldn't want you to suddenly announce that you're about to have a wedding just before them. They certainly can't control your lives for 4 whole years though, and they shouldn't have ANY control over when you choose to have children!

If you can hold off getting engaged, your partner could always propose at their wedding...

• J
    Jazz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My partner won’t do that. I think he is intimidated by his brother and his partner as they are very big personalities. I’m wanting to get married as soon as we can as my grandad is very old and frail. I grew up without a dad and he has been there through everything. I feel completely heartbroken as he probably won’t see me get married. I don’t know if I’m thinking too much into all this xx
  • Abi
    Dedicated May 2024 Conwy
    Abi ·
    • Hide content
    Sorry to be blunt but, why on earth are you listening to them?! Ignore them and do whatever you want!!!!🥰
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Your partner's brother and girlfriend are delusional.

When you get married, you get a day. One day. You do not get to control the lives of those around you for a whole four years.

Get engaged. Start planning that wedding. And if you want a family, the sooner you start thinking about it the better. You don't want to be sitting there in 20 years time thinking "too bad we left it too late to have a family - but never mind, at least we kept brother-in-law happy".

And anyway, what's to say that once this crazy pair have got married, they won't be telling you that you can't get engaged/married/start a family yet because they are planning to start a family/change careers/move house/paint their bathroom and they don't want you 'taking the spotlight' off them.

• A
    Dedicated October 2023 Surrey
    AmesLou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I completely understand how important it is for your grandad to be there if possible. My grandad died at the end of last year, and it put a lot of things in perspective for me! I have one set of grandparents left, but I have also always dreamed of a big wedding, so I've tried to plan a big wedding as quickly as was reasonably possible, solely due to how much I want them there.
    Do you know if you want a big wedding or a small wedding? If it's a small wedding, I would go ahead and plan it for as soon as you can! You can have your grandad and a few other people you care about there to celebrate! It is a bit tricker if you want a larger one, but I still wouldn't put it on hold just because of your partner's brother.!
    No rational person is going to think you've done anything wrong by planning a wedding (or having children) right now! xxx
  • Jennifer
    Beginner November 2022 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire
    Jennifer ·
    • Hide content
    Okay, so you guys have to hit pause for 4 years?! Are they also asking that of close friends?! Are these two okay in the head?!
    I have never heard anything more ridiculous.Get married in '23 & pregnant in 24, just out of spite... is what I'd do, but maybe don't be like me. Those people will be family after all, and making happy life choices like that should not start with spite 😅
    The cheek of some people, though... Talk it over with your partner and do what makes you two happy... and then elope this Christmas 😉
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

This is wild! I've never heard anything so ridiculous, I certainly would not be listening to what they have to say either. Like it has been said above, they have one day to get married, that is all. They can't expect you to put your lives on hold for 4 years!

• A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    I would get them not wanting you to get engaged in the run up to their wedding if their engagement was 12-18 months and yours was a new relationship (note I’m not suggesting this is necessarily reasonable just that I understand the perspective) however they have waited four YEARS to get married. That’s enough time for a single person to meet someone, get engaged and get married without it being rushed. I’m interested to know when in 2024 as well.

Basically just ignore them and do what you want no one can dictate how you live your life!
  • J
    Jazz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Alison.

Yes I totally understand your point and if our relationship was new and there engagement period was 12-18 months if understand. They are getting married in May (4th).

• A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is sooo far away!

Please honestly just do what you want to do, if you wait until after their wedding to get engaged you won’t be married until at least 2025
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Stuff what they say get engaged when you want get married when you want have kids when you want it's your life so what if they don't like it I would go ahead with what you both want and to do wedding before them if you can or make yours even better once they get married but I wouldn't wait for them X♥️
  • C
    Savvy October 2024 Kent
    Crystal ·
    • Hide content
    I’d tell them where to go if I’m honest.
  • Estina
    Savvy October 2024 Gloucestershire
    Estina ·
    • Hide content
    No!!!! You don't have to wait. That is ridiculous. I've just turned 39 and starting a family for us has been such a hard journey filled with tears, arguments and a diagnosis of unexplained infertility.
    Forget what they say. If you guys wanna get engaged do it, if you married get married. What a joke. How dare they.....what selfish people.
    I would say yes don't do it on their day that's not cool, but no it's your life. Who gives anyone the right to tell people what to do. We ALL lost 3 years due to covid. Sod that live your life!!!! Sorry I gather you can see I'm passionate about this
  • Expensivebrowndiamonds46590
    Beginner April 2024 Cheshire
    Expensivebrowndiamonds46590 ·
    • Hide content
    You do you!!
  • T
    Savvy May 2024 Buckinghamshire
    T S ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god are they SERIOUS? This is the most ludicrous thing I've ever read. You get married and have kids when it's right for you. I understand wanting to keep everyone happy but you can't put off having a family to spare someone else's feelings.

Book a 2023 wedding and tell them to deal with it. Eventually they'll get over it.

• Penny
    Beginner April 2024 Kent
    Penny ·
    • Hide content

This is awful - if you are also wanting a family, as you mentioned, I would 100000% plan your wedding know, if they have chosen a longer engagement that is there choice. I wouldn't go for the same season in the same year, but that is the length of patience and respect I would show on this in all honesty. Get married how you want, where you want, when you want ASAP. I am not one for my way of the high way when it comes to weddings, as I think family is important, but this is beyond the line. Don't put your life on hold, or your future hopes of a family at risk for the sake of a soon to be in law family.

• S
    Beginner September 2023 Derbyshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Book it for 2023 and tell her to get stuffed.

• Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    I would not be following those “rules” and I think it’s ridiculous that your brother and his partner have set them! How selfish! Their wedding is still 2 years away and they cannot expect you to put your life on hold for their wedding day. I would listen to family and friends and NOT take any notice
  • E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    What kind of nonsense is this? This can't be real? They really expect this? Okay, I'm gonna pretend this is real and day this, if you wish to start a family and the woman is over 35 I wouldn't wait (I'm talking from experience of struggling to concieve), not everyone struggles but you don't want to be in a situation where you've followed some obsurd rules and missed out on the chance of having biologically related children. I'd also just book my wedding because they must be on crack to think everyone will pause every aspect of their lives for their diva behaviour!
  • Penelope
    Beginner July 2023 South West London
    Penelope ·
    • Hide content

That seems absolutely ridiculous to me. My best friend (and maid of honour) had a situation when she got engaged where her two brothers and her fiancé's brother all proposed around the same time. They all coordinated so that everyone could have "their moment," but the agreed waiting time between engagements was 2 WEEKS. Asking someone to put their life plans on hold for YEARS is incredibly selfish and not at all realistic. It's simply unhealthy to believe you can place those kind of restrictions on people.

I'm the oldest in my family and first to get married, and I have 3 younger siblings. I cannot fathom putting that kind of rule on my siblings, and my engagement is only going to be 9 months total. I would go ahead with your wedding/life planning. I hope all goes well.

• Jon
    Beginner November 2022 South East London
    Jon ·
    • Hide content
    Tell them to go forth and multiply you are your own person if you want to get married and have kids and bloody well, do it tell that idiot brother if you was to go forth
  • Tgladman
    Beginner April 2023 Hampshire
    Tgladman ·
    • Hide content

Selfish and unrealistic expectations from your bro and sis in law to be! You cannot listen to this and have to do what is right for you as a couple or risk living to regret it.

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 Warwickshire
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    I can’t understand the logic. I maybe, understand not getting married in the same year.. but to say you can’t get engaged or start a family; especially because it will “take the spotlight off them” is major red flag. They should be equally excited for you both and wish for the best.

Live how you both want to, not by rules set by other people. If you do and something comes to light from it I’m sure everybody will see also how selfish, rude and quite frankly; bizzare those requests are. What has the parents said about it all??
  • Sophie
    Beginner December 2025 Nottinghamshire
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    It shocked me reading this! They should be happy for you no matter what dates or timelines you and your partner have. 100% you do you, it’s your lives don’t let anybody else dictate your happiness 🤍
  • K
    Beginner May 2023 South West London
    Kirstie ·
    • Hide content
    What? That’s crazy! No one should have a say in what you do with your life even if they are family!! How attention seeking of them that they don’t want the spotlight take away from them!
  • Tammy
    Beginner March 2023 Staffordshire
    Tammy ·
    • Hide content
    I'm sorry but I don't think they are being fair at all.
    You can still get engaged, married, have children etc.
    If I was you I would decide what you want and sit them down and tell them and say you can't pause your life for them. They will still have there big day but you need to live your life. It isn't right for them to tell you what to do.(All this is very polite compared to what I would like to say 😂)Good luck xx
  • Tammy
    Tammy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I can totally relate to this. Growing up my grandparents were more like parents to me. My own stability and rocks.
    Sadly I lost my gran 2 years ago and my grandads health is getting worse (vascular dementia). I have always wanted him to be the one to walk me down the aisle. I am now getting married in March, a statutory ceremony at registery office with 2 witnesses. That is all we can afford at the moment. Having my grandad there is more important than a big ceremony.
    Sorry going off subject here. I understand how you feel.Its up to you to decide what you want don't let anybody else intimidate you.Personally i think they are being very unfair and tbh I would not want very much to do with people like that.You need to do what's best for you xx
  • Tammy
    Tammy ·
    • Hide content
    I am also curious to know what your partner thinks about this, as its his brother x
  • J
    Jazz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Tammy. You totally get this!! My grandad brought me up and he was the only one there for large chunks of my life. My partner isn’t happy about this situation at all. I think like me he’s scared of the fall out that will happen. They are very big personalities and we don’t want to make a rift with the family. My partners mum has tried to talk to them both and has tried to explain how unreasonable they are being. She was shut down immediately and they didn’t talk to her for 2-3 weeks after the discussion (the only reason they talked was because they wanted something of my partners mum). I’d also like to say thank you to everyone on here for your support.
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

"My partners mum has tried to talk to them both and has tried to explain how unreasonable they are being. She was shut down immediately and they didn’t talk to her for 2-3 weeks after the discussion (the only reason they talked was because they wanted something of my partners mum)."

Ok, so I understand why your partner doesn't want to fall out with his family. But think about it this way.

Is it really going to have that much of a negative impact on your lives if this pair do react badly to you getting engaged and/or married before their wedding? And is it really worth putting your life on hold, potentially losing your ability to start a family and risking not having elderly loved ones around for your wedding just so that they don't fall out with you? It sounds like they only talk to people for selfish reasons anyway.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics