Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

LuxuriousPurpleConfetti79644
Beginner September 2020

Am i wrong to be a bit upset?

LuxuriousPurpleConfetti79644, 23 of May of 2021 at 12:01 Posted on Planning 1 8

My brother-in-law is getting married in a few months, and my husband is his best man.

We went out for dinner with them a few days ago, and it was casually mentioned that at the wedding breakfast, hubby would be on the top table but I wouldn't. I'd be sitting with people I don't know.

I don't think I'd mind if I was a newish girlfriend, or if husband wasn't the groom's brother and therefore I wasn't a family member. But we are literally married, auntie and uncle to their child, and I think the main issue for me is that I didn't anticipate spending the entire day part of an immediate family wedding on my own.

We have a good relationship and we are friends. I don't really know anyone at this wedding other than husband, bride & groom and obviously my in-laws.

We had a covid wedding so our reception hasn't been held yet, but it would never even have crossed my mind to split up any couples, much less my brother-in-law and fiancee.

I'm not a social butterfly at all, and I now feel nothing but a sense of dread for the whole day, rather than any excitement. I haven't said anything about it, but am I being unreasonable? Or is it okay to feel a little bit upset by this?

8 replies

Latest activity by Marcie, 21 of June of 2021 at 21:35
  • S
    Dedicated August 2023 South Yorkshire
    Sloufish ·
    • Hide content

I was a bridesmaid for my sister and my partner had to sit on a different table. We have been together 9yrs so not a new thing but my sister only wanted best man and bridesmaid on the top table. She did place him with people he knew (although not very well) and he was OK but still would have preferred to have been sat with me . Its tough but each Bride to their own I think. I certainly didn't argue it with my sister, it was her day, not mine and I didn't feel it was my place to question it.

Hope you get placed with some people you know! x

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It's quite common to put only the wedding party on the top table and seat their partners elsewhere. I've been to some weddings where partners have also sat on the top table but they have usually had space for a large table and a small wedding party.

If both sets of parents are alive, you already have 6 people just with the couple and their parents. So by the time you've added in a few bridesmaids & groomsmen you're really running out of space to fit in partners as well.

I'm not very confident in social situations, but I've been to loads of weddings on my own and manage just fine. Hopefully the couple will make an effort to sit you with people you already know, but if not, you'll still be ok. At least at a wedding, there is always an easy topic of conversation - weddings!

• LuxuriousPurpleConfetti79644
    Beginner September 2020
    LuxuriousPurpleConfetti79644 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all. We have never really been to any traditional weddings, so this is completely alien to me. Having looked into it seems like it's the norm, although I find it unbelievable. Celebrating marriage by splitting up your closest relatives from their own spouse just seems mental to me Smiley xd Especially when the other groomsmen and bridesmaids aren't on the top table, so ironically they get to sit with their friends and OHs..

I don't think my husband is particularly happy about being sat apart either, but as you say, it's not up to us.

I suppose we shall just have to get on with it, but it does feel like a real shame.

• Kayleigh
    Rockstar October 2023 Bristol
    Kayleigh ·
    • Hide content
    I think it's OK to feel however you feel, however it doesn't sound like a slight on you, just how they're seating it. I do understand the anxiety over being sat alone however. Someone suggested getting to know some of the hens. Did you bring this up to your hubby or BIL? Maybe just say casually about being nervous sat with people you don't know... They may not even be aware of your worry xx
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

It won't be for that long - normally by the dessert stage people are wandering round and catching up with friends, so it really will only be for an hour or two at most.

• A
    Beginner October 2021 Berkshire
    Annabel ·
    • Hide content
    Owww that sucks. Yes I think it’s normal so I think you’re going to have to like it and lump it. I agree with you though we’re not doing a traditional dinner set up & making sure people are all with their partners and group. We are sitting bridesmaids and groomsmen altogether for the ceremony though - but it’s only 30 mins so hopefully the partners will be ok!
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I dont thibk you are i hope you enjoy the day no matter what just remember when you have your reception put yourself first and not them sit them at the back good luck x👍
  • Marcie
    Rockstar August 2021 Bristol
    Marcie ·
    • Hide content
    This is common so please don’t take it personally

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics