Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Charlotte
Dedicated July 2022 Durham

Bag or not bag?

Charlotte, 17 of June of 2022 at 11:47 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 16
I get married mid July, and I still can't decide on if I want or even need a bag.
Who usually carries the brides bag? Does the bride even take a bag?
I'm getting confused because traditionally the certificate was given to the bride, right? Now you get via email or something which doesn't bother me, but the bride would have to have had a bag yes? If I don't take a bag, where will my lil makeup pieces go? I know alot of people allow the maid of honor take that responsibility, but she'll have her bouquet, bag, two girls under 7 and then my bag. My other bridesmaid has two girls also, 8 and 3. My mum says I don't need a bag. ? Help lol

16 replies

Latest activity by Snus, 14 of November of 2023 at 11:56
  • Haz
    Dedicated September 2022 Staffordshire
    Haz ·
    • Hide content
    I'm having a bag to carry all my bits and pieces but I expect to hand it to someone for the photos and it will probably sit on the table for most of the reception.

If you want a bag then you can have one, if not then I'm sure someone else can take care of the certificate. You could always leave a bag with your makeup at the reception venue.
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married in July too and I’ve decided to get a bag as I want somewhere for my phone, tissues and lippy. My MOH will also have to look after her three kids who are BMs and a page boy and my other BMs are 12 and 14! So that made my decision for me as there isn’t really anyone to look after my stuff. After the recent hot weather I’m also looking for a vintage fan!
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You don’t get a physical certificate these days- it’s all email which is a bit of a shame to be honest!
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    You’re actually getting married the same day as us!
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. Definitely after something just small, I might leave it at the reception like you suggested Haz, I didn't really think of that.
    Really disappointing about the certificates mind, my friend told me early this year, I think it just adds extra stress as she had to go and pick theirs up a few days later. She wasn't best pleased as they honeymooned not long after wedding. I'm sure she actually flew out the same day she had to collect their certificate.
    But yes will definitely need a fan too hahahah xxx is it you that is having the 50s style wedding?
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw really?! Haha
  • Haz
    Dedicated September 2022 Staffordshire
    Haz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ha ha, well that's one less think to worry about I suppose. I've hadn't been to a wedding in years, before we recently went to a friend's wedding in a cathedral, where the best man was waving a certificate around. I suppose that might have been a ceremonial one rather than the legal one, or it might be different for church weddings.
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Haha there's that many different certificates and guidelines for different weddings I'm so confused. Some of the posts that people put on, especially about the mother in law situations I read and I go to reply but it's exhausting reading what's happening. I don't know how they manage, I definitely lucky that way xx
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning on having a "Bride Box" in the venue's bathroom where I'll have lipstick, hairbrush, hairspray, dry shampoo, tissues... and anything else I think of!

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Aw good idea!!!
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Hi hun etsy do wedding bathroom boxes they have different styles x💗
  • Charlotte
    Dedicated September 2023 Lincolnshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    I won’t be having a bag because I’m hoping my MOH will carry my lipstick phone etc in her bag or my mum will but none of my bridesmaids have children so it’s a little easier for them. There are some lovely bridal clutches out there though so if you’ve got an excuse to have one then go for it! 🤩🤍
  • Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think I'll have a look. If not I'll just drop it in with my moh lol xx thanks for the advice everyone xx
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    I’m also questioning this! Me and my fiancé are eloping by ourselves but I want a bag still for my bits and pieces, I just won’t have anyone to hold it during the ceremony or photos so I’m unsure what to do!
  • S
    Savvy June 2022 Greater Manchester
    snowshine123 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I gave my commemorative certificate to my Dad just before I walked back down the aisle at the end of the ceremony. Then he just minded it for me. It was eventually passed to one of my siblings who kept it in their room overnight as my Dad wasn't staying over. My sibling was staying over at the hotel where we got married, so I got the certificate from her the following day.

I didn't have a bag (and I'm such a bag person), so it was odd not having my phone with me. I gave my phone to my husband, as we were generally together and then at least I knew he would have it on wedding night. My mum had my lipstick, but to be honest I completely forgot to top it up so never asked her for it. I only topped up with a different lipstick when I changed into my evening dress.

Just check with your local council where you got married, but I had to order my marriage certificate online. I thought the registrar said it'll be in the post to me so there's me waiting for it for 2 weeks before I chased up. I also had to pay for my marriage certificate but I think this varies between each council.

• Charlotte
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Thanks everyone xx think I've decided not to bother with the bag. My sister in law took one but never used what was in it haha she says it was just a hassle 😅

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics