Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Weddingjuly2023
Curious August 2023 Buckinghamshire

Bridesmaids and Cleavage

Weddingjuly2023, 3 of March of 2023 at 13:38 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 6
Hi all,

I wanted your thoughts on the below and whether I'm being unreasonable.
I have 10 bridesmaids and I've said them that they can get any dress they like, I'll pay for them but just as long as they are a shade of pink. The other thing I've said is natural cleavage is fine and looks nice, but maybe don't go too booby or low cut because it's a church wedding and quite traditional.
I felt bad saying this because I never want to dictate what people wear or be too strict, I want my bridesmaids to feel confident. However, myself and my husband to be both come from Catholic backgrounds where wearing revealing clothes at a wedding or in a church is seen as disrespectful, I'm not saying I agree with it. I just don't want the stress of it all.
Please let me know your thoughts. I'm happy with natural cleavage, backless or a leg slit.

6 replies

Latest activity by Colleenraxia, 11 of March of 2023 at 22:11
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    I think you should be respectful of the environment you are in, whether it's your beliefs or not. So I don't think you are being unreasonable to ask them to consider they will be in a religious building when choosing their dress.
  • S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I think that’s perfectly reasonable, and prevents a bridesmaid from feeling uncomfortable if she didn’t know there was an etiquette to church weddings. Have any of them said anything about it?

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think this is totally understandable but I think you need to just explain are your friends the type to get dresses that show alot of boob ♥️
  • A
    Dedicated October 2023 Surrey
    AmesLou ·
    • Hide content

Even if you weren't having a catholic wedding, it would be perfectly okay to request this! You're paying for the dresses and you still want your bridesmaids to look nice and be comfortable - you're not deliberately buying them awful dresses! I'm sure they'll be fine getting though one event without a low cut dress.

I am actually having a Catholic wedding and my dress is being altered because I didn't feel it was suitable for the ceremony - it originally had a very low back but my one has been made with the design on the back being built up higher (at least it's meant to be - I get to see it tomorrow so fingers crossed it's as it should be)! The v-neck at the front has also been brought up slightly higher.

My bridesmaid dresses are being made based on a drawing from a 1930s dress pattern. They're not low at the front, but again the back is lower, so this will be altered.

I hope this helps!

• Ajx
    Dedicated April 2024 West Yorkshire
    Ajx ·
    • Hide content

Also getting married in a catholic church and I've also told my 7 bridesmaids that I dont want their dresses too revealing (they will be wearing multiway dresses however they like but I have mentioned about being too revealing) and everyone has been fine! I think it's just about respecting the environment x

• R
    Beginner May 2023 Berkshire
    Rose ·
    • Hide content

Just get a stripper and nobody will notice the cleavage of the bridesmaids.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics