Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*Ducky*
Beginner July 2012

Are tiara's tacky?

*Ducky*, 9 March, 2012 at 12:15 Posted on Planning 0 35

Says the woman who just yesterday was telling someone on Hitched not to let the views of women you don't know sway your opinion!

I already have my tiara... so I obviously didn't/don't think they were tacky. This is mine:

Not even sure what my question is here?! But are tiara's tacky? Shall I just wear my veil, or get a small clip/comb instead? Or even no hair piece at all, but some stylish earrings. Oh crumbs I'm confused myself now.

35 replies

Latest activity by RebeccaC, 10 March, 2012 at 17:54
  • westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content

You fell in love with your tiara for a reason, unless you have a tiara about 4 or 5 inches tall then no tiaras are not tacky, with such an elegant undo tack will not be the word Smiley smile

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

To each her own!

I personally don't like the look of tiaras, but while I think they look tacky on me, they do seem to suit other people sometimes. Just like I find almost every wedding dress out there tacky in some way, I will admit that lots of brides look beautiful in them!

A lot of it depends on how you plan to style your hair to go with it, too, don't forget.

If you like your tiara, that's all that matters.

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content

I think some are and some aren't TBH! Yours looks nice actually as it's not OTT. I think the big ones that stick right up and look like mini crowns are tacky though (I'm thinking BFGW type here)

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

Your tiara is not tacky at all, it looks really pretty. In fact my idea of a tiara is the type that sticks up and has different heights, I really don't like those ones and yes I think they look a bit tacky. I prefer hair bands, side tiaras (I'm having one of these but i think it's more of a hair and with a side detail on it), combs and slides, much more classy.

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

Twas me DB! Let me return the favour!!! 😃 I have to say that I think a hair piece of some sorts really finishes the look particularly once your veil is off. I personally am not a fan of the tiara but I wouldn't say I think it's tacky and certainly from your top picture that a very elegant choice. I love the whole slide/comb look and definately think there is something much more understated and classy about it. I have just bought this one from etsy

http://www.etsy.com/listing/69814180/on-sale-wedding-comb-vintage-style-ivory?ref=sr_gallery_24&sref=&ga_search_query=hair+comb+vintage+style&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GB&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

and am wearing my hair in a loose curly side bun thing.

But feel free to ignore!! Ha ha!!

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Personally when I think of a tiara I imagine this sort of thing:

These type I don't really like personally. However, yours I love and I'm not sure I would class it as a tiara.

I think it fits in well with the modern elegance idea as well.

It's beautiful and you love it so wear it ?

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content

I quite like that actually OB. Classy, simple, elegant............................

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I think that's the trouble, I LOVE my tiara alone, but when I have all my hair swept up, I don't think it goes as well as I thought it would. And so I think I might love small hair combs a teensy bit more.

Mrs D that is the sort of thing I would like to go nearer ther back of my 'do. Probably one a little less uniform than that one (more messy?) - bad description.

Maybe I'll buy a small comb too, and try both with the hairdresser at my trial (which is 8 weeks before the wedding so loads of time to source something completely different if necessary).

OB - I just snorted at your picture.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan of the traditional tiaras that stick up and look like crowns...but yours is more like a side tiara that happens to go over the top of your head IYSWIM ?

OB - ?

• schiocco
    Beginner July 2012
    schiocco ·
    • Hide content

Yours looks more like a sparkly headband to me... and I love it! (also not a fan of crown-like tiaras)

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I do see what you mean. It's more a design of a side tiara or hair comb, but in the position of a traditional tiara.

I think I bought it because I liked it (duh!) but before I had mentally put together my whole outfit. And now I have my heart set one something like this:

I like pearly things if anyone had guessed!

• C
    Beginner June 2012
    Country Flower ·
    • Hide content

A nice tiara is not tacky - I would say that though as I have one. I love the side tiaras for something modern and different but getting married in Church I knew that I wanted a veil and the side tiaras all looked a bit off balance with a veil. At the end of the day it's all down to personal choice - wear what you feel comfortable in

[View:http://www.princesssparkle.co.uk/liza-designs-wedding-tiaras/288-liza-designs-crystal-wedding-tiara-fh2711.html:550:0]

That's the link to mine - hope it's not too tacky!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's gorgeous!! If you changed your mind and got that, I'm sure you could sell on the tiara you already bought, especially if you don't think it will look good with the hair style you've chosen.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Are you having a hair trial? I would take the tiara you have to the trial and see how you feel with it all together.

I don't think your tiara is at all tacky but I also really like the side comb in the picture you flashed, saying that I think your tiara would still look really nice with that hair style. Not helped much at all really have I ?

• *sweetpea*
    Beginner July 2012
    *sweetpea* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is lovely although there's something a mini bit Christmassy about it....I think it's the icy looking branch bits. ?

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Am hoping not as I have a tiara! I love mine, here's a quick piccy, while i think mine is lovely, everyone has different views on what is and what's not tacky, I also have a hair trial tomorrow so shall post a pic of my tiara of how am hoping to have my hair.

I do think it looks quite big in this pic, and the picture doesn't do it justice at all! x

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

Ooo Sarah would like to see a pic of this on, its really nice!

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Shall upload a piccy over the weekend. Here's a sneaky peak of my wedding jewellery too!

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Ducky - don't worry its lovely though have to confess the one OB posted is much much much more lovlier - think I might get one to wear next time I go to the fish market ?

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I hope not otherwise I have a lot of very tacky customers. I think it is each to there own as it is with wedding dresses and what suits one person won't suit another.

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content

I've only just seen this thread - I don't think they're tacky at all with the right dress (and right size - i.e, not gypsy wedding stylee!)

• K
    Beginner February 2014
    kyla25 ·
    • Hide content

Ducky I love ure tiara, I think it doesnt look like the usual tiara.....Im looking for exactly the same thing so please share where u got it from tee hee xxx

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I think they are a bit, but I still quite like them! (not having one though). I guess its because they are a bit princessey??

• P
    Beginner May 2012
    Peyaleed ·
    • Hide content

If you want a tiara have a tiara- personally I dont like them (haven't seen any that I could imagine wearing) and so am having fresh flowers in my hair but that's just me. It's your and you OH day have what will make you happy

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've spent all day thinking about this and looking at pictures. I think I have some to the conclusion I love my tiara, and I don't thinks it's tacky, it's a really stylish, unique tiara. But it's too much for my outfit and type of wedding. I will wear a small hair comb like my flash, my veil and some small pearl drop earrings - I think that will be just enough.

I'm going to sleep on it and have a play with my hair and veil with my Mum this weekend. And then this one could be for sale Kyla!

It was a bespoke design from that picture, made from Swarovski crystals and freshwater pearls by a lady at The Tiara Bar in case you were interested.

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a side tiara and I love it!

I think yours looks lovely! This is mine...

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

That's lovely Bittersweet. It's similar to the comb I like but on a band!

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

The photo doesnt do it justice and it blends really well into my hair too. I'm also a big fan of pearly things!

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

THats gorgeous Bittersweet, I'm having side tiaras for my grown up bridesmaids but i want a veil and can't see in my head how a veil goes with a side tiara so going to have a 'normal' one myself I think

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Im having a veil too with this hairstyle..

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

Its hard as i think alot of brides go OTT.

there are so many pretty sparkly things some think they have to have them all Smiley smile

I do like most tiaras, but not the BFGW ones.

If your having a big tiara i dont like it with big earrings and veil etc.

I am having a BIG side tiara i love it but wont wear any other jewellery, apart from some very simple earrings this is mine BTW

/products/rose-of-extravagance-side-tiara

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

That's me! I'm a magpie! But I am a magpie with taste, and so as Coco Chanel said, you must always take off one accessory before leaving the house. So that will be my tiara :-)

I definitely want my hair up. It looks so elegant. I am 99% certain I am going to have a veil at the back of my head, a small pearly hair comb and simple pearl earrings. No necklace or other jewellery. But my dress with have beaded straps so I definitely won't look bare.

I also think I need 5 different wedding days to wear all the styles of dresses and jewellery I have seen and love. There is so much choice of beautiful things, I can see why brides want to wear them ALL!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics