Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharding2014
Beginner October 2014

An un-themed wedding

kharding2014, 18 of August of 2013 at 11:04 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi,

Everyone keeps asking me what my theme is for my wedding and when I tell them that I don't have one I get a mixture of horror and shock. My bridesmaids are also shocked to hear that although they will be wearing navy wedding dresses there won't be lots of navy throughout the wedding.

I did try to start with a theme. We wanted to get married in summer with a village fete/ festival feel but summer weddings are more expensive and we were nervous on taking a gamble with the British summer. I then wanted a great Gatsby feel but the 1920s style dresses did nothing for my figure and my bm's didn't want to feel like they are in fancy dress.

I have now gone for a neutral palette. Anything is allowed as long as the colour isn't too strong.I have navy bridesmaids dresses, H2B has a grey suit with a navy tie and then décor is in ivory, pale blush and a very pale green. I wouldn't really say that its a vintage or a modern wedding as I have just picked what I like.

I'm now really nervous about everything not coming together nicely and the day not having a theme will make it less memorable.

Is anyone else having a theme-less wedding and could give some advice on how to make everything come together in a way that will still give the wow of a themed wedding?

Thanks

Kayleigh

(A bride who is having second thoughts)

27 replies

Latest activity by cass_b, 22 of August of 2013 at 13:02
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I didn't have any definitive theme. I didn't want one. I was similar to you and just wanted neutral and natural colours. Below are a few bits from my wedding. I had a lot of wood and creams with a few touches of grey.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

You can hum the theme tune or sing the theme tune,

Doesn't mean to say you have to have an obvious one. A bit of bunting = vintage. Black ties = Gatsby.

There is no rule and some people cringe at the word 'theme'

?

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty much themeless too! FMIL was horrified when I told her this, so I said purple to shut her up as my bridesmaid will have a purple dress and the chair sashes will be purple. I hardly think that qualifies as a theme though. I don't think anything else will be purple. Maybe my flowers? My stationary doesn't fit 'the theme' it's more vintage floral with a bit of lace, decoration will be minimalist, maybe a few lace decorated jars with tea lights and stuff. Maybe I should have gone with a vintage theme but our dresses definitely don't fit that. So it's a bit of a mixed lot. I'm not bothered, although I'm sure FMIL will be horrified ?.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

We never intended to have a theme. OH wanted navy in the colours and is a naval architect so we have some nautical touches, but not too much. I always wanted a bouquet of yellow roses so I wanted yellow in the colours and the. Our wedding got moved to Easter Sunday so there will be Easter eggs as favours and I'm scattering Easter chicks on the tables but I wouldn't say it's an Easter theme either.

I'm not sure I've been to many weddings where I could tell you what the definitive theme was, jus a few nice touches here and there. I don't think you need to be overt to make it a themed wedding, especially if nothing jumps out as a theme you want!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

My answer to the theme question is that we're having an 'everything goes theme'. We've picked lots of colours for different things - purples, blues some green and ivory for my brooch bouquet, silver for chair sashes (probably) and my favourite bridesmaid dress at the moment are a dusky mauve/pinky colour but we'll try to weave it in somehow or lose one of the other colours. I'm hoping we can make it all work, I was so determined not to make things too matchy that I think it might look a bit thrown together. On the other hand, if we get it right, I think it would look really nice to have lots of colours that work well and I think it's worth taking the risk.

It sounds really nice to me though, the navy will complement the green and blush really well.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

That sounds lovely to be honest. More and more weddings are coming up with no theme at all. Just what the bride and groom like.

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is the type of thing I'm trying to go for. All of your details are beautiful.

Please can I ask about where you got your order of services from?

x

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your comments. I feel a lot happier to know that I'm not the only one with a set theme. I think I'm just going to stick to the things that we like and keep my ideas on a mood board. Hopefully I will notice on the mood board if something doesn't look right and I will ignore comments from BMs and family about HAVING to have a theme ?

x

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

You might like this site too, they sell a lot of neutral stuff https://www.theweddingofmydreams.co.uk/

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I'm not really having a theme either other than that BMs will be in teal an the best man and usher will have teal cravats. I don't think you have to have one at all!

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Your wedding isn't about being a spectacle or extravaganza for your guests, it's about two people getting married, I wouldn't worry about whether your wedding is themed at all, I think going for exactly what you like is the perfect way to plan a wedding.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Smiley smile

I just printed them myself on this paper (Hairy Manilla): https://secure.eco-craft.co.uk/acatalog/Thin-Card-A4-Size.html

(gold bits are hand embossed)

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

We went for the really unusual theme of "weddding".

We had a few bits of teal (BM dresses, ties for the boys, small details on the menu cards and table plans) but I wouldn't have said it was a teal wedding. Everything else was what I would describe as elegantly classic, lots of glass, candles, white flowers and pine (the smell was amazing!).

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I didn't want a "theme", I the whole thing to be a reflection of our usual, every day tastes and that's what I went with. Unfortunately, when your every day taste is full of pink and blue floral, lace, bunting and shabby chic stuff... well you end up with an all singing all dancing "on trend" vintage theme. It worried me initially that people would thing I'd just copied every wedding featured in every wedding magazine this year but those who know us, know our home, know our style should hopefully see it as being "us" rather than a theme.

• Mrs_EFC_2b
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs_EFC_2b ·
    • Hide content

I am sick to the back teeth of being asked this question!! I've got a friend planning a game of thrones wedding at the moment and another considering a murder mystery wedding!!!

My standard reply is my theme is a wedding and marrying the love of my life!!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We don't have a particular theme either and I was worried about it.
    Red is our colour and will try to stick to that for most things, but not a theme as such just always been my favourite colour lol.
    I loved loads of different styles and wondered how to choose one thing and worried everyone would think it all looks odd as it's different, don't think it matters though unless colours completely clash and look horrible etc..i'm just choosing things I like and hopefully it'll all work on the day Smiley smile

• Lommel
    Beginner August 2014
    Lommel ·
    • Hide content

We only have a theme by accident and tbh I'd rather we didn't have one! Our venue is a walled garden, and the things I like are just a bit garden-y. As for colours, we're having yellow, purple, blue, pink, green and orange! I've spent too much time with other brides searching for the right shade of pink, or pearls that have a pinky hue rather than an orange one. No way was I doing that for our wedding. It's just going to be a big, fun, colourful wedding with garden games and a DJ in a shed, ha!

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

I think a theme is different from a colour scheme. We picked a colour scheme, not a theme but I think when it all comes together it will look like the theme is hand made because everything is. It was just cheaper that way.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

Ours is a huge mish mash, there is a vintage feel with lace overlay for the chair covers, bird cage, tea light holders and frames.

The centre pieces are fairly modern I suppose being fish bowls with flowers in.

The tables are being named after race tracks and the favours are cat shaped.

Colour scheme is mainly burgundy with ivory and a small bit of black thrown in for good measure, not really a summer colour but I like it.

For ours to be a theme it would really have to be all vintage, all about race cars or all about cats.

• TheMrsMeFo
    Beginner April 2015
    TheMrsMeFo ·
    • Hide content

Hiya,

We aren't really going to go for a 'theme' either. To begin with I decided I wanted a vintage feel to it as I felt that April was a vintage kinda month (not entirely sure where I got that from), then I realised it was really popular and the in thing for weddings so I decided to not go full on vintage. Then OH said his dad wanted him to wear the family tartan which is a hideous yellow, red & green thing so I compromised saying I'd be happy for him to wear the modern version of the tartan which was purple, navy and green. I started to then go down the path of having a peacock theme with touches of gold. However once OH seen the modern tartan he wasn't that keen on it and he decided that because his dad wasn't getting onboard with it either then he would chose a different tartan altogether. He has gone for a silvery grey tartan with black and pink running through it and I'm over the moon as they are my 2 favourite colours but I was too busy trying to please him and not use the 'ITS MY DAY' comment!!

Then the other day my friend and also a BM sent me a picture on facebook saying how the picture made her instantly think of me - it was all bright colours and butterflies, and that in a nutshell is what I'm all about - I LOVE all things colourful, am not one for browns, creams etc I always want colour. So we have decided that we will go with all things colourful and sparkly (for me) and throw in something related to football (for him) that way it will be a truely 'us' day, which is what I think weddings should be about.

x

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Having a 'theme' is quite a recent thing. I'm sure if we asked someone who got married 20 years ago what their wedding's theme was they'd not have had one.

• Blue&bling
    Beginner July 2014
    Blue&bling ·
    • Hide content

No theme for me either! but my colour scheme is navy blue bridesmaids and groomsmen ties, but the rest of colours in bouquet will be bright pinks, orange, yellow and any other colours mixed in. i love bright and sparkly things, and tend to automatically pick these.... or is that my theme? lol

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry, but that sounds AWESOME.

I think the current obsession with 'themes' is that everyone wants their wedding to be memorable and original. The fact that EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) has been done before and nothing is really truly original any more is neither here nor there.

We are having quite a specific theme for two reasons, 1) OH and I live in a seaside town, we met on the pier and his family has strong links to the Navy, so we wanted the seaside / all things nautical to feature strongly as it seemed relevant to us. 2) Having a theme made me focus and concentrate my ideas. I am hideous at making decisions, so if I saw things I liked, but didn't fit with the theme, it allowed me to write them off. Saved me a fortune on cr&p I'd never use!

There's NO pressure to have a 'theme' though. I think that's totally different from a colour scheme, which a lot more people have....but you don't even need to have one of those. You don't HAVE to have anything! Whoever said that if you asked someone who got married 20 years ago what their 'theme' was they'd look at you like you were bonkers is right. The 'theme' for their wedding would have been- WEDDING!

Do whatever you want, or don't want, to do. ?

People won't stop asking though. They're just trying to show an interest. Give them a break. ?

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

I never knew that "themes" existed for weddings 'til I came on here, so no, I don't have a "theme" either ?

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

I started dress shopping this week and have found the constant 'theme' question really funny. I started to just give random answers to get a reaction and my sister joined in. My mum then drew the line when we told one lady the theme was 'vegetables' and she gave my mum a pitying look.

• cass_b
    Beginner April 2014
    cass_b ·
    • Hide content

No theme here either, our colour scheme is ivory with dusky purple, we are the same as you, we've picked what we like?! The only crazy thing we have that people will remember is this sodding Dalek vodka luge, the boy wanted it and when everyone started to get wind of this luge they were all game....no doubt it will be a bit of a talking point, love it or hate it...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics