Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Consuela Banana Hammock

Body MOT at the gym - anyone had one? Updated!

Consuela Banana Hammock, 25 of February of 2009 at 10:34 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 8

I've booked in to have a "Body MOT" at my gym on Saturday. It's basically a battery of tests such as blood pressure, cholesterol, weight, BMI, body fat mass, % body fat etc. I go to the gym on average 5 times a week at the moment and I know I'm making progress - I've lost 6.5lbs since the beginning of the year, I can work with higher weights, I'm on higher levels on the cardio equipment and my recovery times are improving. But I'm a bit worried about the actual hard statistics particularly the % body fat one and where that places me on the scale - you know, average or poor.

Has anybody else had this done? And any idea why I'm not allowed to drink caffeine in the two hours beforehand?

So my MOT was this morning and I was pleasantly surprised/shocked at some of the results. My % of fat is higher than I'd like but then I always knew that I needed to work on that and my weight was a LOT higher than I thought but taken in context with the amount of lean tissue that I have and my actual physical measurements (which make me a size 10!) then it's all in context. Cholesterol was low.

The biggest surprise was being told that my metabolic age is 34 ..... fabulous when my chronological age turns 40 next month!! ?

8 replies

Latest activity by Flossie Mac, 27 of February of 2009 at 09:00
  • SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, but I'm sure the caffeine thing is just because it increases your heartrate.

• Flossie Mac
    Flossie Mac ·
    • Hide content

No (which doesn't help you at all does it?!) but I'd be interested to find out what you think of it? It's not a Nuffield Wellness centre is it (formerly Cannons?). My gym recently changed to this and they were promoting a similar thing to what you are going for, I haven't been as I'm too much of a chicken with regards body fat etc.

Hope it goes ok, I'm sure it will. I agree with Sophie about the caffeine thing too.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

Flossie - it's Greens Gym in Birmingham.

I think both you and Soph are right about the heartrate thing. Decaffeinated coffee for breakfast on Saturday then! ?

• D
    Beginner August 2003
    Dot. ·
    • Hide content

I've had this done. Make sure you are really hydrated as being dehydrated affects the body fat results.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Really? I was hoping not to drink too much or it would affect my weight! ? I'll check this out with my Personal Trainer who I've got a session with later on this afternoon.

Will report back on how I get on with the MOT on Saturday once it's done.

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Body fat measurements are notoriously unreliable unless you establish a daily baseline for at least a month. Slight differences in hydration and food consumed can make a difference. Even then, the measurements can be + or - up to 3%, which can be quite a difference on slimmer people. If you are desperate to know, buy a reputable bit of kit made by someone like Tanita.

• Hide content

Thanks for that Baron - will try not to take the readings too seriously but just use them as an indicator of how my health is in general. Will have another MOT at the end of the year and do a comparison. I already weigh myself once a month (only!) and have taken all my measurements and remeasure every three months so I try not to get too hung up on figures.

• M
    Beginner July 2007
    Mrs Sparklycat ·
    • Hide content

Hello CBH,

I have had a body MOT at our local gym (Nuffield) which we get included in our membership, I found it really interesting and inspiring. They measured, height, weight, BMI, cardio fitness, cholesterol, fluid intake etc etc but no body fat which I was pleased with as I find that on the body fat scales that I have at home and at the gym really high and have been told not to trust them but again that is just my experience.

Good Luck

Edited to add - The lady above (sorry I cannot see your name as I have edited) who also goes to Nuffield Gym - They didn't do my body fat, you should go, they give you a full report and arrange for you to come back in 12 months to compare so definetley worth it for an hour!

• Flossie Mac
    Flossie Mac ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was me. Thanks, I'm back in the gym tomorrow morning after nearly 2 months off (doctors orders not just me slacking!) so I might see if they are still offering this.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics