Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner December 2012

Buttonholes for women??

kingfisher1923, 11 November, 2012 at 17:46 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi there, we're just making our list of who we need to do buttonholes for. They will be pretty cheap because a friend who has access to a wholesale flower warehouse is doing them for us. We're thinking of including quite a wide list of people. Groom, best man, ushers, FOB, FOG, MOG (my mum sadly no longer with us). But then also my sister (doing a reading), my brother (witness), and a couple of other siblings and nieces/nephews so the non-usher ones etc don't feel left out!

I've seen previous threads on here about getting corsages for the MOG and MOB, as opposed to buttonholes. (Hadn't heard about these before!). My question is, would you normally get corsages for all women you were including, or is it OK to get normal buttonholes for my sister, his sister, and my nieces? Not quite sure what the convention is here, or if they'd think it weird to be given a buttonhole...

Thanks in advance!

6 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 12 November, 2012 at 14:43
  • Purple*Sparkles
    Beginner June 2013
    Purple*Sparkles ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, Firstly a corserge for a wedding is like a button hole incase you were unsure (I was, to me a corserge is something a woman wears on her wrist for a prom!!)! I think my florist told me that a mans button hole is usually just one flower whereas a ladies corserge is more than one flower. I am only having them for my MOB and FMIL. But is your preference really. I just think about saving money. It is only my immediate bridal party having button holes also.

• rubyfirecracker
    Beginner November 2013
    rubyfirecracker ·
    • Hide content

We went to a wedding last year where all of the close family were given buttonholes and corsages. The bride gave ladies a choice of having it on their wrist or as a pin.

Personally, I'm making felt and button buttnholes for the boys and felt/flower hearts for the ladies. Definitely for the wedding party/family, and then if I can be arsed to make more, everyone. Can double up as a little favour Smiley smile

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I am not bothering for the women as we have 4 sets of parents between us so I would either have to pay out for everybody and nobody, men included. My mum isnt fussed about having one nor is my stepmum so its easier just to go for the immediate male wedding party members (groom, usher, best man and my dad) Saves money too!

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice - I'll have to have a think about this and try to draw up a final list!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

The difference is that buttonholes are just that - they go in the hole in the man's jacket. Women wouldn't have that hole, so they have something that can be pinned onto their jacket or dress. As I understand it, traditional corsages also hang downwards, whereas the buttonholes face upwards. Neither of our mothers had a corsage, because their dresses were quite fussy.

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Hi im having button holes for all my ceremony guests, the men which will just be H2B my dad and jamie our son there having a white rose with a pink fressia to match my bouquet the important women which are my aunt (step in mum) my nan and mil will be having a pink rose with a white fressia and everyone else will be having white carnations.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

So often I see mum struggling with the corsage - trying to get it to hang nicely because they are trying to hang it "up" when it is or should be built to hang down. As soon as they hang it down its a perfect fit.Also the ladies corsage can come with a magnet fixing so as not to damage your top. Or you can get them made to fit your cluch bag, so sometimes if it is hot the top (not blouse) may be removed and so loosing the flower so by having it on the bag you keep the flower

A lot of the time the men's button hole in their jackets is still sewn up, or the flower and stem may have extras that just will not fit in the hole so most of the time the flower looks better pined on the lapel as opposed to trying to stuff it in the hole.

Button hole

Matching corsage - same wedding

Button hole flower on lapel

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics