Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Knownowt

Atkins- can anyone explain?

Knownowt, 21 of August of 2009 at 22:25 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 5

I've always loved the idea of the Atkins diet- I love meat, cream, butter etc but can take or leave carbs. I've never tried it though as I don;t really believe in it- I think that people lose weight because they cut what they're eating (eg steak and salad not steak, chips and salad) and because many fats need carbs to go with them (who eats butter without bread/potatoes etc?) rather than through any magic of a protein-only diet, and as such it's a bad diet for me as I could eat ten steaks happily and so would probably be the only person in the world to gain weight on the Atkins ?

Anyway, does anyone have any experience? Is the Atkins diet likely to work for someone who loves Atkinsy food and could eat it all day long?

(I'm off on holiday early tomorrow so may not reply for a week, but I will definitely read and reply on my return x)

5 replies

Latest activity by Gryfon, 11 of September of 2009 at 22:07
  • RubyBlue
    Beginner May 2008
    RubyBlue ·
    • Hide content

I have done it on a few occasions KN,, and whilst it 'worked', I do think it is partly to do with what you say. It sort of makes you lose your appetite and I often find that I have to force myself to eat something because it gets a little dull. My rational self tells me it can't be great to fully exclude one whole food group and eat tons of fat, so I do a sort of milder version if I need to lose a bit of weight. I have a book called the New High Protein Diet which is pretty good x

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Whilst it may work (and I suspect this is for the reasons you mention), I'm 100% certain it's not a healthy or sustainable way of doing things, and I hate to think of what it does to your cholesterol and your coronaries ?

Increasing protein does work, and lots of people find it the key to sucessful WL, but I wouldn't ever try Atkins or advise anyone else to tbh.

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I lost about a stone on Atkins before my wedding. I found it really good actually. The only protein-only meal I'd eat was breakfast; then I'd have chicken and loads of salad for lunch and a protein and veg dinner - I got quite good at making low-carb versions of things like moussaka, shepherds' pie etc. You can also eat fruit - berries, melon etc.

I don't cook with loads of butter and cream anyway, and I didn't then.

It's not the devil's diet, I don't think. If you're sensible about it it can be quite a healthy way to eat. But I do think you're better off adopting the underlying principles that make it work - eating lots of green leafy veg, managing your blood sugar by cutting carbs, not having puddings and so on, than saying: "I'm doing Atkins".

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Fairy nuff Soph. I guess like any 'diet' it's how you do it that matters. I sometimes cringe telling people I follow the WW principles - not because I'm ashamed of it, but because the stereotype seems to be folk living on Muller lights, meringues and packets of wotsits. Whilst I have been known to eat all of those things at one time or another, they bear no resemblence to my normal daily intake. I'm guessing it's the same for Atkins. I think from KNs post she was rather hoping to live on steak and cheese though ? (I apologise if I've misrepresented you KN).

• JennyXoXo
    Beginner November 2010
    JennyXoXo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly. LIke with any diet, you can just be a lazy bum and expect to lose weight. Ya gotta get out there and exercise. Anyways, I've been on the atkins and I love it. I eat foods like peanut butter or caviar all day long Smiley laugh

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

I've done it before and what I did find was that your appetite diminishes so you don't actually want to eat loads! I also ended up eating a lot more veg than I did before which is a good thing.

I think it seems really scary but it's not that bad if you actually write down what you're eating. Especially as you're cutting out chocolate, cakes, biscuits etc which are my big downfall.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics