Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hypnopoison
Beginner September 2012

Anyone put any unusual requests in your invites?

Hypnopoison, 11 of July of 2012 at 06:26

Posted on Planning 266

I requested for ladies not to wear black, only because I find it strange that so many women wear black to weddings these days, as I'd never dream of wearing black to a wedding as it is a funeral colour and not a celebratory colour. I want my guests to be in all the colours of the rainbow, nice,...

I requested for ladies not to wear black, only because I find it strange that so many women wear black to weddings these days, as I'd never dream of wearing black to a wedding as it is a funeral colour and not a celebratory colour. I want my guests to be in all the colours of the rainbow, nice, bright and cheery Smiley surprise) I am hoping everyone realises that it isn't polite to wear cream or white either (I haven't mentioned that though).

Its not wrong to ask my guests to not wear something is it???

266 replies

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly. Good for you. I also have a job in the city, doesn't mean I'd go buy a hat or fascinator. I think they look silly, whatever style.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Asking your guests to wear hats/fascinators because, in your own words, you think they'd look silly without them is a bit different to paying for BMs to wear a dress in your chosen colour.

It's all a bit Hyacinth Bucket for me, a touch of misplaced snobbery. If someone doesn't fit in to your "posh" venue, a hat/fascinator isn't going to help. If someone does fit in, a hat/fascinator will make no difference.

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't understand the point - some people might have double standards and be awful about BM's dresses..... most aren't and wouldn't dream of forcing someone to wear something..... That's an entirely separate and independent point.

Glad you have such high quality friends Smiley winking

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I have a city job (ooh get me); If I had a nice dress, I would wear it, I wouldn't buy a new one especially - black or otherwise. I wouldn't wear a facinator/hat if I didn't feel comfortable in one, and personally, I don't think headwear makes an outfit any more 'posh' or whatever you are getting at. Princess Eugine anyone??

And as it goes, my BMs all helped find their dress, all liked it, if one of them hadn't, I wouldn't have bought it, but choosing your BRIDEal parties outfits is a completely different story to telling your guests what they cant/have to wear.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh my days you totally didn't get my point. ?

Umm the point was made that it would be unreasonable to make somebody buy a new outfit for a wedding because of cost ?????

My point is im 30 OH is 40 so all our friends and us are of a similar age to us and are therefore at a time in our lives where we are financially stable which would be different if i were getting married in my early 20's for example where our friends and I might have been at uni saving for deposit on house, travelling, starting a career etc

So my point is I can appreciate that my request might be unreasonable for some on here because of cost for whatever reason unemployment, young family, buying a house, saving for their own wedding etc etc etc however I am fortunate that this is not an issue for us or our friends at this present time in our lives....

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• saspip
    Beginner May 2012
    saspip ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

This thread is classic Hitched and absolutely bloody hilarious.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Just out of curiosity, what if one of your very successful, city job friends didn't WANT to spend their oodles of money on a new hat?

I'm very curious as to what your venue is now. As I struggle to think of any where people would look ridiculous if they didn't wear hats/fascinators.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

No I think our invites were very 'usual.'

I would never specify what my guests should or should not wear, I don't really care as long as they are there! (Oo that rhymes!)

If it REALLY mattered to us (which it doesn't), I would be inclined to include a line;

'Dress code: Please dress to make our day as colourful as possible'

Ok that's super-cheesy, but perhaps better received than 'Don't wear black.'

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I need to hang out on WP more often, I've been missing out.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Haha i love it how everyone takes everything so serious ?

Jeevs fetch me some more champagne chop chop

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's cheered me up today ?

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I'm not taking it seriously. Like I said, this thread is hilarious.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How old did you say you were again?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Sangelina!

That is all!

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    swardy ·
    • Hide content

I personally think it's an honour to be included in someones wedding day, especially with the cost of weddings these days, and if the bride asked me to turn up in a clown suit I would!! If I couldn't afford whatever the bride was asking I would explain this to them and either compromise or offer to just attend at the evening if the dress code was more relaxed. There is no way in the world I would upset a bride on the biggest day of her life when she's probably spending thousands of pounds so its perfect for her and hubby and she'll have to look at the photos forever. I can be as stubborn as the rest but no way would I risk hurting someones feelings on their wedding day through being stubborn.

And my ex MIL turned up at my hen do in jeans (when I had asked everyone not to - didn't care what they wore, just not jeans!) and to our wedding in all black (doomed from the start!!) and almost everyone passed comment on how inappropriate it was.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

L denought

old enough to know better ?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To know what better?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unless we had a fancy dress theme, I wouldn't dream of telling people what to wear for a hen night. Even if it was fancy dress, I wouldn't be bothered if someone didn't want to take part.

Why didn't you want people to wear jeans?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Anything you can do,
    I can do better.
    I can do anything
    Better than you.

No, you can't.
    Yes, I can. No, you can't.
    Yes, I can. No, you can't.
    Yes, I can,
    Yes, I can!

Anything you can be
    I can be greater.
    Sooner or later,
    I'm greater than you.

No, you're not. Yes, I am.
    No, you're not. Yes, I am.
    No, you're NOT!. Yes, I am.
    Yes, I am!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you drunk?

• Blonde Viki
    Beginner July 2012
    Blonde Viki ·
    • Hide content

now i'm confused... when did this become about being "better" than someone else?

• O
    Beginner January 2011
    onetwothree ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It becomes less of an 'honour where you'll do anything to please' when you get 5-10 invitations a year and need to recycle your dresses. Attending that many can easily add up to the cost of a small wedding anyway! And anyway, just beacuse a couple chooses to spend thousands doesn't mean the guests should. You can easily have a small, budget wedding. Someone spending shedloads shouldn't make me feel obliged to do the same.

TBH, no-one I know has ever suggested anything like this. If they did, I'd reassess what type of person they were!

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    swardy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Because a friend of mine knew someone with a bar that had offered us a VIP area, champagne etc but their dress code was no jeans. And everyone was aware of this. So she basically ruined that for us because we I had hired a coach to take us the 40 miles there and could hardly refuse to let her come!!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So that's a bit different and totally understandable. Fancy her doing that!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh, that's completely different then! Understandable you were annoyed.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I probably would be a bit taken aback if someone requested I didnt wear black or even white. I would hope they would have faith in me that I would choose my own suitable outfit for a wedding.

I dont think black looks out of place at a wedding providing its accessorised right.

I also dont wear hats or fascinators to weddings..I dont think its really necessary these days and really dont care what my guests will put on their heads.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well you should have said that originally, but then this happens on hitched all the time. As for the rest, um no. I love going to weddings but I resent shelling out money for a dress code just because the bride spent thousands. Not my problem.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See thats a perfect reason to request someone doesn't wear something. I would have called her a taxi!

• S
    Beginner March 2014
    swardy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nobody is asking the guests to spend thousands. A friend of mine swears by charity shops where she has bought some fab brand new dresses with tags on for a fiver. Also, surely some (being the word, not all!) people have friends or family members who could maybe let them borrow a dress to fit in with the request? And not everyone of the '5-10' weddings you mentioned would ask guests to wear something specific. I also put that I would talk to the bride if there was a problem and not just wear the very thing they had asked me not to out of sheer stubborness like some people. And I did not say I would do 'anything to please' but at the end of the day a wedding is a special day.

• C
    Beginner September 2013
    Caraboo ·
    • Hide content

My dress code page on my wedding info website says:

Dress code

Well, people have been asking "what shall I wear?", so here's our absolute, definitive "what to wear" code for our big day.

Are you ready? Pen poised over paper?
    Wear whatever you jolly well like. Got that? Good.

All that matters is that you are there. I think we will be rather too busy on the day to notice if you're wearing odd socks or - gasp - brown socks with black shoes! OK, I might draw the line at a "shorts, socks and sandals" combination.

Just remember, we are hoping (weather permitting) to hold as much as possible of the celebrations outside, so make sure you keep an eye on the weather forecast before the big day so that you're dressed accordingly and bring something to wrap around you during the evening.

If you are planning on joining us chilling out around the pool the following day, don't forget your swimming cossie and a towel!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics