Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Twists
Beginner September 2011

Buttonholes

Twists, 31 July, 2011 at 20:04 Posted on Planning 0 12

Can someone answer this for me please.... We went to a wedding on Saturday and not only did all the male members of the wedding party have buttonholes but so did the mother of the bride and the mother of the groom. I had always thought that only the men wore buttonholes? Am I completely wrong on this and do I now need to order two more buttonholes for our mums??>

12 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 1 August, 2011 at 10:31
  • Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I think it up to you, some weddings don't have any button holes. My first thought, though, was that women don't wear button holes, they have a corsage which is larger and fuller (usually) and can be worn on the wrist or pinned to a clutch bag. The corsage is usually similar to the button holes.

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

The mothers have corsages Smiley smile

I'm ordering corsages for mine.. you can have them either as wrist corsages or like "buttonholes"

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oops... think we posted at the same time lol...

• R
    Beginner
    rachb3 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what is the correct "eticate" but we're doing corsages (sp?) for the Mother of the bride as well as buttonholes or the male members of the wedding party. It's prob like everything else, up to you and your groom as to what you would prefer.x

• Twists
    Beginner September 2011
    Twists ·
    • Hide content

It didn't even occur to me to be honest but am glad I have found out now, I'd hate to get to the day and have the mums ask where their flowers are!!! I've now emailed my florist and asked her to add on 2 corsages to the order!

God, now I'm in panic mode as to anything else I might have missed!!!

• MonaLisaBrideToBe
    Beginner June 2012
    MonaLisaBrideToBe ·
    • Hide content

Our two mums will be having corsages!! x

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I'm glad you posted this because my mum mentioned to me the other day that the women have a form of buttonhole too so I was going to ask the same question. So thanks Smiley winking

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Just to add that buttonholes are quite different to corsages and as already pointed out, corsages are normally worn by Mums, and sometimes Grandma's or Special Aunts but mainly Mums. Buttonholes come as 'standard' which is normally one single flower with some complimenting leaves, a'special' buttonhole normally worn by the Groom so he stands out from the rest of the guys and corsages for the Mums. A corsage is made into a very miniature bouquet shape which has lots of smaller flowers wired individually to make one floral piece to wear on the lapel of a jacket or a dress. If you require wrist corsages or handbag corsages, these should always be asked for by name otherwise florists automatically provide a lapel corsage.

Standard buttonhole

"Special buttonhole"

Mums' Lapel corsage

Hope that helps.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Yes if there are any Gran's it will be nice for them to have one too.

• Twists
    Beginner September 2011
    Twists ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. I emailed my florist and said we wanted corsage style buttonholes for the mums and thankfully she understood what I meant! Its just the two mums, no other females as its just close family coming.

The only thing now is, I'm wondering if I should include our female witness as otherwise she will be the only one without a flower! Basically we have me, my BM, my H2B, his best man, brother and mum and dad and my mum. The husband of my BM is being a witness and the wife of the best man is being the other witness. We arranged a buttonhole for the male witness, do you think it would be an idea to get a corsage for the female witness?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Maybe a special buttonhole for her? Otherwise she will feel a bit left out I think but I would keep the corsages for the Mums.

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Like everyone said above. The "buttonholes" for ladies (in general, mothers) are called "corsage" but they can be worn in a lot of ways: bracelet-type, lapel or, as ours will be, handbag-corsages.

My OH's buttonhole:

Groomsmen buttonholes:

Mums' will be similar to this, but less fussy and with white roses and cones;

Other mothers' corsages:

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

To add something else to the mix. It was a pain for us deciding who should/shouldn't have buttonholes, in the usual scenario we would have had to give one to my step-dad (whom I dislike) so we decided just to give them to the groom and best man (so not even mother of the bride/groom). It fits with our wedding better that way anyway as it is in a registry office.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics