Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

l0vaduck
Beginner April 2008

Anyone else putting off having a smear test?

l0vaduck, 5 of November of 2011 at 14:22 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 71

I'm due for a smear test (overdue to be honest) but I absolutely hate them. I cannot bear the thought of it - I would rather take the risk.

Does anyone feel the same, and do you have a successful way of getting through them? I know it's the sensible thing to do but can't bring myself to go.

Scaring me into it with horror stories of cervical cancer won't work either, because there's a better than even chance that I'll never get it.

71 replies

Latest activity by Bhagyashree, 8 of April of 2023 at 13:12
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Its horrid but better than cancer is the way I see it.

My CBM is terrifed of them- her GP pescribed her diazepam beforehand? May help relax you a bit.

HTH

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

My nurse said that if I hate them, imagine what it's like at the nurse's Christmas party - they've all done smear tests on each other at some point!

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

Eeuuuwww! ?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not at the party, just reread what I wrote!

*Goes back to edit*

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

No real advice other than to say it only takes 2 minutes. Ask the nurse if you can listen to your ipod whilst she does it - one song and it's done. Over with for another few years.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

But I always worry it may be....

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It really really won't be. I've seen quite a few, and seriously, I've only seen one which made me go ? - the poor woman was from East Africa and had had Female Genital Mutilation. Even then, I felt overwhelmingly sympathetic rather than grossed out. You haven't got anything that they haven't seen before.

Anyway, lovaduck - it's your decision, and your health to take risks with. The chances of you developing invasive cervical cancer are low, but are much higher if you don't get screened. If avoiding a few minutes of embarassment and discomfort is worth that risk, then don't go.

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

I don't have a daughter - or any children for that matter, and never will. Maybe it would be different if I did, as I would have got used to being prodded and fiddled with! It's not the thought of someone else seeing me that worries me: it's that awful feeling of total exposure and vulnerability. I just don't do nakedness, never have. If I thought it would be forgotten after 5 minutes that would't be so bad but the feeling lingers - I still shudder at the thought of the last one.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Helenia! I guessed by now someone would have said something but its one of those irrational fears! ?

FGM is awful- poor lady- makes me so angry that it can still happen in this day and age.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

and this is an even more ridiculous attitude...i thought the same...i still have to have 6mthly smears just incase i have the abnormal cells return

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Don't go cruising on a "better than even chance", no-one thinks they're going to get it and no one plans on getting it. Just grit your teeth and get yourself to the nurse, it won't do you any harm but it could save your life.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

Oh and I should add that my friend's Mum died from cervical cancer, she had been celibate for decades when she passed away. She had a "better than even chance" of never getting it too.

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

I think youre being very silly. About 8 years ago i had a CIN III. Cancer in situ. If it hadnt been for my regular smear test it wouldnt have been detected and i probably would have died, leaving my 3 wee girls without a mother. I had to have check ups every 6 months and its only now im in the clear and can go back to 3 yearly smears. The stress of it was beyond words, i was so scared. Yes a smear isnt the best thing but its a damn sight better that to be told you have cancer.

One day it might be you being told that same awful news.

ETA: i was only 30 years old at the time so still a young woman

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

I am quite shocked actually at this thread and urge you to put any worries to one side. having known a 25 year old friend die from cervical cancer - largely due to the fact she delayed getting screened and left it too late, i really think you need to grow up and make an appointment.

surely your health is more important than any embarrassment. these nurses are trained and have seen hundreds of "Women's bits" in the past. its a quick procedure and got to be a hell of a lot easier than heaven forbid you do (by some slim chance) have cancer one day and have to go through all that treatment.

sorry if i sound harsh but its a really immature and irresponsible attitude IMO.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Really just echoing what the others have said...it's over in minutes, is more uncomfortable than painful, and could save your life. If you don't want to do it for you, do it for your loved ones...think of how devastated they would be if anything happened to you.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I haven't had one for 5 years. I know it's stupid but the longer I leave it, the worse I get about going to have one, partly because I think there's more chance of something being wrong the longer it goes.

This thread has made me determined to pull myself together and get sorted.

I'm terrified though!!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

When I was 15 my mum was diagnosed with cervical cancer discovered via her smear test.

She had to have a full hysterectomy and months of really nasty chemo.

She was one of the fortunate ones.

It takes 2 minutes, doesn't hurt and may one day save your life. Stop being so selfish and get on with it.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Have you got a funny fanny Mini?!?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope not!

Do you never worry though that it may be odd? Like I dont spend my days looking at lady gardens so dont know what a "normal" one looks like- I assume that mine is fine but wouldnt it be mortifying if they turned round and said "omg what is THAT?!"

Have been assured by the nursey/midwifey types on here that all is well though.

Oh and in all seriousness to the OP - I had pre cancerous cells lasered off- that was found in my smear at the age of 26. If I hadnt gone who knows what could have happened.

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the responses. As I said in my post, I do know it's the sensible thing to do.

I've been thinking about other checks and tests that I do attend regularly, and what the difference is. For example, as I have diabetes, I go every six months for blood tests (very painful as my veins are very thin and difficult to get at), blood pressure, weight, etc checks. Every year I have excruciatingly painful drops in my eyes so they can photograph my retinae, to check for retinopathy. Although none of these tests are pleasant, they don't scare me like a smear test does, and I'm glad to have them in order to avoid (quite likely) complications of diabetes. It's purely an emotional thing which is I think akin to a phobia.

Is there anyone who understands the phobia I've described, and has discovered an effective way of overcoming it? I'm not sure whether diazepam interacts with my other medication - perhaps it's something I could ask the doctor, but given the general attitude here, I'm worried that he'll just tell me to grow up and get on with it!

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

Aww sange thanks for your concern. The stupid thing is, the reason I haven't done it since I moved to London is that I've not registered with the GP down here, and you need to be registered to get this done. I get reminder letters from the place I'm registered with back oop north. I'm off work on Wednesday morning, so I promise you I'll go and register at the clinic and ask them what I need to do to have it done. I hope they do it during the family planning clinics on wednesday evenings. If so I'll make sure I go before the V&A trip, if it's appointment based I'll get the soonest available one.

Badger me!*

(pardon the pun)

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I dont think there is a woman on this planet that actually "enjoys" them, but they are there for a reason. I personally think that 3 yearly is too infrequent and it wouldnt bother me if i had to go every year if it meant i never get any nasties.

They are so quick and are just uncomfortable rather than painful. My advice would be to get the first appointment of the day and then head to work and forget about it.

Please really consider organising one.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

After having a 'sweep' when I was pregnant, a smear is a piece of cake...

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

At least it hasn't been battered by childbirth...

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It is a recognised phobia- speak to the gp/nurse and they will be able to help you. Short term diazepaem shouldnt interfere too much

But get it done- please- its important.

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

I should put my worries into context in that my first smear was a complete nightmare.

My cervix is (apparently) high and to the front/left and I had a fairly junior nurse who had difficulty getting the clampy-*** thing where it needed to be. Three attempts and she hadn't got it on. SO she went to get another more senior nurse to assist her, and that nurse brought a student nurse too. It took them a bit of fiddling before they finally got the damn thing in position, and ok after that it wasn't too bad and was over quickly but I was just so embarrassed. I was crying and hysterically telling them I didn't have a cerix by the time the second nurse +student came in!!

I know that was just unfortunate and has probably got worse in my mind as time passed, but I just wanted you to know I'm not being reluctant for no reason.

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm not surprised you are reluctant given that experience. Is that the only time you've had one? Maybe if you explain it to the nurse before hand it will help them to avoid making the same mistake. I find when having blood tests that I have to be quite firm in telling them which arm is best for finding a vein!

Thanks for the observation about it being a recognised phobia; that is reassuring. I will try speaking to the nurse about how I feel - hopefully she won't tell me I'm being immature or selfish.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Go and have a smear test.

I had one is September and they picked up borderline changes, I have to go back in March to check how things are going. Worst case scenario, in 10-15 years these changes might turn into cancer, however thanks to the smear test I had a few months ago this will never happen as I can have preventative treatment if I need it. How incredible is it that they can pick up something so tiny, 10-15 years before it MIGHT turn into something dangerous?

When I first got the letter, I was terrified and convinced I was going to die (silly), but that reaction to even the slightest thought that I MIGHT one day, if I leave things, develop cancer, made me realise just how blessed I am to be able to get a smear test on the NHS as a matter of course and hopefully avoid ever having to hear that news.

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Mooey - I am the Queen of the membrane sweep! My fingers have got many a woman into labour! @Mini - all vaginas look the same to us midwives and nothing shocks us!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wish you'd done mine then - I had a man do it and it hurt. ☹️

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

My friend worries that she'll fart when she's having hers done! Haha

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

If they could invent a do it yourself smear test kit, I reckon that would encourage lots more people to check themselves. I'd be prepared to try it out!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics