Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Adele
Savvy March 2024 Durham

Bridesmaid Drama

Adele, 27 of April of 2022 at 07:33 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 10

Hi everyone! I have 5 bridesmaids in total (2 friends, my sister, niece and daughter). I have quite a strained relationship with my sister recently as she has fell out with a lot of people in the family for really petty and stupid reasons. I also work a lot so I have not seen much of her in recent months due to working loads of extra hours to pay for the wedding.

At the start of the year when my sister was given the bridesmaid role she was interested in certain aspects of the wedding but was not interested in a lot of things too. She seemed to only be interested in things that directly affected her like for example what dress colour she would be wearing. Things like decorations, colour schemes, general planning and venue she was not interested in.

I was not going to have a MOH but my best friend has been so much help. She's interested, gives her opinion and I speak to her every day. So I gave her that role. My sister found out about this a few weeks later and was absolutely furious that she was not maid of honour. I was shocked that she was actually saying it! I explained i have hardly spoken to her lately and I feel like she isn't interested. She just kicked up a massive fuss and this was in front of quite a few people so quite embarrassing. I actually feel like she's lucky to be a bridesmaid. I wouldn't take that role away from her but I was upset by her lack of gratitude.

Just really don't know what to make of this. Have any other brides had silly dramas like this? My sister is 31 by the way x

10 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 7 of May of 2022 at 12:21
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    It seems maybe your sister is forgetting that it’s your day and not hers! I’m eloping so I had Issues at the beginning with my sister. She was very upset that she wouldn’t be there and said “well I’ll get married and invite you.” Which is fine because that’s what she wants but I’m not a big wedding party person and it’s my day. I think you’re right to have your most trusted and supportive person as your MOH because after all, they play a big part in the big day and leading up to it. Hopefully your sister will realise your decision but if not, don’t let it ruin your big day as if she’s grumpy all day she will just regret it in the long run!
  • Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Ostira, it's your day and you should be able to do what makes you happy, if that is having your best friend there as MOH then so be it. You're never going to be able to please everyone so do what you can to please yourself and make it a day you want!

• Adele
    Savvy March 2024 Durham
    Adele ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. The wedding isn't until March 2024 so she will have plenty of time to get out of her silly mood before then. I've never known anyone else to go in a mood about not being maid of honour at someone's wedding.
  • Adele
    Savvy March 2024 Durham
    Adele ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Exactly. Completely agree about it not being possible pleasing everyone. There have been a few things over the last few months where people have gave opinions or tried to get us to do something different but this MOH thing was just stupid!
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My sister went in a mood for a while over not being mine but got over it when she realised it’s my day and no one else is going to be there anyway! Hopefully your sister will realise that with not being so close lately and your best friend being so supportive and involved that your best friend was the best choice is MOH. I have 3 sisters, 2 married and I’ve never been MOH or had special roles in their weddings because they picked close friends.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    God, it really annoys me that people have a sense of entitlement tonanrolw just because they are family! This is your wedding and you should do what you want, yourbauster needs to grow up, it is not a big deal and she should be happy for you. Sorry if it sounds harsh but I wouldn't even get into it with her, maybe just say you are sorry she feels this way but am sure she can appreciate and respect your wishes. I haven't had any family as BM as am now tnthat close to them and want my bestie with me on the day, no one challenged it even though I was a BM for one and MOH for the other, as I think that was more out of a sense of duty! Please try not to let it upset you, throughout all the planning the one thing I have learnt is you do you and people will have opinion but you have to igonre it, as long as you are comfortable with your choices it is noone else's business.
    Good luck x
  • S
    Savvy June 2022 Greater Manchester
    snowshine123 ·
    • Hide content

I have been a bridesmaid 3 times (2 friends, 1 sister) and MOH once (best friend). I don't have any bridesmaids for mine for several reasons - (1) my pick for MOH (same best friend) isn't able to make my wedding and I cannot imagine giving that title to anyone else, (2) 1 of my sisters isn't well, so initially I did have both my sisters as bridesmaids but my sister requested to attend as guest only, which I was completely fine with (3) I have large groups of friends and would find it hard to difficult to choose and (4) H2B didn't want any groomsman lol. I don't mind that decision cos I'm not going to choose just for the sake of it.

Your sister should respect you and help you and your bridal party plan your big day! xx

• Adele
    Savvy March 2024 Durham
    Adele ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks Charlotte and you don't sound harsh at all. I wasn't expecting her reaction but I was completely honest with my reasons and kept calm whilst I spoke to her despite her being really moody and trying to cause a scene. I was pretty angry about it the next day but now I'm fine. My H2B was there at the time and he was very shocked and annoyed. I don't think he really wants her to be a bridesmaid but I have chosen her and I wouldn't take it away x
  • Adele
    Savvy March 2024 Durham
    Adele ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This happened at the weekend and things have since calmed down. I am not pissed off about it anymore. I'm still in the early planning stage of the wedding but I hope that closer to the time she gets a bit more interested and involved. But if she doesn't it's okay I have other people to support me x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think ypur sister will just have to accept what you want xx i hate the bit when they say you would be mine i was asked by my sister then as it got closer to wedding i was just a guest.We are eloping not g9ne down well with family when they found out xx But at the end of day its about you amd h2b your mh sounds amazing xx💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics