Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hypnopoison
Beginner September 2012

Anyone put any unusual requests in your invites?

Hypnopoison, 11 of July of 2012 at 06:26

Posted on Planning 266

I requested for ladies not to wear black, only because I find it strange that so many women wear black to weddings these days, as I'd never dream of wearing black to a wedding as it is a funeral colour and not a celebratory colour. I want my guests to be in all the colours of the rainbow, nice,...

I requested for ladies not to wear black, only because I find it strange that so many women wear black to weddings these days, as I'd never dream of wearing black to a wedding as it is a funeral colour and not a celebratory colour. I want my guests to be in all the colours of the rainbow, nice, bright and cheery Smiley surprise) I am hoping everyone realises that it isn't polite to wear cream or white either (I haven't mentioned that though).

Its not wrong to ask my guests to not wear something is it???

266 replies

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Fancy dress? Wear something red? 60s?

You've basically recounted 3 of the last 4 housewarming parties I've been invited to ?

• T
    teaparty2011 ·
    • Hide content

I would be mortified if a guest had to decline an invite because they caouldn't afford to dress as per the bride's dress code. Surely people are more important than the clothes on their back.

I know some posters are having a bit of fun with this thread and I don't blame them. But the scary thing is, I think a handful are totally serious about dictating to their friends and family. I'm pretty old (48) and been to lots of weddings and not once has a invite told me what to wear or even hinted. I can only assume that this is the norm and hope it stays that way.

We have a now elderly family friend who has been invited to most family weddings for 50 years. Quite honestly she dresses like a bag lady and always has. Does it stop her getting an invite? NO! Does anyone say anything and make her feel bad? NO!

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I've just read the whole thread. Funyjameso I want some of what you've had. Song lyrics?! Also I have decided the sticky out tongue smiley makes me ?. Permission to slap me if I ever use it. Its worse than lol.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

OP, good job you haven't got goth friends like mine. ?

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

OP, good job you haven't got goth friends like mine. ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

You obviously don't get invited to posh City weddings!

• stephanieeff
    Beginner July 2014
    stephanieeff ·
    • Hide content

Seriously?

If I received an Invite that told me not to wear black I'd ignore it. I'd wear whatever I felt most comfortable in and if it happened to be black then so be it. If on the day the bride cared so badly that she'd approach me about it I'd tell her she had her priorities in the wrong place.

These people are your GUESTS, not your employees.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Oh I've missed these threads, it's been a while.

I have nothing useful to add other than Mummy Pink wore black and she looked fab! I would comply to the request but would be pretty pissed off, especially if I had already bought my outfit..

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I wore a black wedding dress.

I was mourning the loss of my single life.

• stephanieeff
    Beginner July 2014
    stephanieeff ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

Did any guest that wore cream/white get mistaken for the bride?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

With friends/family like this who needs enemy's? If asking guests to avoid wearing a certain colour is such a big ask, lets hope nobody gets sick and asks for a kidney or something coz that really would be taking the p!ss.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Guests? Oh no no no. Couldn't risk being up-staged on my big day.

I had no guests.?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, I'd give my kidney willingly, but would I want to change the outfit I'd planned because you didn't like the colour? Er, no thanks.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

A friend of mine has a big bird costume, Ive asked her to wear it to the wedding but she has refused.

Do you think I should now shun her as she isn't following my requested dess code...

The outfit...

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

Lol, Funkyjameseo , fair play the kIdney comment made laugh out loud. Too true.

You lot honestly think that if a friend or relative rang me to say, ask, explain or whatever that they honestly couldnt afford it because they are skint that I would mind or that it would be a problem ... Are you serious? I wouldnt mind that at all. Its the people who have said that they would do the opposite on purpose and out of plain spite who would annoy me. If they call themselves friends, can you imagine them being an enemy ... Uuhrrggg, makes me sudder at how nasty some people could consider being for no reason. Also I havent put it in the invite as a dress code, but as a request. Doesn't mean that they "have" to follow it, although I would prefer it if they did.

Nothing wrong with black wedding dresses or BM dresses. One of my mates got married in a Scarlett red dress and had black BMs, nothing wrong with it. A matter of personal choice. They all looked stunning. I considered a red, blue or purple dress myself Smiley surprise)

I can't afford the expense of what it is going to cost me to go to a friend's wedding in April as they haven't booked locally, so it's going to cost me travel, hotel, present, outfit and drinks. You don't see me getting my knickers in a twist and saying how inconsiderate or rude they didn't think of their guests. If that's where they want their big day, then so be it. I'll make it work because they matter to me. It's costing them a fortune so it is the least I can do and if the bride wants me to wear pink with yellow spots, then I will go out of my way to help her have the day she wants with no added stress or antagonism, because I am a good friend like that Smiley surprise)

Blimey what would you all say if I told you that my venue has no rooms for anyone to stay in either ... And that it was never an important thing to consider for me when I chose my venue ..... I'm awful aren't I Smiley surprise)

• K
    Beginner April 2013
    Kadypants ·
    • Hide content

Wow, long thread! That's ten minutes I'll never get back!

IMO I would wear the suggested attire on the day, but grumble about it constantly beforehand. I don't agree with telling people what to wear, I believe people need to feel comfortable and confident in order to enjoy themselves. Which is why my bridesmaids will also be choosing their own dresses.

I can understand why you might advise a guest on what to wear IF they asked, in a manner of "well, I know the girls from uni are all wearing maxi dresses, and such and such is wearing a cardigan..." etc etc, so that they could make an informed decision if they wanted to. But I certainly wouldn't specify it in my invitations.

• Chickster
    Beginner August 2013
    Chickster ·
    • Hide content

What an interesting thread!

I remember years ago Mel B stipulating that everyone had to wear black and white to her wedding, but she's a celebrity so she can get away with it!!

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

Actually, let's get this into perspective:

Asking people to wear fancy dress for a birthday or party, for no other reason than that's what you want (which costs money, is extremely time consuming and a total pain in the arse, plus it makes you feel totally stupid and self conscious) = totally acceptable

Asking people to refrain from wearing one colour for a wedding = bang out of order

Also, many brides expect their friends to go abroad for their hen do and have bridal showers (I went abroad for a friends before and it cost me the best part of £600-£700 quid), I haven't done any of that!

Really, still don't see a request to avoid wearing black as an issue in any shape or form.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Everyone on Hitched is very honest, that's what makes this place so useful.

You asked a question and you'll get their honest answer. It may not be what you wanted/expected but it is the opinion you asked for.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So why did you start the thread then, asking whether it was the wrong thing to do?

• Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm having a black and cream theme. We did consider a black tie dress code but felt it was rude and expensive to ask people. People can wear want they want. As long as I'm a mrs at the end of the day I don't care!

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

True, fair comment ladies, I did ask Smiley surprise)

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

A few months before my brother's wedding (before the invitations were sent out we were talking to my brother and sister-in-law and she mentioned something about not wanting anyone else to wear purple at her wedding other than the bridesmaids. Pretty much everything in my wardrobe is some kind of purple. I had decided to make a dress to wear for the wedding and was half way through making it, it was lilac and silver (Her bridesmaid dresses were cadburys purple). I told her this and she didn't seem impressed. When the invitations came out there was no mention of outfit colours, it took me a long time to make that dress and I wouldn't have changed it if there ahd been.

I have worn black to a wedding before but I was only invited to the evening reception and I knew the bride loved all things sparkly and this was the sparkliest dress I could find.

Several people at my wedding had some part of their outfit as black, i didn't care. One of my friends even wore an ivory coloured dress, but it was short and nothing like a wedding dress. I didn't even notice until my sister pointed it out and then I didn't care.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

This. Or a fascinator, which obviously as I work in the city and I'm in my 30s I can afford. I just choose not to as I don't like them.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh dear

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear what?

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

Also i will often buy an outfit for a wedding in advance if I know I will be going, ie before I have recieved a formal invitation. Particularly if I see something I like in the sales. So if you are going to make requests about what guest wear or don't wear I think you should make everyone aware of this well in advance.

• Carolanne83
    Beginner March 2013
    Carolanne83 ·
    • Hide content

I was out shopping today with my nan, looking for something for her to wear to my wedding. I pointed out a lovely mainly black dress and she said i don't want to look like im going to a funeral and i thought what an old fashioned thing to say! Then I come home and read this! I think people should just wear what they want to weddings. In the grand scheme of things a slong as the people i love are at my wedding thats all that matters.

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

I miss not been able to Hitch in the day! It's been ages since a good thread popped up!

If someone asked me to not wear a certain colour, I'd wear it on principle.

• I
    Beginner March 2013
    icklelea ·
    • Hide content

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

Nope! I'm with you on this one icklelea!

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics