Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mustard_mitt
Beginner September 2015

Calling all tomboy and geeky brides-to-be!

mustard_mitt, 7 of January of 2014 at 23:21 Posted on Planning 0 42

Ok, I have a big problem. I'm not girly enough for all this wedding stuff!

Yes I have a very pretty ring, which is lovely and all the women I know are cooing over it, but then I go on wedding websites and I just don't like all the stuff someone with two X chromosomes is supposed to like! I just spent half an hour looking at a perfectly good invites website; I hated ALL of the designs. Even the blue ones and that's my favourite colour!

I've never been girly. I work in a male-dominated workplace for a start so I'm surrounded by men all day and then I come home to a man. I like comic books, superhero flicks, anime and gaming. I'd choose going to the F1 over getting a manicure. I'm really struggling to find wedding stuff that suits me and my personality and I know I'm not the only geeky bride out there. Fiance isn't as geeky as I am, but he likes that I'm not a normal girl (or else he wouldn't be marrying me!).

Anyway please say I'm not alone in this non-girly wedding planning. I'd really like some people like me to talk to about creating a fun and unique wedding that embraces some traditional aspects but also my inner nerd.

42 replies

Latest activity by squish815, 9 of January of 2014 at 20:49
  • DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Hard to believe but this is completely normal. The great thing about capturing so many couples days is you get to see the differences between them.

Completely different dresses, stationery, cakes etc. One of my brides is having comic book bunting, another a lego cake, I could go on. The last wedding I shot last year had no details. None! No flowers, no favours nothing, apart from the brides bouquet. It was an amazing day regardless of that.

My point is, instead of searching for things you should like, try and write down what is important to you and what you like and then search around that.

• broganj
    Dedicated January 2017
    broganj ·
    • Hide content

Mustard_mitt have you looked at The Offbeat Bride? The lovely ladies over there sound like the perfect group for you and they're all so friendly and helpful.

The majority of them are in the USA but I think it will make you realise you aren't alone in how you feel!

• Chippet
    Beginner January 2014
    Chippet ·
    • Hide content

You aren't alone!

I'm not especially girly, although I'm probably more girly than you. But it doesn't matter! It's your wedding, do you makes you and your OH happy!

If you don't like any invites, design your own that your happy with. I did and mine were a basic a5 white card with black writing and a New York skyline image and the top. That's it. There are so many options out there. Another example from me is, not bothering with heels and am wearing converse all day.

I bet you could have an awesome comic book themed wedding!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
  • Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Geeky tomboy signing in!

As someone mentioned offbeat bride is good for alternatives, I also check out when geeks Wed too. But theres a few of us here. Thou I browse OBB I find talking here easier since its the same legal system for ceremonies, traditions and culture

Share your plans with us!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

This is very common, search pinterest - ive seen comic book inspired invites and superhero cakes

the whole point is to be you heres some ideas:

• prettywild
    prettywild ·
    • Hide content

Hi mustard_mitt

I don't usually get the chance to post on here very often any more but I still lurk during the odd coffee break!. I'm not sure if it would be of interest to you but as a self confessed geek myself I actually have developed a new range of invitations I've called "Geekololgy". They're flat printed like a poster (with extra guest info that can be printed on the reverse) and folded down to fit in a DL envelope and secured with a belly band. By default they are a shade of blue and A3 but can be adapted and there are currently 4 to choose from: Spectacles; Chemistry;(see below) Magnetism and Equation (and a new one soon called "Vinyl"). If you are interested at all you're welcome to email me

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I'm not very girly either, can't remember the last time I wore a dress, or painted my nails, or did anything girly. I spend most of my life covered in scratches from my pet rats! Just go with what suits you. We are making our own invites from scratch as couldn't find any that I liked. They are black and red and will have a rat picture on them (mad, but so perfect for us!). My dress is a black and red handfasting dress rather than a 'normal' wedding dress. Nothing wrong with being unique :-)

• Merigold
    Beginner June 2014
    Merigold ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome.

You are not alone.

The theme of our wedding is "*** we like". We like....deep breath...Zombies, guns, sci fi, wow, books, bbqs, puzzles, pranks,politics, rps, Larping, paintballing, four wheeling...in other words...a wedding should be all about you and what YOU like.

I have made a couple of concessions. I am wearing a white pretty traditional dress - I am doing this for our family - the hurt I saw in my future mil's face when I mentioned a dark forest green dress was heartbreakingSmiley smile I drew the line at wearing a veil though. I'm also wearing make up and getting my hair done. My usual routine involves a hair brush and some cheap moisturizer - but I know I might regret in later years not looking my absolute best - even if it is maybe not what I am most absolutley comfortable with usually. ( or so I have been convinced by my friends..lol)

I am looking forward to celebrating our weirdness with our most loved friends and family..eveything else does not ultimately matter.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

High five!

I'm having a cape! love my cape. i will wear it when i DM in future!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that... I too love rats Smiley smile

ill wear white but hoping to have a fastening too

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think ive found a balance as I like some girly things (like wishing trees and white + sparkles) but we are also going with what we like, trucks, bikes and rock/metal/country music lol

p.s im also not wearing a veil (sorry but I personally find them quite cheap looking, even the nice expensive ones) but will wear one on my hen do (and no not a god awful pink one with feathers lol)

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure I qualify as a tomboy or a geek (I wear makeup every day!) but weddings come in all shapes and sizes. You don't have to buy it gave anything that's for a 'wedding'. There is so much stuff out there, you just need to look further afield than wedding websites and wedding fairs.

Keep going- you will find things you love.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.rocknrollbride.com

This has loads of 'alternative' ideas! I loved looking through this website when I was planning, very cool!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Oooh i haven't checked that blog in a long while!

• broganj
    Dedicated January 2017
    broganj ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You aren't alone there! I have scratches all over my shoulders right now from ours.

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Offbeat Bride looks great, I've signed up to it. I'm so glad I'm not alone in this wedding faff!

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

Im not much of a tomboy but Im a little geeky and nerdy which OH doesnt like! Im very into superheroes (and Villains ?! Loki anyone??!!) and sci-fi but like mini said I wear make-up every day. We're incorporating lego into our wedding and monopoly streets are the table names so throwing all sorts in that wedding mix!!! You just have to remember that the wedding is your and your OH's expressions of your lives and loves both for each other and yourselves. Show everyone what you like and rock that tomboy-geeky wedding!!

Debbi xx

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

LOKI!! Best Movie villian in ages!

Love your idea for lego and monopoly, would love to see some flashes

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

Ha! Actually in love with Tom Hiddleston, my Pinterest is full of pictures of him!! We saw the monopoy idea on Pinterest too, Ive managed to source an original 1950s version of it and using that for the board. I've attached the pic from Pinterest but obviously we'll be having the street names instead and it'll be an older board.

Debbi xx

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

DebbiBunn/Elixia: I'm in love with Tom Hiddleston too! He's just lovely, not many people seem to understand the love I have for him, so I'm glad you ladies do ?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That table plan is amazing!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

HOW could people not understand???? tom hiddleston is loveliness to the extreme. especially as loki!!!

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

Nice table plan Debbi!

and Tom Hiddleston oozes charisma, have you seen at Comic Con? he has the audience eating out of his hand. incredible.

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

He was amazing at Comic Con, I was honestly transfixed. He clearly loves Loki as a character and loves the fans just as much. I'd be first in the queue for a Loki movie.

Oh and have you seen that man dance?! Snake hips or what!? ?

Now if only I could have him at the wedding.... (preferably as the groom) ?

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Mustard mitt - My hubby would love comic con, can you tell me more about it and how you went about travel/booking etc. I am not into it but if I did this for his 30th I think he would explode with happiness!!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow love this table plan!

Oooo my Husband has a stand at Comic Con so I get to see all the stuff this year!!

• squish815
    Beginner June 2014
    squish815 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I want them shoes! I can't walk in heels but they are lovely!

Also love the Monopoly seating plan.

I'm pretty tomboyish and nerdy, although the OH is way more nerdy than I am. We're trying to include as much as possibly that reflects 'us' rather than what is 'expected' at a wedding. Music will be the main thing (we're into indie/rock/metal etc. but there will be some of the usual songs thrown in for family and friends who don't enjoy the same music as us), but I'm hoping to include as much superhero/Doctor Who/zombie/gaming/etc stuff throughout the wedding as possible!

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Games aren't really my thing but I have to say thats one of the best table plans ive seen ?

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

I'm not particularly geeky by general geek standards (although some people might think I am) and am definitely into girly, sparkly pretty things so sorry to gatecrash but was intrigued by title and just wanted to say that I LOVE all the ideas on her!

I wouldn't choose them for myself as want the girly stuff too much but H2B would have a proper geek fest wedding if he had his way! As it is we are having my choices for centrepieces (and probably a lot more besides as it gets left up to me to make decisions!) but I'm trying to think of ways to get his interests in too and our table names will be wrestlers (as in WWE and TNA) catchphrases/nicknames, not sure anyone will 'get' it but think it will be very funny to see them written in whatever fancy weddingy font I choose!

As for finding wedding stuff, perhaps don't look for wedding stuff? Have seen loads of Don't Tell The Bride where the bloke has had some weird and wonderful idea and they've just gone to where the stuff will be then adapted it instead of looking for wedding stuff already in an unusual theme.

Also; to the poster who said they like larping; did you see the DTTB where the husband was into larping, was SO good!!

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

Wow thanks guys!!! I love that you like our table plan, you can thank Pinterest, I've shamelessly stolen the idea from there. As for meeting Tom Hiddleston at a Comic Con, Id probably have to be dragged away by security. Serious crush going on there. As for Loki, I think the below explains all!!

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

And for good reason does he have more fangirls (and male fans with boy crushes if we're honest!) but in fairness chris hemsworth is yummy too. i liked him in home and away even! haha

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics