Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Ducky*
Beginner July 2012

Are French manicures dated?

*Ducky*, 8 of April of 2012 at 22:27 Posted on Planning 0 45

I know they have been around for years and at one point I was sure I was going to have a French manicure for the wedding.

However now I'm thinking they are over done and a bit last-decade and perhaps a neutral pale pink on short shiny buffed nails woul be more classy.

My-friend-who-is-also-my-beautician and I trust her judgement completely said 'Kate Middleton is one of the most elegant women around at the moment and I can't imagine her with bright white tips - however, I still get asked for French manicure by lots of my clients, but you wouldn't catch me with one nowadays.'

So I'm interested in what type of nail varnish/shallac/bio sculpture manicure are you planning to have?

45 replies

Latest activity by Bathsheeba, 9 of April of 2012 at 20:07
  • K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

I was going to have french manicure until I read this ? and now im doubting it because i think you may be right it might be a bit 'tacky' now ?

• A
    Beginner September 2013
    anna89 ·
    • Hide content

Must admit I think it's a little dated - would go with pale pink/clear varnish, but that's just me!

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

I have white tips every day too, so will be having neutral too for wedding day.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

In fairness I think I am more a 'short, clean and shiny nails' type of person than the some of the more adventurous styles out there!

I'm trying to make an effort to keep things as natural and neutral and 'me' as possible, so I don't look back on pictures and think 'oh wow! Look at how we wore our hair/nails/dresses in the 2010's!'

I was worried just having neutral nails wouldn't look like I'd made enough effort, but I think I will just go for the less-is-more look.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Have to say I've never been a fan of french manicures so wouldn't have one but think they are a bit dated.

I reckon I'll either go clear or a light buff type colour - something neutral. Normally go for a dark colour but don't think that would look right for an August wedding & it's really obvious if you chip it. Will go for dark colour on toe nails - particularly if my black toe nail doesn't go or I gain another one between now & then!

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

Would you have a little bit of nail art on? Prehaps a crystal or something?

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

Not to offend anyone here but they just remind me of the whole 'essex girl' culture... you can get some gorgeous neutral colours now - take a look at nails inc, they're my favourite nail brand... I love the fawn shades around atm.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Yes I have a nudey/fawn from nails inc and it's my favourite. I'm hoping we can match it to a biosculpture gel shade as they don't chip for at least ten days and stay super super shiny.

I wouldn't have gems on my finger nails, I don't think I'm trendy enough for that.

I think I may have a Tiffany blue colour on my tooties for my something blue. My friend wants to put 'I' on one big toe and 'do' on the other. We are having a trial nail run for my hen do and if that goes well I will let her for the wedding. I have full-shoes so they won't be on show anyway but I still want them to look nice.

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

You can get a nice french manicure - you dont have to have square big things that look so fake.

the last one I got was lovely and very natural - not fake essex looking at all.

I have still to decide to get one or go a bit wild and have something totally different ?

I love Nails inc Jermyn Street colour too

• LilMissBusyBride
    Beginner August 2013
    LilMissBusyBride ·
    • Hide content

I have to be honest and take one for the team and say I will so be having a french manicure. I have to say it will be on my own nails rather than acrylics so not to be Essexy but it's what i always have and I want to be me on my wedding day. Personally I often think that pinks if too pearly rather than high gloss can be a bit dated. I guess like dresses it comes down to individual taste x

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I think this kind of french manicure with massive white tips is a bit dated and not something I would ever go for

But if you get a very natural looking one on your own nails then I don't really see how that can be dated as it's just a polished version of you.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Frandy - the second picture is similar to what I have had done before as my nails are kept short and I ask for off-white. But I still thought they looked too white and 'done'.

I think I might try using a nail whitener pencil under the free edge of my nail rather than paint the white on and see if that give a more natural, healthy nail look.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Old Bear - things can date even if they mimic natural things. For example, perms have become dated even though they mimic naturally curly hair.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I'm not trying to start a petty argument of my nail choice will be better than what your nail choice was. I am asking for opinions as to whether a neutral polish would be enough for my wedding, and I am pleased to say some people think it will.

Others are more comfortable with a more daring look an have their nails done most of the time, so for them a plain polish just wouldn't cut the mustard.

Luckily you don't think it is dated. So 'twas the perfect look for you.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it matters. It's all about what looks good on you. I think the reason big white tips look tacky on a lot of girls is because the rest of their persona doesn't suit them. On a strong, elegant business woman, they wouldn't look tacky. It's all about the person wearing them and I wouldn't consider it fair to tell someone something is dated. It was popular at one time for a reason, there's no reason we can't still embrace that. Just my two pennies.

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

I'm with Frandy and OB on this one and was also reading this with some astonishment. Anything OTT will date but if it's subtle, natural looking and executed well then I don't think you can go too too far wrong. I'll be getting something French manicure-esque.

As for your wedding look not dating...good luck with that DB! I'm sure we'll all look very Princess Di in 15 years time!!! Lol!

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*snort*

I can but try!

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

DuckyBum go for "American" is like a french manicure but more natural looking. I have acrylic nails and either have an American or a cream (sounds awful but looks lovely!) colour. Go have a manicure and ask for American, it looks really stylish. French is too "in your face" IMHO.

x

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It all sounds a bit Brazilian to me.... ?

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hehe cheeky! ? It's a really nice version of a french manicure. Try it...you might like it!

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

Here you go:

(not my nails)

You can see that the nails are more natural and the tips are not so bright [white] like with a French manicure.

x

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I used to do my own french manicures and just put neutral top coats on until it didn't look too white. I've always liked a natural french polish on my finger nails but I once got my toes done and hated it because they looked so fake, always prefer a strong colour on my toes for some reason.

I think I'll probably have a natural french polish for my wedding but my friend just learned how to do Shellac so I might check out what neutral colours she has as it would last for my honeymoon too.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

I like what Shelley has put up there, although not with the square shape at the edge of the nail. I think I will just paint my own nails a neutral shade of pink or nude or possibly go and get it done professionally. I saw somewhere the other day that some brides are now painting their nails a bright solid colour, it looks quite cool but not something I would do Asti might take attention away from the rings!

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is lovely shelley, im back on the french/ american bandwagon!!!! ?

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

I have Shellac/Jessica nail polish on and for day to day i tend to wear block colours, but for my wedding I will be going for the french manicure as i love how clean and frsh it makes my nails look. x

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

I will be having a French manicure!

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I think they look lovely.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I had a french manicure and don't think it looks dated or 'essex'.

A natural/neutral colour would be fine too.

I think bright colours or nail art would look dated quickly, but only if it bothers you!

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

I have huge long essex nails!!!! as i will be having for the wedding! my bm's take the micky that if i have even longer ones done for the wedding they will have to feed me at the wedding breakfast!

Tacky or not i love them, i do see the point that they are popular with the whole towie/glamour girl/big fat gypsy wedding etc and that does cheapen the look somewhat (sorry to offend anyone) however as i will be wearing hair extensions, plenty of make-up and a spray tan im kinda going that route anyway... ?

• B
    Beginner February 2013
    Bride123 ·
    • Hide content

If you're having doubts about french manicure then I would suggest going for neutral colours instead like nude, pearl nail polishes

x

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I don't like french manicures, dated or not. So I'm having a block colour in biogel I think. I have a nails inc polish on at the moment that is a nude colour, so I think I'll try and get something like that.

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content

I have trouble grasping what people find 'shocking' about this thread, to be honest. None of the comments are surprising.

I've got quite extreme nail length with the false look white tips. It would never not occur to me that some people would find them tacky or dated, same as any other aspect of 'style' I wear. Each to their own...

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics