Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

BumbleBrat

Anyone wanna join me?

BumbleBrat, 29 of December of 2010 at 14:34 Posted on Planning 0 24

Have decided that between now and the wedding, I'm going to pop any loose change (Silver and gold coins, not coppers) and notes into my money tin. Will open it just before the wedding and whatever is inside will go towards the honeymoon (Either spending money or actually determining where we end up!) as we were not actually planning on saving for it seperately to our Wedding saving.

Anyone wanna join in and do the same?

I got one of those tins that you have to tin open to get into, but a huge one (4 or 5 times the size of a beans tin) God knows how much it can fit in it but I want it full lol.

24 replies

Latest activity by Natalie2011, 30 of December of 2010 at 12:54
  • Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

We're doing the same, we had one of those 'Terramundi' pots, took us a month of putting £1 coins only in it to fill it. we smashed it on christmas day and had £320 in it for the wedding fund! Amazing at how much you can save when you cant get into it! We've bought one of those tins like you have now, so will start it all again!

Good luck with yours Smiley smile

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

This is always a good plan, H2B empties his pockets into the bowl on top of the fridge every day when he gets home (hates carrying coins around with him) and is really is amazing how quickly it all adds up.

I have a terramundi pot which has about £30 of notes in it at the moment, I will start adding more money to that I think (although it is pretty and I really don't want to smash it!!!)... how much can I get in 2 months and a bit? Hmmm......

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

We were the same about smashing it.. so in the end H2B carved a hole in it with a jigsaw type of tool and we still have it Smiley smile I know it breaks the whole concept of smashing it, but it was too lovely to smash!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I'll have to remember that...

*scurries off to empty purse*

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I like Terramundi's but they seem expensive for something you're gonna smash Smiley sad

My big tin was a couple of quid from Home Bargains.. Might cover it in Wedding paper so it isn't so unsightly lol.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I have two of these, although i couldnt find ones that couldnt be opened Smiley smile I have one for coins and when it gets full I get the money changed and then put the notes into the other one Smiley smile

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is true, ours was an engagement pressie from my sister (bought on discount lol!)

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I think I might do this too ? I've got a few random (sheep) moneyboxes around so will use them

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

I have my little "Wedding Fund" piggie bank! ? also we have a large Whiskey bottle that we fill up with bronze and silver coins!
    These are going to pay for the wedding rings, so far we have about £190 in both

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

We do that as well - and then take it to tescos to get changed intp cash with their coin machines..... it really helps us out with the big shopping bill!

happy saving girls!

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

We've done the same already with £1 and £2 coins and have saved over £200 so far!

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

Just convinced H2B that this is a great idea in order to help save for the honeymoon! Need to find a money bank now!

• loobylou1979
    Beginner February 2011
    loobylou1979 ·
    • Hide content

Tweezers and patience are your friend...trust me, I've done it!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Ooh it's funny that you should say this as I have just picked up some coin bags from the bank to count our collection of coins.

We put all of our coins in tin jars like the one you have. We have one in each of our rooms at our parents and one in each of our rooms at work plus my Grandad saves them too for us. We just got the pot from my Grandad - we have £52 in 20p pieces. Can't wait to count the rest as we've been putting all our change in there.

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

I've been doing this for a few years now. I have a 4.5L rum bottle and I put any tips I get into that, and I've also got a normal sized cat-shaped money box that I use to put the spare change that OH leaves lying around in.

I counted up the rum bottle a couple of months ago and there was about £700 in there? I've since decided that it's going to go towards spending money for the holiday - which means that I'll have to find a new source of change for car parking!?

• MrsLtobe
    Beginner April 2012
    MrsLtobe ·
    • Hide content

Great idea!

We did this a few months ago and saved up LOADS this way! I've got one of these:

Which is huuuge, so hopefully we'll fill this up! :-D

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Oooh dunna count it yourself Kayl, whack it in one of them machines in Tesco/Sainsburys etc and it does the dirty work.. Nothing worse than the smell of money, I hate it!

I'm working for a few hours later and will get paid cash so gonna put some of that in my tin. I've been round the house looking for coins to add to my collection. Might get another one just for coppers as they are lying about everywhere!

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

I have an old vodka bottle (one of those large ones) and we put all our coppers and 5 pence pieces in that but what a great idea to put in £1.00 coins, I'm going to start that in the New Year....

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Bridebrat - I am too tight and too much of a control freak to pay someone else to tell me how much money i've collected...... No No No.. ?.

TBH if it were 1ps and 2ps I might consider it but I refuse to let someone charge me £1.20 to tell me my 20x£1 coins mean I have £20, which is now only worth £18.80... Every penny counts and all that.

• MissW
    Beginner September 2011
    MissW ·
    • Hide content

Ohh first post!

We've been doing this a while! We save every year - We now have 3 pots - £1's for the honeymoon in a sealed pot, A pot for silver coins and a pot for bronze coins.

We took the silver and bronze to Coinstar today and had £56, whoop!

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

We have one of these too (except ours is a Toy Story one!) and have been putting in it for a couple of months now. Weve been a bit slack the last few weeks but will start it up again. We plan on using ours for something wedding related. x

• Tanya77
    Beginner August 2011
    Tanya77 ·
    • Hide content

We've got a wedding fund money box which can only be opened with a tin opener - reckon we must have almost £100 in there so far. My 4-year-old niece often pesters my sister for money to put in it when she comes round to our flat "so that Auntie Tanya can buy a pretty wedding dress!" ?

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Oooh yay, lotsa people joining me Smiley laugh I've just popped a fiver in my tin to start off the note collection. Can't wait to see how far all my loose change (Which I hopefully wont miss!) will take us on honeymoon ?

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

We did this since May this year and at xmas got the can opener out and we'd saved just shy of £300! chuffed! I like the pound coin idea though might get one just for £1 coins Smiley smile Reckon we'd either have a decent amount to spend on honeymoon or something else..... ooooh, thought....... i'm going to do it and put the money behind the bar! we'd not really budgeted that much so that could work well!

I CANNOT do the standard piggy bank ones, i find my self dipping in to to far too often! LOL!

I am not a fan of the coinstar myself i too like to count it myself Smiley smile (although i do HATE the smell of the coins LOL)

Exciting stuff!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics