Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

bridesmaid dress dilemma - too short?

23 August, 2011 at 16:10 Posted on Planning 0 21

My MOH has just tried on her dress with her shoes and now the hem is about 1.5" too short - I sewed the hem so that it would be floor-length with her wearing flat shoes, at the time she said that she would want flats not heels, but the ones she picked out at the weekend are 3" high! You can see them very clearly when she walks and although they are really cute shoes I am worried this will look bad - I remember when I flashed some pictures a while back the feedback was that dresses that don't quite reach the floor don't look good, but there is no room on the hem to let it down. She doesn't want me flashing a picture of her on here but I've set up how it looks on my mannequin, should I redo the skirt of the dress so it reaches the floor (this would mean sewing the skirt from scratch), or is it ok?

these are the shoes -->

21 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 24 August, 2011 at 11:02
  • SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Its hard to tell from the pic but IMO theres nothing worse than a skirt / trousers being too short in heels, esp for pics. Only you know because you have seen it together.

I think i'd be telling her to go buy flats as previously agreed...

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't re do it, I would make her wear flats....lol.....seriously though it looks fine as it's set up on the mannequin

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Exactly WTS!! Surely it's far easier for her to buy new flat shoes (like she said she was getting originally) than for you to start on a whole new skirt so close to your wedding. x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd be asking her to buy some flat shoes as originally planned. Redoing a whole skirt just over a week before your wedding, especially when you've worked so hard on them, is the last thing you need.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

me too! I think it's cheeky of her not to have done so to be honest!

• lauren700
    Beginner
    lauren700 ·
    • Hide content

Short skirts/trousers are my pet hate! it annoys me so much. Can she wear flats for ceremony and photos then change into them for the party?

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Personally I think it looks OK as the shoes are lovely. But if it isn't want you want and she agreed to flats and LET YOU MEASURE IT THAT WAY then how dare she go totally off plan!? It is 3 inches, so not like she has got a tiny heel hoping to get away with it.

I would be fuming if it went against everything we had discussed, and make her get a refund for the shoes. Or have her in flats and change later as hitchers have suggested. Enterflora your work is stunning and it is clear how much time and effort has gone into all your creating and designing. I feel she has been pretty cheeky just doing this when it clearly wasn't in your plans. She is now costing you possibly extra expense, as well as time and stress.... not what a BM should be doing!

• Mrs Whippy
    Beginner September 2012
    Mrs Whippy ·
    • Hide content

If you're set on making an underskirt, can you make it out of an itchy material? ?

• Echo
    Beginner August 2012
    Echo ·
    • Hide content

She should wear falts instead of messing you about. If she was a good friend she wouldn't even consider letting you redo her dress so maybe have a word with her about how much work that would be. Last thing you need so close to a wedding!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

Flora, I know she has £85 on these shoes, but she really shouldn't have done. She told you she would be wearing flats, you made a dress accordingly, and what does she do? Go out and get mega heels. HONESTLY.

I would tell her to take them back! She should have consulted with you before buying them.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly WKVS.

I may be entirely wrong Flora, but I get the impression you can maybe be a bit too lovely with your family sometimes. This is, after all, your wedding (without sounding too Bridezilla-esque), and I think the people who love you should be doing what they can to help you not stress you out!

Personally, if she really wants to wear the shoes I would insist she wears flats for the ceremony and official photos. She can then change into her sparkly shoes later.

I know her and your mum think the dress looks fine with the shoes showing but it's not about what they think - it's about you. They're your wedding photos!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

and something like that could annoy you for the rest of your life!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics