Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

budgetbabe
Beginner July 2010

Ayrshire/Glasgow Budget Wedding - HELP!!!

budgetbabe, 2 September, 2009 at 10:57 Posted on Planning 0 8

My H2B and i were planning a big wedding before the credit crunch hit. Now the carpet has been pulled out from under our feet but since our little boy starts school next year we really want to still get married before then.

The problem is he has a massive family and i have a tiny one(!)

The absolute minimum we can get the day numbers down to is 40 and at average £40 - £60 a head for a reception meal its still way more than we can justify spending. Our eveing guests would be about 100.

We have an idea that we would like to get married late afternoon/early evening - cut out the meal altogether and have a big buffet in the evening for everyone. Does anyone know anywhere we could do this other than a dusty old town hall? most places seem to only offer their own catering (at a hefty price for shoddy food).

I like the look of the winter gardens but have no clue how much it costs etc as the woman has never got back to me!!

Any ideas welcome!

8 replies

Latest activity by debbydoo, 7 September, 2009 at 22:24
  • ebee
    Beginner January 2008
    ebee ·
    • Hide content

Oran Mor?

The Recital Room at the Old Fruitmarket is gorgeous

Cottier's in Hyndland

The Winter gardens is lovely and not too expensive i don't think... my brother got married there ?

shout if you need recs for cheaper photographers as I've worked with a few on my travels... it's also worth trying a few of the hotels to see if they'll offer a smaller package

just rememebered Pollok house is nice too, and Pollocksheilds burgh hall ?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I can't help but just wanted to say hi and welcome - I'm an Ayrshire Bride. Hope to be able to help you with other planning questions you might have!!!!

• Braw Wee Chanter
    Braw Wee Chanter ·
    • Hide content

Pollock House and Pollockshiels are great.

Oran Mor costs an absolute fortune (H works there)

Recital Room at the Old Fruitmarket is fab.

Glasgow University have several beautiful venues including Bute(Barony) Hall. I've worked in a number of them and they're stunning.

https://www.gla.ac.uk/events/conferencesandevents/weddingreceptions/weddingreceptionvenues/

Not all town halls need to be odd and dusty though. Hamilton Town hall is one of my favourite venues. Fab room, cheap as chips. There's a great place in the Bridge Of Weir too, can't for the life of me remember what it's called but I'll try and find out.

x

• budgetbabe
    Beginner July 2010
    budgetbabe ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Everyone!

These are great ideas! Im going to look into the ones that are more city centre bassed - we are both from Saltcoats in North Ayrshire and so are a lot of our guests so want to make it as easy as possible for people to get to!!

Keep the ideas comin!!

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, couple of slightly different ideas for you that we considered when looking at venues. First, if you want a proper statement venue there are a fair few companies will rent you a castle or manor house as a self catering holiday let, normally at a rate of between 2-5k a week. If you're flexible about when you get married (i.e. you don't want peak wedding season, Christmas or New Year) they might be willing to negotiate about shorter term lets - either one or two nights. That way you get your wedding night accommodation (just buy in loads of bacon, eggs sausages etc and do a massive big breakfast in the morning!) and you can basically have a great big house party with buffet catering in. Obviously you'd need the wedding to be in a near by church or registry office cos none of the places will be licenced. A quick google showed up this lot:

http://www.scottscastles.com/scotland/southern-and-borders/historic-medieval-castle-13.html

but I'm sure there are more out there.

Alternatively if you want to go down the hotel route you mentioned that places all seem to want to do their own catering. A good tip is when contacting a possible venue DON'T tell them it's for a wedding because they will automatically start listing their set packages. Just tell them that you want to host a family celebration and that you were thinking of having guests arrive about 5-ish and getting a buffet or hog roast sorted out. If they're not stuck in a "wedding" mindset they might be more willing to discuss options with you. In these credit crunched times most hotels will be happy to get any sort of function booking out of you I should imagine and you might be able to get a few deals if you bargain hard with them.

Or for a more traditional style of thing, Paisley town hall has lovely rooms for hire and explicitly state on the website that they will welcome the caterers of your choice. Not sure about the cost but if you phone them I'm sure they'll be happy to discuss. (Just suggesting Paisley cos it's easy to get to from Saltcoats!)

• Ms Nic
    Beginner May 2010
    Ms Nic ·
    • Hide content

I know Im late into this thread...

We're getting married @

• sparkle_kez
    Beginner January 2012
    sparkle_kez ·
    • Hide content

Bit late to this...

We got married at 4pm, cut out the meal and had an evening buffet. Got married at Glasgow uni chapel then reception was at the piping centre in the city centre. We paid for room hire and the food and it was much cheaper than doing a meal.

• M
    Beginner July 2010
    mrslowndes2b ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Also abit late to this thread but didnt want to read and run....

If you do want to go down the hotel route also check out the offers they have at the moment me and my h2b r getting married at a Ramada in Bewdley, Worcestershire and is a really good deal its not a typical hotel, its so beautiful its set in 22 acres of land and got a deal of 3k for a sit down 3 course meal for 60 and a evening buffet for 80 although we will be increasing it to about 120 for the evening.

I think during these credit crunch time try neg with suppliers as they are prob feeling the pinch 2!! Also Ive ebayed everything in our house that doesnt move (the cat just about got away) and in my profession I can also do some freelance work, anything to get a few more pennies for the big day!!

Hope that has helped

Claire

• debbydoo
    Beginner May 2009
    debbydoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We got married and had our reception at the piping centre. just before our wedding, they introduced a 'credit crunch' package which I think includes flowers, band/dj, food obviously and some other things for a fixed price. I can't remember full details but the package is advertised on their website.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics