Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner January 2012

Anyone gave out flip flops to guests for the evening reception ?

kellouloud, 10 of October of 2012 at 11:05 Posted on Planning 0 30

Good morning !

Ive read about brides putting flip flops for guests to wear at the evening reception with a note saying something like ... Rest your dancing feet !

Has anyone done this ? Can't decide if its a good idea or a waste of time ?

Thanks in advance :-) x

30 replies

Latest activity by maple, 16 of October of 2012 at 08:17
  • Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Oooh im not sure. some might and some might not use them. then its trampled toes!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Loads of people on here have provided flip flops. Everyone that did said it went down very well.

I thought about it but it was pure laziness that stopped me to be honest.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

This is quite a popular idea and i'd say that it's something most weddings we've covered this year have had.

They are always really well used and quite often the baskets are empty (or getting there) by the time we head off for the evening.

I suppose it depends of whether many of your guests will be wearing heels. If you anticipate that a fair number of your female guests will be in heels for the day, it's a nice gesture I think Smiley smile

Although not having flip flops available rarely stops people getting up and dancing if they want to, there's always someone strutting their stuff with bare feet!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I didn't do it purely because it was too much hassle for my abroad wedding and I had far too many guests at my home wedding!

I've been to a few weddings where they've done it and I think it's a nice touch. I made full use at my BIL's wedding last year when my feet were killing me but I still wanted to dance.

Like PavonePhotography said though, if they hadn't been there I would have just danced in bare feet!

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

Yeah, I am. I'm having a Christmas wedding though, so unsure how practical they'll actually be if most girls have tights on....

Here's the poem I am using -

You bought your shoes to match your dress

and now your feet are sore.

Help yourself to a pair of these

& come & dance some more.

• cinnamonfairy
    Rockstar June 2020
    cinnamonfairy ·
    • Hide content

I was thinking about it, but now I don't think I'll bother. The only people that tend to complain about sore feet are my nan and OHs mum. So they've said they'll just bring their slippers!

• F
    fodenphotography ·
    • Hide content

I've never heard of flip flops being handed out at a wedding- thats quite a cool idea... are they personalised ones???

Foden Photography

• L
    Beginner July 2014
    LexiiLovee1990 ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to do this! Just a few pairs for the ones who can't handle the high heels all day and night Smiley smile x

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

I am doing this, have canvassed opinions of the majority of the people who will be wearing heels on the big day and they have all said it would be a great idea! I got 25 pairs for £1 each from Asda so if they don't get used I won't be too disappointed or much out of pocket

• E
    Beginner August 2013
    Elodia ·
    • Hide content

I'am thinking of doing this, however what sizes would you get? Would you get 3x 5,6,7?

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Think they usually go in 3/4, 5/6 and 7/8 - I am fairly sure I got about 5 pairs of 3/4, 10 pairs 5/6 and the rest 7/8 (or some combination like that). Its a bit difficult to guess but I would aim for more of the middle sizes and less small - if that helps!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I will be, I think we've got about 30 pairs of flip flops for 150 guests, so approx 75 women.

Went through the guest list and worked out who would likely use them, and based it on that. Can't remember the size split but definitely bought more of the middle size.

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I'll be having some. I'll look at the guest list closer to the time and try and figure out what sizes I'll need. Most people are between 5 and 8 so lots of them.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I've only been to one wedding where they were on offer and I did use them (bit of a pain to ceilidh dance with!!) I did chuckle though when I saw H and his friend with them on whilst wearing their kilts!!!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

It's quite common to have a basket in the ladies, we didn't, but I think it's a good idea.

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

A wedding i went to recently had a basket of flip flops and a basket of those roll up shoes in little bags... within an hour of arriving people were already taking them for later. big success x

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Roll up shoes? Where do you get those?

ETA I found them Smiley smile

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I had ballerina-type slippers. Purely because I can't stand flip-flops that go in between your toes.

I had around 30 pairs of ballerinas, and 20 pairs of slipper socks (my back ups as I didn't know how many pairs to buy). They were all used!

It not hugely original now, but usually very well received.

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can I ask, was it actual slippers or something else?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They were actual slippers. I just said ballerina to mean these:

And not these:

The slipper socks were a back up purchase, but they got used too. We had a ceilidh for part of the evenign and I think that made them very popular!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Ducky, I could just imagine you walking about in those Lions!!

• Puddycat
    Beginner December 2012
    Puddycat ·
    • Hide content

I had also been pondering this and also have a Dec wedding, so love the idea of slippers/roll up shoes. Where is the cheapest place to get these?

• ellebob
    Beginner February 2013
    ellebob ·
    • Hide content

I don't get the trend at all, people who are going to a wedding know they'll be dancing so surely they can decide on appropriate shoes themselves! Also, flip flops give blisters so I'd be better of in heels, lol

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sort of with ellebob on this. I keep thinking about doing this, but then I sort of wonder whether it's a bit unnecessary....

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most things to do with weddings are unnecessary though if you think about it. It's just a case of personal preference, and choosing your priorities.

It's not something that I would say is by any means expected, so if you you're not into the idea don't feel obliged. I think it's only become so popular because it's relatively cheap and always (in my experience) well received

If you do it, it'll be appreciated, if you don't it wont even be noticed Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner October 2013
    jfletcherx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm with you guys too. Unnecessary extras. I struggle in high heels, but always keep them on when dancing, because if I take them off, I can never get them back on! I'm expecting plenty of barefoot during the dancing and that's fine.

x

• ChannyPink
    Beginner September 2014
    ChannyPink ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to do this but with thoes litle pump like slippers you get, I brought a pair from Primark for £1.50 and there fluffly with a bow and diamond and look lovely thought be nice to dance in for sore feet and people staying in hotel can walk straight up to bed in them, and a prezzie to take away, and easy as there just small, medium and large, Smiley smile

• ChannyPink
    Beginner September 2014
    ChannyPink ·
    • Hide content

Like these Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2013
    Munstermad ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I do plan to. At my friend's wedding a few years ago, our whole group had brought flipflops with us and changed during the night, the bride's mum thought it was hilarious and still talks about it.

As my friends and family will be travelling to our wedding, chances are that flipflops will be forgotten so I will definitely provide for them. Nothing like that feeling of comfort after hours of dancing!

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    Blondilocks ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of slippers so guests can walk up to their rooms in them too! Will see how the budget is doing towards the end Smiley smile

I've not been to a wedding that had these buy tend to take my own flats with me although the last few times it was because I had to go by train or tube and walk a bit rather than because of dancing.

• M
    Beginner August 2015
    maple ·
    • Hide content

It is a good idea, you can even personalised it with your name and date. if you are crafty, you an add some diamonte to it for the ladies one.i have a question, if they change to flip flops where do they put their shoes that the guests originally wore to the evening?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics