Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Bridesmaid Dress Problems

8 September, 2012 at 12:51 Posted on Planning 0 14

I want really light pink dresses - they are very hard to find!

For this reason I feel I need to be looking into / ordering them ASAP (weddings early August 2013).

But I'm seriously worried -

I have 5 bridesmaids, and if one or two really dislike the dress - what do you do?

Also 1 of them is pregnant so I have no idea what dress size to buy them (baby will be 4 months old) - do I ask them what they want? But how are they meant to know what size they will be?

Also I'm having a few 'but I'm going to lose weight' comments - What do I do with this, I don't want to have dresses that are too small for people because they end up not losing weight?

14 replies

Latest activity by hazyclaire, 10 September, 2012 at 22:17
  • mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I get married in April and have recently had a similar thing with one of my BM being awkward about the dress, not knowing what size, etc. She said just to get her a certain size and hope that it fit at the time as she was dieting. At £175 a dress, I wasn't prepared to just buy and have to try and get another dress if it didnt fit. She went to try dresses on and the one she wanted didn't fit at all, so now buying a bigger size, and altering nearer the time x

• Indiefluff
    Beginner August 2013
    Indiefluff ·
    • Hide content

I have the same situation! I also have 5 bridesmaids and am getting married early August 2013. One of my maids is trying to get pregnant at the moment, so I have no idea whether she will still be pregnant or will have recently given birth. Two of my other maids are both on diets and have already lost alot of weight so I have no idea what size they will be next year. I've just decided to wait until spring next year before I get them dresses (even though I really would like to get them now!) as there's really nothing else I can do.

sorry I haven't actually helped, but just know that you're not alone! Good luck!

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

I think bridemaids dresses take around 12 weeks or so to be made ? If so, you still do have plenty of time. I was looking for a Dessy bridal dress,and I was shown some of their bridesmaid dresses which are really beautiful-so many styles and 80 or so colours-every shade of pink. Their sizing is very accurate to their size guide as well. The lady in the bridal shop told me that she could get smaller dresses to fit by inserting a panel and a corset back. Someone had recommended a website to me as well called sexyher ,saying they were good quality and reasonably priced dresses,but I didn't find anything on there for me. Good luck, I'm sure you will find something suitable in time- you could always go for mismatched styles and shades of pink

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

Obviously I'm all done on this front, but if you are buying from a bridal shop they will help you, for those wanting to loose weight I would suggest ordering the dress in the size they are now and then have them taken in (much easier to take in than let out). Although, I order my dresses in Mid January and they had arrived by end of May so you have time to think about it.

Pregenant BM's are my speciallity, after we ordered the dresses one called me to say that she had just fallen pregenant so she will be 8 months on the day, then I have another call from other BM to say she was pregenant she will be 5 months on the day. When the first one called I called the shop straight away and they ordered extra material, what they have done now is used the panels from the first ones dress in the second ones dress and made new bigger panels for the first (hope this makes sense). We have now had 3 fittings dresses look great, shop is doing last fitting on the Tuesday before the wedding for any last minute tweaks and we will collect the day before (which I was going to do anyway).

Good luck to you all - and with regards to choosing them, remember although you want them to be comfortable it is your wedding if you are paying you may have to put your foot down, but with three adults all different ages, sizes and complexsions we managed but IO had the final say!

• H
    Beginner May 2013
    HEmmaH ·
    • Hide content

I've ordered Allure BM dresses and apparently they can take up to 6 months to come - one of my BMs is pregnant at the moment - she is normally a size 16 and the Allure dresses are usually needed in a size up anyway but I've actually ordered her a 20 (equivalent of an 18) - the dress shop lady said that because they are chiffon they can't be taken out but can be taken in up to 3 sizes so I'm going with the safest option! And also I don't want her to be upset if she tries it on and it's too small. I may cut off the label!! (Although I'm so clumsy that would probably result in me ripping the dress ha ha!)

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I can relate, one of my bridesmaids is due in 4 weeks, the other in 9 weeks so I have to wait until they have given birth and know roughly what size they will be. I am planning to get them ordered in January which gives me 9 months as the wedding is early September. Trouble is I want them to go and try on the styles that they like which takes time and may be awkward with a new baby...

Do you know who you are getting the dresses from as you could always ring and ask whats the latest time you can order...

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Have answered as best I can

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    kayzz ·
    • Hide content

Im having 4 bms and my moh is the fussy one she doesnt want a black dress she doesnt want it short etc

im picking them and they can like it or lump it i wont put them in a horrible dress they know that

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    BigRedCandle ·
    • Hide content

This thread is really handy, my CBM is planning to try for a baby after her wedding, so on my own wedding day she could be anywhere from 7/8 months pregnant to 3/4 months post-pregnancy. I'm thinking I'll wait until she falls pregnant to talk to her about dresses, and then we'll know where we're at. Ahh why cant the world stop for our weddings?! Haha.

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

I honestly would stop worry so much, 11 months is quit some time to go, I ordered my dresses at the end of July for my wedding in November, My sister and cousin both ordered there dresses from America about 3-4 months before there wedding and they turned up in time. If you find dresses that you like they will give you a rough delivery time scale so just work from that.

As for the size thing it will all depend on how they are, when I had mu daughter I lost weight really easily through W.W and breast feeding but everyone is different, if it is her first child, perhaps order a size bigger than what she was pre-pregnancy so she doesn't feel any pressure.If it her second or third then it is best ask her how she done on the first couple.

As for the rest of them agree with others, order in there size now as even with the best intentions to lose weight it doesnt always happen as life tends to get in the way!!

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

I had all of these worries / problems, I went for the twist wrap dresses in the end as they are so adaptable even for pregnant people!

As it happens, no one has even got pregnant!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

You say that, but my SIL lost over a stone after we ordered the dresses. She told the dress lady that she was going to lose weight, but she ordered the size she was this time last year. She had to have her dress taken in over 5 inches, costing £90!

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've been a bridesmaid 6 times, every time I tell the dress shop - I will lose a stone before the wedding, they never believe me and order me a bigger size than I even am at the time, then I lose a stone and have to pay the shop for alterations. Now, surprise surprise, the same has happened with my wedding dress and it's too big.

Really it's a no brainer for the shop though - you put on a bit of weight the dress fits, you stay the same or lose weight and they charge you for alterations. Win win situation for them!

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

P.S. Two Birds do a lovely nude pink colour and their dresses are one size fits all

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics