Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner April 2023 Aberdeen & Deeside

Bespoke wedding dress nightmare

Lisa, 4 of March of 2023 at 23:16 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 3
It’s a bit of a long post I apologise but I have no idea what to do and I get married in 5 weeks! I went to a bridal shop almost a year ago I had an idea of what I wanted and found a dress which was almost perfect. The shop do fully customisable bespoke dresses to your exact measurements. I picked the dress with the full lace top she pinned it in to show me but I didn’t like the neckline. I asked for the lace top to be removed, for it to just have the bodice and for the sleeves to come from there so she found another dress with that style of bodice but without the lace, pinned some sleeves to it to show how it would look and I loved it. Added some pearls down the back and a few other bits and made it my own.

It arrived in January and seeing it hung up I was in awe, it was perfect I tried it on and it just didn’t fit. It’s like the whole top half is too high up, the waist is on my ribs rather than my waist and it was 3” too big across that bit, I know from my own clothes I haven’t changed shape perhaps a little heavier if anything with it being just after Christmas but across the top it’s as though there’s a tight band pushing the top of my chest down it was really uncomfortable. You can see the dint on the photos where it’s digging in. She point blank said the waist can’t be lowered and it’d look different once it was taken in, I left really dejected I’ve paid £2,000 for a made to measure dress that isn’t what I ordered and doesn’t fit. I rang back when I got home, I was so upset and she was like come back we will sort it so I did. Said they would add stiffer boning and cups and it would be fine then booked me in to come back in 2 weeks then cancelled that so today was booked in originally to have been my final fitting but it’s worse than my first. It’s still too tight across the top of my cleavage and adding the padding makes it worse as I’m being squeezed from below and above now to the point it’s painful. I mentioned the whole tops the wrong shaped neckline too. She was going to let it out at the side but due to the way the sleeves are joined I explained how this wouldn’t work. She agreed and unpicked the sleeves and it’s still fitting wrong. Not sure if it’s the darts or cut but it doesn’t sit like it should. They’ll move the belt down an inch and try to hide the waist seam but then I’ve got layers of fabric where I want to be cinched in. I’ve got an hour glass figure which I wanted to show off and it’s giving me no shape and I actually cried during my appointment when trying it on. I’ve been told to come back in 2 weeks but That leaves me 3 weeks then if it’s not right I don’t know what I will do 😞 Bespoke wedding dress nightmare 1Bespoke wedding dress nightmare 2

3 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 6 of March of 2023 at 20:54
  • S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

That sounds so stressful - I’m so sorry that’s happening! I can’t understand how they’ve constructed the dress so badly!

On the plus side, at least the shop is taking responsibility and trying to sort it out.

In terms of what you can do, I’d strongly suggest that you take someone with you to the next fitting, because if it’s still not right, you need someone there who can take on the ‘what are they going to do about it’ conversation. If you have a member of your bridal party who is capable of having tough conversations and backing your corner, they are the person you need in the room.

While 3 weeks isn’t long, it is time for them to still make changes even if it is a tight turnaround. Find out if they’re outsourcing the alterations or doing them themselves. If they do them themselves, they need to make your dress a priority and if that means you’re going in every day to check on progress, do it (or threaten to - I understand you probably can’t actually go in every day). If they’re outsourcing it, maybe see if there is another seamstress who can look at it - I don’t know how easy it is to find wedding dress alterers, but maybe have a research in your area and see if someone can come in and look at it to give a second opinion.

The last resort I suppose is to start looking for a backup dress - I know it would break my heart to have to do that, so I can understand you don’t want to either, but it might help to know that as an absolute final resort there is something else waiting for you.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think this is awful the amount you have paid and it's still not what you wanted I agree with what Sarah said if it's not sorted in time I know that's not how you want to go but it's the only option if they don't sort it and see if they will give you your money back the only option to get you a dress quick would be wed2be sorry about this happening x♥️
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I really hope you get it sorted, and I agree with PPs advice that you need to keep going in to check on progress.

For your own peace of mind, I would also suggest buying a cheap backup dress - if you mail order one now, you should still be able to return it if the original dress does work out after all. At least then you won't be faced with having no dress at all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics