Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

l0vaduck
Beginner April 2008

Anyone else putting off having a smear test?

l0vaduck, 5 of November of 2011 at 14:22

Posted on Off Topic Posts 71

I'm due for a smear test (overdue to be honest) but I absolutely hate them. I cannot bear the thought of it - I would rather take the risk. Does anyone feel the same, and do you have a successful way of getting through them? I know it's the sensible thing to do but can't bring myself to go. Scaring...

I'm due for a smear test (overdue to be honest) but I absolutely hate them. I cannot bear the thought of it - I would rather take the risk.

Does anyone feel the same, and do you have a successful way of getting through them? I know it's the sensible thing to do but can't bring myself to go.

Scaring me into it with horror stories of cervical cancer won't work either, because there's a better than even chance that I'll never get it.

71 replies

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

I've just seen this thread! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if anyone is thinking of not going etc, please do go, its really important, they picked up cancerous cells in my smear when I was 22! and had a colposcopy and laser treatment to sort ou the cells.

I didn't think it was important at that age but couldn't believe it when I had to go back on the referral.

Please go and just try to relax its over in less than 20secs x

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I think I have been quite fortunate in that I have never had a bad experience (so far). My OH would love it if I could go every year as he gets very worried that I might have cancer. I do it for him as well as myself, I would hate to think that anything abnormal was missed because I didn't go.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

I started getting letters when I was 20 but I ignored them til I was 24 and my OH found out I'd never been, he wasn't too pleased, so he made the appt and I went. I've only had one since and again he did it for me - that was the hard part. He's a real sweetheart doing something like that, I always think it must be embarrassing for him making the call so the least I can do is go and get the test lol

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Life is so precious why would you take for granted something as important as your health.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I think it's wrong that screening starts at 25 in England. It should much younger than that.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

It is much too old when there are plenty of cases of cancer younger than 25. A couple of my friends have had laser for abnormal cells. They're under 25.

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

PS I should have said, I wore a really long skirt and u dont even have to lift it above ur knees, so you really don't feel naked naked. What a relieft that was.

The age must be 20 in Scotland then cos thats when I started getting the letters....although as I said, I was 24 (and a half) before I went (got made to go lol)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics