Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bettylu88
Beginner November 2014

Brides with Military OH's

bettylu88, 6 of January of 2014 at 15:30 Posted on Planning 0 14

Having a panicky moment. Booking our venue soon, terrified we will have to cancel due to deployment or something.

Anyone in same boat as me or with some 'pull yourself together girl' advice?!

xx

14 replies

Latest activity by bettylu88, 8 of January of 2014 at 21:13
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I'm not in that situation but thought I'd suggest wedding insurance. Obviously you'll need to look into the fine print but I'm sure there are policies that would cover you for that.

• M
    Beginner June 2015
    MeV ·
    • Hide content

My oh is military too, hadn't thought about the possibility (but would probably be just my luck!)

Surely wedding insurance would cover?

However, I'm sure we have nothing to worry about (fingers crossed?!)

• Mrs Rowan to be
    Beginner March 2015
    Mrs Rowan to be ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I am in the same boat as you and dont worry no need to panic. Most wedding insurance covers for deloyment in the armed forces. So for peace of mind get some - John Lewis and Debenhams are good about £70 i think. Might not be needed but worth paying the £70 just incase.

I should practice what i preach as i havent sorted this out yet either, we are not getting married until March 2015 and we found out just before xmas that OH has got to go to the Falklands for 4 months - Luckily this is for June this year and will be back October. However you know what the forces are like so dates can change. Must get it sorted this week!! Smiley smile

As mentioned about the two names i have said definitely cover for this as i checked the small print

xx

• Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

I don't have a OH in military, but mine had leukaemia, so a lot of companies won't cover him.

We went with Dreamsavers and I know they cover military staff. For an £8k priced wedding I paid £37.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Just another thought for you too, make sure that he is in the country at least 3 weeks prior to your wedding date. We've had to split ours in to separate years as I didn't know that he had to be in the country prior to the date. Our plan was to have a legal ceremony on a Friday and Blessing on a Saturday but as we didn't know if he would be home in time to do both we had our legal ceremony last year, it's a nightmare but do-able with a little tweaking.

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

I have a Military OH too (RAF) and the worries of last minute deployment are all too real!! My OH has recently changed jobs and after a four month tour every 12 months he's now not going on tour until his number comes up, unfortunately we have no idea when that'll be!! We're looking at insurance but at the moment the promotion board is about to sit so our address is more than likely going to change before the wedding, voiding our insurance. You're not on your own in this rocky boat!!

Debbi

x

• bettylu88
    Beginner November 2014
    bettylu88 ·
    • Hide content

Hey ladies, thanks for the replies. Hard to find people who understand! Will definitely get insurance. My OH is on 24 hour deployment notice, could come at any time or not at all. No body knows. The worry of having to cancel everything a day before is making me a wreck. (as if us army girls don't have enough to deal with!) .

Mrs Rowan To Be - Gren Guards by any chance?

Are any of you getting MQ after the big day? xxx

• Mrs Rowan to be
    Beginner March 2015
    Mrs Rowan to be ·
    • Hide content

Damn, just typed an email to you and it didnt save! got to try and remember what i put now!

People do try and understand dont they but they will never truly understand how it feels. Its always the unknown and not knowing whats happening from one day to the next.

No OH is an RAF Armourer.

Think the insurance is definitely they way forward - will at least give you a peace of mind. I have decided to go with Debenhams and i will be sorting it out this week. Thanks to your message it reminded me i still have this to do! Make sure you read the small print and ensure that it covers you for what you need.

When and where are you getting married?

x

• bettylu88
    Beginner November 2014
    bettylu88 ·
    • Hide content

Ah , just wondered cos I know there's a few units going to Falklands this year Smiley atonished

Yeh exactly, try to take each day as it comes but it's difficult - especially after xmas leave. Will you be getting MQ?

Thanks for the heads up with Debenhams, I will contact them and ask.

Planning on November this year, going to visit our fave venue on saturday and all being well, book it.

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

We'll be on MQs after the day but where they'll be is a mystery at the moment. Just wondering which area of the UK you're based and which service your OH is?

Debbi xx

• Mrs Rowan to be
    Beginner March 2015
    Mrs Rowan to be ·
    • Hide content

No we live close enough to camp that we dont need MQ. Will you?

Fingers crossed it all works out well for you.

• bettylu88
    Beginner November 2014
    bettylu88 ·
    • Hide content

He's in Army (boo) based in Colchester, our flat is in London where I am working mon-fri and he's home at weekends when he's not off in a field on some pointless exercise. MQ will be in Colly which is ok but will have to give up my job.. huff. *career girl face*

• H
    Beginner July 2013
    HAG13 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack in a fashion but you ladies may have the answer to my insurance question too! OH is on VHR for the next 12mths but has provisional leave which can go tips up at anytime - whilst we're on the topic of insurance, can any of you help with holiday insurance for circumstances like this?? For our wedding we used E&L, provided good cover but never needed it. If your having ceremonial swords, you'll need cover for this too btw

• bettylu88
    Beginner November 2014
    bettylu88 ·
    • Hide content

Forces Financial do good holiday insurance Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics