Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

psycho_jo
Beginner August 2012

Bridesmaid bags - to have or not?

psycho_jo, 16 August, 2012 at 18:26 Posted on Planning 0 10

Left this one til last min. My mum was going to make some (she's making all dresses and I don't want to stress her out by asking for bags now!!) Have seen some on ebay which would do....but then I'm wondering, do I need them? I don't want them to walk down aisle holding them or have them in photos. I know I did have a bag when I've been a bridesmaid but don't know what I did with it during ceremony etc! One BM pointed out that's what her OH is for. What do you guys think? Is it an extra expense (£40) I could do without or will my girls be secretly annoyed if I don't get them one?

10 replies

Latest activity by psycho_jo, 17 August, 2012 at 10:07
  • HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

I'm definitely not having one. I don't like the look and I don't think they're needed - I don't intend to buy any drinks and all my friends and family will be with me so I won't need my phone. Plus we are staying at the venue so should I need to freshen up, I'll do it in my room. Smiley smile. I'm having one adult bridesmaid who will probably keep her things in my room too.

• samwiches
    Beginner August 2013
    samwiches ·
    • Hide content

I think I'll be getting some for my girls, little ones for things like lippy and a mirror, that kind of thing. But I hadn't really thought about the consequences of where to put them! Might just get an usher to hold them lol, that's what lads are for right? Plus I have pretty horrendous IBS so I'll be keeping a few bits handy in one of the BMs handbags.

At my cousin's wedding a few weeks ago, the vicars wife actually looked at the BMs handbags during the ceremony, then gave them back once the pictures had been taken. It was pretty seamless and that way they could keep their bits and pieces with them for later on ?

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

I've been a bridesmaid 5 times as an adult and have been bought a bag once. That was because we had wrist corsages and lovely vintage bags to hold instead of a bouquet.

The rest of the time I do without for the ceremony then use one of my own for the reception / evening. I would never expect to be bought one unless I was having one for the ceremony instead of flowers and the bride wanted it to be a specific bag...

I'm not buying them for my BMs, but I have got them pashminas (which I've never been bought as a BM). It's going to be cold in the church in November so don't want them to freeze!

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I didnt have one as a BM but I did have my OH and my parents there plus I was staying overnight so I didnt really need to carry anything.

• E
    Beginner September 2012
    emma_1985 ·
    • Hide content

I've asked the lady making my bridesmaids dresses to make a small bag for them all, just so they have a few bits and pieces on them and so they all match (I had visions of 3 mismatched/ugly/massive ones being in photos!)

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I asked BMs what they wanted, all 3 said no bag as they already had flowers to hold, so they didnt have bags.

• J
    Beginner October 2012
    jess_brodey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! I didn't want obvious bags so mine have got ones the same material as their dresses, although I expect their other halves will end up holding them!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

My BM's used their own bags but they didn't feature in the wedding. They just put them down and forgot about them, same as mine really. I personally wouldn't waste my money.

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I asked mine, 2 said yes and 1 was not bothered, so I have bought them small silver dolly bags and I have a ivory satin one to match my dress that CBM will have during the ceromony, I'm asthmatic so will need my inhaler near me. They only cost me £2.50 each.

• psycho_jo
    Beginner August 2012
    psycho_jo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the advice. Sounds mostly like a no. Phew. Can save £40!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics