Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner March 2012

bridesmaid annoying me. wwyd?

mrs a to be, 11 September, 2011 at 19:59 Posted on Planning 0 13

I have 3 bm's. my sister, best friend and oh's sister (shes the youngest but 18 so not a baby!!)

shes really starting to irritate me and not sure if i should say anything as i dont want to start a family arguement!

shes not interested in the wedding, shes put weight on so cant get in her dress and doesnt seem to care, she wont get involved in hen do planning, said she was busy when we all got together but it was on facebook that she was with her boyfriend, when i text her she ignores me. i'm fed up because if it was me, id be honoured to be a BM and would be wanting to help with everything

13 replies

Latest activity by ebony_rose, 11 September, 2011 at 21:46
  • lil_kel
    Beginner September 2013
    lil_kel ·
    • Hide content

If i were you i'd sack her!

I've sacked my DF's sister (who is 27 so definatly no baby!) as she turned out to be a back stabbing b***h and gave the job to someone who is really thrilled to be doing it!

I'd get shot of her but thats just my oppinion x

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

As everyone says you can't expect everyone to be into the wedding as much as we are.. HOWEVER LOL!! I would be a bit miffed.. but thinking about it i don't expect my girls to do anything expect turn up on the day to be pampered!! I don't care if there not interested in org my hen do.. i'd be happy to have the control :-)!

But on the weight issue i would be miffed if they were like o'well.. yes its fine providing the dress can be taken out?? can you take the dress back and swap for a larger size??

Get OH to talk to her and see what shes says possibly??

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Personally I wouldn't stress about it. Is it the end of the world if she's not clambering to be involved in everything? Yes her lack of interest might be a bit annoying but with so many other things to be thinking about I'd forget about it, stick her in a dress on the day and keep your OH's family happy.

• M
    Beginner March 2012
    mrs a to be ·
    • Hide content

The dress cannot be take out i dont think and the shop i got them from has closed down now so no chance of another one apprearing as they are over a year old anyway!

i dont no if im being over sensitive and expecting everyone to be happy about my wedding but she should be honoured - in my opinion anyway!

• Mrs P 2 B
    Beginner January 2012
    Mrs P 2 B ·
    • Hide content

LOL I love that.. She should be honoured.. as a bride i totally agree... however as an 18yr old i was more interest in going out that my bro's wedding!!

Well sorry but if she dont fit in the dress and you can't get it anymore then shes sacked lol!! When is the big day??

• M
    Beginner March 2012
    mrs a to be ·
    • Hide content

Not until march! x

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not going to try and excuse her behaviour cos it does sound terrible, but I have to say I've been a bridesmaid before, and it wasn't until I started planning my own wedding that I realised how exciting it is. I'm definitely finding that my bridesmaids who are married are much more excited about planning my wedding than my bridesmaids who aren't.

• xxgossipgurl
    Beginner September 2012
    xxgossipgurl ·
    • Hide content

Hmmm she is definatley no baby at 18, but when I think back to when I was 18 I can't imagine myself helping plan a wedding or hen night I would have no clue what to do! If you and your other bridesmaids are older as well maybe she thinks she has nothing to bring to the table maybe?

Deffo the dress issue needs to be tackled! I know it would be extremely awkward but if she can't fit in the dress on the day... well, she couldn't really be your bridesmaid could she so maybe this needs to be pointed out to her! Tactfully of course!

Good luck!

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Does she actually realise that you want her to help with stuff? One of my BMs is 18, and when I said the other day that she would have little jobs to do on the day and beforehand, she was like 'whaaaat??'. Literally no idea! And to be fair, why would she? I had absolutely no idea how much work goes into weddings before we started planning our own.

Re the weight gain though, I do think its a little insensitive for you to get annoyed with her about it (sorry). I'm sure she wouldn't be happy about it herself, and maybe is feeling really insecure about it which won't be helped by people pointing it out. And if she is feeling like this then its possibly another reason why she is reluctant to get involved. How long is it til your wedding?

I would just have a lovely girly day with her (with no wedding talk) and just have a bit of fun together!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a bit mean to have a go about gaining weight. She's 18 and therefore technically still growing.

If I'd put on weight and couldn't fit into a dress then I'd be mortified and highly embarassed

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

Think I pretty much agree with this. 18 year olds generally really aren't bothered about their big bro's weddings. And also, in the nicest possible way she's clearly only BM because she's your OH's little sis not because she's mates with you so she's probably not going to be that fussed in all honesty - especially if she's got a new boy on the scene!

And to quote xxxGossipgurl (I haven't worked out how to quote 2 different people!) : hmmm she is definatley no baby at 18, but when I think back to when I was 18 I can't imagine myself helping plan a wedding or hen night I would have no clue what to do! If you and your other bridesmaids are older as well maybe she thinks she has nothing to bring to the table maybe?

Deffo the dress issue needs to be tackled! I know it would be extremely awkward but if she can't fit in the dress on the day... well, she couldn't really be your bridesmaid could she so maybe this needs to be pointed out to her! Tactfully of course!

Completely agree again. TBH, you're probably not going to be able to change an 18 year olds attitude so it depends on how set you/your OH are on having her as BM as to whether you put up or sack her.

Re. the dress. We're having to have a panel put in the back of one of my BMs dresses. Is that not possible? Or get it made into a corset back perhaps?

• JennyH10
    Beginner May 2013
    JennyH10 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There's not a lot you can do about her not being particularly interested in the wedding and the planning that needs doing, she's 18 and like most 18 year olds she's probably pretty self-centred, I know I was and not even aware of how much work a wedding is. Ditto with the hen do planning.

As for the dress I would just explain to her that you can't get her a replacement and you bought it for her in good faith so if she can't either get it altered herself or manage to fit back into it then she just can't be a BM on the day, simple as.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

EWSS.

And I know that at 18, even though i'd be chuffed at being a BM (nice dress etc), I honestly couldn't have given 2 hoots about being "involved", and if I was family, I wouldn't feel "honoured" as such, probably more pleased about being asked because it meant I got to wear a fab dress.

plus at 18, I was too busy with my social life to be bothered about someone elses wedding, even of I was a BM.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics