Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Em1982
Beginner

are you having a plain wedding band or one with diamonds in?

Em1982, 4 of January of 2011 at 22:08 Posted on Planning 0 27

I ordered ours today, ive ordered a 2mm 18carat white gold band that has tiny diamonds about half way round. my fiance ordered a plain palladium band. in a way i wanted to order bands that looked the same and i do like plain bands but thought this one looked a bit prettier. but ive just realised the one i ordered could be used as an eternity ring so if and when he gets me an eternity ring, they would look quite similar and i think would an engagement ring, plain band and diamond covered eternity ring look a bit nicer together than all diamonds and bling bling bling

27 replies

Latest activity by melissamatthew, 5 of January of 2011 at 12:19
  • S
    Beginner January 2009
    sammy_wheeler ·
    • Hide content

hubby2bes

mine

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content

I cant answer that as I LOVE bling. But my wedding ring is tiny diamonds (all we could afford)princess cut all the way around in white gold band..I think after the wedding day Im going to stop wearing the engagement ring as its a bit bulky and catches and scratchs.

Maybe for my eternity ring he could get me a band with even bigger diamond? lol

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

I originally was going to have one with diamonds but i decided it would look like an eternity ring. So i ordered a plain platinum court band.. hoping i get nice diamond eternity ring in the future!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I had a plain WR in the exact same shape of band as my ER which was half court, half D shape and I just got my eternity ring on Christmas Day so I'll happily flash

or look in here http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=188458771170015&set=a.188458357836723.58682.138437779505448#!/album.php?fbid=188458357836723&id=138437779505448&aid=58682

I had wanted a diamond WR until I tried all 3 on together before the wedding and realised that my ER should always be the focus, for me anyway, and 2 diamond bands just didn't look right. My H also wanted me to have a traditional WR which to him is plain and tbh once I tried the band I finally settled on I totally agreed with him that a plain band in the same shape set my solitaire off better. It's a personal choice though and you obviously love the one you got so I'm sure it's fab. Do you have any pictures?

x

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

My WR and ER together in their shiny forum on honeymoon. x

• Em1982
    Beginner
    Em1982 ·
    • Hide content

i do like the ring but the plain band is £100 cheaper and i would like an eternity ring one day. i will have to chat to him about it tomorrow. i dont think my plain band seems to settle alongside my ER as nicely as yours although its similar shape etc but we are on a bit of a budget with rings and there wasnt much lse for me to chose from!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I ordered my wedding ring the other day - it's a plain 3mm, white gold ring. I feel the same as Lynsey, I want my diamond to be the star of the show so I've got a plain band. My wedding ring is a court band unlike my ER so it stands out in it's own way.

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

My OH is about as romantic as a very unromantic thing, so I wasn't taking any chances!?

I have a diamond set WR, the same as my ER minus the centre stone. If, at any point in the next millenium, he gets round to buying me an Eternity ring, then I'll have a plain(ish) one - possibly the WR that I originally wanted, a plain band with studded with random diamonds (much nicer than I make it sound, honest!)

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I think mine will be plain, either platinum or palladium.

I will want need an Eternity ring in future and that will have the bling on it.

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm going to get both! Not as silly or spoilt as it sounds- I really want one with diamonds around it as my ER is very delicate, but I'm a student nurse and our NHS trust policy is no stones on rings so I wouldn't be able to wear it for work :-( So I'm going to get a cheap cheap plain one that I'll be able to wear on placement and then a nice diamond one for the other days!

Start placements next week and dreading not being able to wear my ER for most of the week for the next 19 months :-(

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE diamonds and knew I really wanted them in my wedding ring but really did not want an eternity looking ring as it just did not seem like a wedding ring to me. So I went for something like this which is a traditional wedding ring shape but with 10 diamonds in platinum (not 8 as shown here) Sorry for the mahoosive pic!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I was going to go for a plain ring (well, probably...) but then OH wanted diamonds in his, and I was keen to have them matching, so we've both got diamonds now, although they are spaced out which leaves me space for a full diamond eternity ring..... (hint to H2b)

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I was going to go for a plain platinum band, but then I saw this one - and its just lovely against the ring - and if I dont.... (er hello) get an eternity one then I have this one I like!

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for a plain 3mm palladium band as I liked it best with my engagement ring having tried on 10-15 different styles of wedding band. OH is having a 7mm palladium band too but with a satin finish.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Im having a whote gold band with a row of diamonds in the centre of it, going have way round...

for an eternity ring a lot of people 'update' their engagement ring so thats a possibilty?

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Mine is like this- I was going to go for plain but this was half price. Its thin and understated but has lovely sparkle.

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

Well at first I wanted one with diamonds, but the main stone in my ER is an emerald, so it wouldn't look quite right. Then I just wanted a plain white gold band. H2B was after something with a brushed look as he works in IT so would no doubt end up scratching his ring. In the end we got a matching set (something I would never have thought of!!) which is sort of half shiny half matt and I love it! This is the ladies one, the mens is thicker:

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

I was absolutely certain that I wanted a plain band as I love my ER so much and I didn't want to detract from it at all. However when I got round to trying rings on, the plain ones just didn't sit right. I couldn't find any plain shaped ones that fitted right, and in the end this is the one that I fell in love with:

Who'd have thought, it is full of diamonds! Mr Spoon's ring is like the one stripeyrache posted above.

I don't want an eternity ring so don't have to worry about that - I have teeny fingers so not sure I could comfortably get 3 rings on at once.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

That is a concern for me too Tina as my ER takes up half my finger - if I do have one, it will also have to be shaped around me ER so sadly won't be a suprise.

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

I originally wanted a plain one but my engagement rings shaped and when I went to try it on with the matching wedding ring I just didn't like it - - - then I tried on the diamond one - - - the rest as they say is history! Poor OH we spent more on my ring than we were planning on spending on both! - Luckily managed to claw back most of the difference by buying his ring from Goldsmiths using Tesco vouchers!

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a plain band because I think its more traditional, but also it'll look better with my ER.

OH also doesnt like the idea as one with diamonds is almost like an eternity ring which would seem right...? ?

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

I've been trying on wedding rings this morning to see what would go best, and of course the one I liked didn't go with my ring! I wanted one with stones in but it just doesn't look right so i'm going to go for a plain band. Something like this:

And I think h2b wants something like this:

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a wedding band with 3 guitarists and drummer....

(sorry couldn't resist) ;-)

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

we have melted down family heirlooms to create our plain rings, but they do not match.

I have a 2 mm plain white gold ring (so it matched engagement ring whose band is 2mm). h2b is having 6 or 7mm (can't remember) yellow gold ring (22 carat- it is a lovely rich dark gold colour). He wanted yellow gold, I wanted white (yellow would have clashed with my white gold ER).

I do like the diamond wedding rings, but I wanted something plain and simple so as not to detract from the ER. I think many of the diamond wedding rings do like like eternity rings.... yours doesn't though as the diamonds do not go all of the way around. I rather like yours it's pretty with a twist.

Have what you want!

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was my concern too! Though after seeing Lynsey's eternity ring which is lovely and slim I might just manage it after all ?

• melissamatthew
    Beginner July 2011
    melissamatthew ·
    • Hide content

I haven't posted in a while as I've been so busy with Christmas, but to I thought I'd add that we've gone for something a bit different as it suits my H2B's Irish heritage.

I have given him a claddagh ring (you can google it) as an engagement ring and later, wedding ring (it can be used as both - you wear it on your right hand as an engagement ring, and left hand as a wedding ring), and we are currently looking at Claddagh bands for me:

You can browse more here: http://applesofgold.com/Claddagh-W.html

Happy hunting!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics