Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Ducky*
Beginner July 2012

Are French manicures dated?

*Ducky*, 8 of April of 2012 at 22:27

Posted on Planning 45

I know they have been around for years and at one point I was sure I was going to have a French manicure for the wedding. However now I'm thinking they are over done and a bit last-decade and perhaps a neutral pale pink on short shiny buffed nails woul be more classy....

I know they have been around for years and at one point I was sure I was going to have a French manicure for the wedding.

However now I'm thinking they are over done and a bit last-decade and perhaps a neutral pale pink on short shiny buffed nails woul be more classy.

My-friend-who-is-also-my-beautician and I trust her judgement completely said 'Kate Middleton is one of the most elegant women around at the moment and I can't imagine her with bright white tips - however, I still get asked for French manicure by lots of my clients, but you wouldn't catch me with one nowadays.'

So I'm interested in what type of nail varnish/shallac/bio sculpture manicure are you planning to have?

45 replies

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to have a French manicure but then a colour on top, so I can take the colour off after the wedding and have the fm for our honeymoon. Don't think they're dated at all.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

DB - I don't like french manicures; I do think that they look dated and I (like your beautician) would never have one. I keep my nails quite short and shiny, usually without a coloured polish. For my wedding I think I will go for a nude colour, and definitely, definitely not nail extensions - they make me feel a bit sick, I don't like long nails anyway, I know it is irrational as I am sure everyone with long nails keeps them in pristine condition, but the thought of any dirt that might get up them makes me feel ill!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I had a french manicure on my own nails

I've since had a french Shellac done and hated it, very very false looking but I love Shellac colours but wouldn't have had a colour on my wedding day, just wouldn't have seemed right or suited me.

I don't think something very natural and subtle could ever date or look tacky.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me too!!

I hate hate HATE dirt under nails and I think that's why I don't like to wear dark nail varnish as I can't ensure my nails are squeaky clean underneath! And I am the same with extensions, I don't like the feel of them as my nails are normally short an they feel too thick. Gives me the heeby jeebies!

What loons we are.

I almost admire ladies who can have extensions as when I've tried them previously I always just want to soak them off and buff my own nails.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

You have lovely-shaped natural nails Lyndsey!

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

Could someone post a pic of the natural look ones that people have been talking about, I have to have some kind of nail extension as I have a horrible habit of biting my nails and fingers. I just can't stop! (stress doesn't help either)

I don't want the big white nails but I do need some artificial help. Any advice on what would be best without looking tacky?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Shelley post some less-white ones on the previous page if you scroll back. They are called American manicures I believe! HTH

• IshouldCoco
    Beginner September 2012
    IshouldCoco ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

These are acrylic natural tips, is that the kind of thing you meant?

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

I'm a qualified nail technician and I did my best friends nails for her wedding day. She wanted a subtle sparkle so I did natural tip extensions with a very pale glitter acrylic overlay on the tips and a neutral (slightly cloudy) acrylic for the main part. I applied a very subtle gloss to the top so they looked more natural rather than the high-gloss stuff a lot of fake nails have.

Her wedding dress was red and white so I applied these rhinestones Smiley smile

Sorry - Just wanted to show off a little. Even though I'm qualified, it's not my full time job so I rarely have time to show off my work.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics