Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flowmojo
Beginner

'Blue and Green should never be seen....'

Flowmojo, 19 April, 2012 at 09:35 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 37

..'unless theres somethig inbetween'

Have you heard this? Do you follow it?

What supersticions/myths do you believe / take note of?

Subconciously, i dont walk under ladders or walk over three drains, thats a given right?!

37 replies

Latest activity by Mrs Whippy, 21 April, 2012 at 10:58
  • Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

When I'm being sensible and logical, none of them. But subconsciously I do get a little anxious if I see a lone magpie!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I'm not supersticious in the slightest. Load of old nonsense!

Oh, and I like blue and green.

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

I dont go out of my way to avoid things i must admit. Probably makes me non-superstitious.

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

I've heard the blue and green one but I don't realy follow it. I think they only thing I do is salute a magpie if I see a single one - the same friend who told me the blue and green thing told me this and I've never been able to shake it!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I'm not at all but my mum is. She won't cross on the stairs or put new shoes on the table.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

I'm a bit funny about magpies and have to greet them properly.

Also I pick up lone pennies (See a penny, pick it up, all the day you'll have good luck). It just makes me look mean though!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Ah the magpie thing i do too!! Mr F thinks in nuts when i salute a single one and say 'hello Mr Magpie!'!!

• far2calm
    Beginner May 2012
    far2calm ·
    • Hide content

Certain things yes, the ladder and shoes on table being the ones I'm strict with. My cousin is getting married on Friday 13th!!! Now I'm not mega supersitous, but theres no way I'd get married then...

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I don't think the "blue and green" thing is a superstition, more just advice about using those colours together and the need for a third colour to complement them (for clothes, houses, etc).

I am not remotely superstitious. Magpies, blah blah - how anyone thinks that magpies or black cats can affect your day is beyond me Smiley smile I don't walk under ladders unnecessarily though, surely that's just a safety issue?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I don't walk under ladders - I figure if I do I'm far more likely to encounter soapy water or paint being dropped on me.

I'm quite particular about colours - this is only because I don't like some colour combinations as I think they look naff.

I grew up with the penny and magpie things, but these are more habit than superstition. I also avoid three drains as I once sprained my ankle when part of the cover on a third drain gave way. This was years ago but they still make me wary, pesky drains!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

i see the confusion!! I was always told that it was bad luck to wear them!!!!!

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I avoid three drains as well.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What's the "three drains" thing? Don't tread on drains? I don't normally tread on them anyway (if avoidable).

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well drain/electrical/gas etc covers. I don't know how it started but me and my oldest friend didn't walk on them from a young age and I still don't. It's more out of habit now.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I never walk over 3 drains. It's the only thing I do. I think it's more habit than superstition though.

Also, the whole rabbit tail thing being lucky? It obviously wasn't lucky for the rabbit...

• LittleMissP
    Beginner September 2012
    LittleMissP ·
    • Hide content

I also do this too, thinking because i haven't stepped on all 3 so should be fine! I started avioding stepping on 3 drains at school because of a friend and now OH won't step on them either. We also pick up pennys if we see them on the floor, but because of my OH's dad has bad health and can't pick up the penny's when he's out with us. My OH picks them up and says 'See a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck, pass it to a friend and your luck will never end' quite sweet of him!

I also say 'hello Mr Magpie where's your wife' when i see a magpie and won't put new shoes on the table. My OH and his dad are quite superstitches, so if the OH drops a knife on the floor he can't pick it up as he dropped it so i have to pick it up. Every New Years Eve his dad reminds us that we can't wash our clothes on New Year's day as it'll wash your luck away for the New Year!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

I don't put shoes on the table, new or otherwise. Why would you?! Shoes are for the ground!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never heard that but I have heard "Red and Green should never be seen except upon a fool"

• D
    Beginner
    Drews ·
    • Hide content

Not overly supersticious...but really don't like magpies! we have a stream and wooded land behind our garden so see them all the time...grr! If I am alone I do mutter a quiet salute to a single one...if oh or the kids are with me I make them look too as " one magpie seen by two, brngs good luck to both of you" hmm!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My mum won't put a carrier bag containing a box of new shoes on the table after coming in shopping!

• M
    Beginner July 2013
    MissMeaghan ·
    • Hide content

OH and I were in the car the other day, a black cat crossed the road in front of the car and OH actually reversed turned round and took a different route! I never knew he was that supersticious haha ?

• Hunry
    Beginner May 2012
    Hunry ·
    • Hide content

I def. wouldn't walk under a ladder, and I won't open an umbrella inside...that's a big no no and I don't know why! When I was working in Korea, I found out in Asia it is bad luck to write someones name in red, as it means they will die very soon.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I do the 3 drains thing, and if anyone does, they have to run across the street and back to counteract it....now i avoid them out of habit.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I thought it went "Blue and green should never be seen, except for on a fairy queen" Thats what my Mum/our strange lot have always said.

I always salute magpies. No shoes on the table, H got told off for this only yesterday as he bought new trainers and came in and put the box on the dining table! Grr. I've heard of the 3 grids thing, also dont walk on pave,ment cracks but I dont follow that its impossible. Theres "never split a lamp post or you will split a friendship" so, if you are walking in a pair and you approach a lamp post and one walks either side of it thats supposed to be bad luck too.

I would never walk under a ladder as its just bad sense, what if it collapsed??!

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

this?! and mainly because its christmassy!

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Never heard of the blue and green thing but I don't cross on stairs, walk under ladders, walk over 3 drains, put new shoes on the table and throw spilt salt over my shoulder. *Is very superstitious*

• BlueBow
    Beginner December 2013
    BlueBow ·
    • Hide content

I've heard of red and green should never be seen, except on Christmas day...

My house is all blue and green- oops!!

Im not superstitious but my mum is massively. It becomes quite tiring having to remember everything you're not to do!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its worse when you are on a train. On your own.

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

Saluting magpies - check (really annoying cos they seem to live on a roundabout I go round every morning on the way to work & they are never in pairs!!?)

Salt over the LEFT shoulder - check

Never put new shoes on the table (or desk at work) even if in box & bag - check

Avoid triple drain covers - check

Don't walk under ladders - check

Never cross on stairs - check

Never turn round on stairs - check

Never open umbrella in doors - check although OK as long as you don't go underneath it

Never pick up my own glove if I drop it - check (quite difficult if on own so paranoid I'll drop one)

Put a penny in a bag or purse if given as a gift - check

Tie a ribbon round scissors if given as a gift - check

Sure there's more!

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know about the new shoes on table one until a couple of years ago when my SIL shouted at me when I did it. Hasn't stopped me doing it since though.

Other than that the only other one I go by is not walking under ladders if I can avoid it, but that's only to do with thinking about who is at the top and could they drop something or if it was unstable and might collapse.

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mini - try have a subtle scratch of your forehead with your finger, so to the outsider you are relieving yourself of an itch, but you know really that it's a salute!

The blue and green thing is ACTUALLY yellow and green It makes me feel a bit queasy to see these colours together

As for the crossing on the stairs thing - a girl I work with had been trying for a baby for a long time with her husband - they had failed fertility treatments and everything. She was ginger too (this will make sense in a minute).

Anyhoo, I was coming down the stairs and she was at the bottom, so let me come down. As I passed her I said "oh good, no ginger twins for us" (apparently if you cross on the stairs it means you'll have ginger twins). She replied with "any baby would do me". ?????????????????

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics