Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner October 2010

Calon lan (has anyone evry heard it sung in english if so how did it sound?)

drifter, 25 August, 2009 at 08:32 Posted on Planning 0 5

Ok so it's tuesday morning, I have been in work for an hour and a half and I did 13 hours yesterday, so I am having myself a 5 min break and wondering why my wedding guests aren't all welsh, this is an issue (well not really but)

I love the hymn Calon lan (Pure heart) but it is a welsh hym I really wanted it at the wedding, but I'm not so sure that it would sing well in english, so think I am going to hae to let it go.

Sigh why didn't I plan ahead, (twentish yeras) and ensure I had all singing welsh friends at this point in my life (only kidding).

Contemplating using the instramental at some point in ceramony if all else fails.

So ladies anyone heared this sung in english how did it sound?

And is ther any one thing that is you had a magic wand you would have? Clearly mine would be to have all the guests sing perfectly in welsh for one song.

5 replies

Latest activity by alison76, 26 August, 2009 at 11:27
  • Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, this will no help to you whatsoever but I read the title as Colon Ian (as in the boys name ian!) and thought that's a funny type of song to want as a hymn...

Will wake up a little more before replying to any more posts!!

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha

Thats ok I was on the face book last night and thought one of my friends ahd written Baked Potatoe,

and I was liek why are they thinking Baked Potatoe took me ages to realise it was bad photo

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Do you maybe have one friend/relative (or two or three maybe) who is a really good welsh-speaking singer and would be prepared to sing it as a performance while you're signing the register? Or if not but you're really set on having it could your budget maybe stretch to hiring a singer to do that one song at some point. If not maybe you could find a cd track of it and have it played - I believe it's on one of Katherine Jenkins' albums - although you'd need to check whether you're allowed recorded music at your venue, I don't know what the rules are in England and Wales!

• C
    Beginner September 2009
    cobbsandkisses ·
    • Hide content

Ive heared it in english...really didnt work for me.

Id go with it if you have some welsh soeaking guests then they will sing anyway....or have a harpist play it for you

Its a beautifull hymn...would be a shame to not have it

T

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Ladies thankyou for your replies.

Almost MrsP i have considered getting few people to sing it but not sure it would quite work out, yes may use a recorded version in our playlist during wedding breakfast.

cobbsandkisses

Yeah it just didn't seem that the translation would fit with the music, ahh boo.

Current alternative plans

1) if we have a harpist or string quartet for service get them to play it contemplating as walking in music or signing the register. (But this depends on budget)

2) Finding a good recording that we can play at some point in the day.

3) Getting hold of that elusieve magic wand.

x

• A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

We considered it (my H is welsh) but decided not enough people spoke Welsh and it's too beautiful to have translated.

As a compromise we had Guide me o thou great redeemer (aka Bread of Heaven) (my fave hymn) printed in english and welsh in the order of service.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics