Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner July 2012

Canapes? To feed or not to feed?

Amy Catchlove, 14 November, 2010 at 16:54 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hey brides, I have a quick question... we are planning our wedding and aim for a 2pm wedding.

What are your views on canapes with reception drinks after the ceremony?

Your posts are really appreciated.. xx

Amy

27 replies

Latest activity by louisepalmer79, 16 November, 2010 at 17:04
  • kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content

My OH is a chef and he is dead set against having canapes after the ceremony. He reckons they are a waste of money and, from a chef's point of view, they are a lot of effort which isn't really appreciated as people pop them into their mouths in one go! I would have had them if it was up to me but it's about the only thing he's put his foot down on so I've gone along with him.

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

We are a 2pm wedding and we are having them, i think its a nice touch and it just keeps the hunger locked up before the meal when the pics are going on.

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

We're having a 1pm wedding, and we're having canapes at the drinks reception instead of a starter at the wedding breakfast. Our venue recommended this to us as well. Works quite well for us, as people will be hungry as its an early ceremony (and hungry people get annoyed), and we are doing an evening buffet as well so there'll be plenty of food throughout the day. Plus, if people are like me then a three course meal is just too much food to be consumed in one go hehe.

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I totally agree Snuggle-bum but OH was having none of it!

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

When would you do canapes if it was a church wedding eg if most of the photos were at the church? My ceremony is at 13:00hrs and the venue is half hour away so guests might appreciate a nibble before the meal

• D
    Beginner
    Daff19 ·
    • Hide content

We have a 2:30 wedding and aren't having canapes. Our venue have agreed to let us have bowls of nuts/crisps etc scattered round. So we are having monster munch, hula hoops and other "old school" stuff.

• vicxy
    Beginner May 2011
    vicxy ·
    • Hide content

I did think about it, but at a tenner a head it was going to work out really expensive. Our wedding isnt until 2.30, so I wud have thought evenyone will have got lunch beforehand so shudnt be too starving come dinner!

I dont think our venue wud let us, but canape's instead of a starter sounds like a good idea!

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

I am considering canapes as we have a midday ceremony, so people will be hungry, but it'll be an extra £700 which is pretty expensive for not much food. I do wonder if it would be better to spend it on an extra drink for everyone later in the day. We do get crisps and nuts with the reception drinks, but people will be going until 3.30 until food so I'm really not sure what to do! I may try to haggle with the venue on this!!

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

Hi Amy catchlove,

This just depends on what time you are planning to have your wedding breakfast really.

What time are you planning to sit down eat?

• Annah304
    Beginner April 2011
    Annah304 ·
    • Hide content

We are having canapes, but only because they aren't costing us anything extra to have, and because our sit-down meal isn't until around 6pm (though the wedding's 2.30pm so plenty of time for people to have lunch first). Otherwise we probably wouldn't bother to be honest - it's just a nice touch for us, because we're quite 'foody' and so want to share our passion for food with our guests. Highly doubt we will arrive in time to actually get at any of the canapes ourselves though ?

• Tina Teaspoon
    Beginner May 2011
    Tina Teaspoon ·
    • Hide content

We're having either canapes or crisps or something - I've been a guest at far too many weddings where the drinks reception has been something that everyone is wishing away because they're so hungry! I really want people to be able to enjoy that part of the day rather than just hoping that it's nearly dinner time.

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

We had a 1.30 wedding and didn't have them. It was the one thing me and my parents had big arguments over (flipping canapes!). They were going to cost £400 and I thought the money could be better spent elsewhere, especially as I had tried to cut costs by making the invitations etc myself.

I've only been to one wedding where canapes were served and although they were eaten if they weren't there they wouldn't have been missed.

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, were not having them as they were working out really expensive, were looking at sitting down for the meal around 4pm, so will ask the venue if we can have nuts/crisps scatterred at the tables/bar instead x

• D
    Beginner
    Daff19 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bless parents, my Mum has had a fit over chairs of all things! ?

• paddyandlin
    Beginner May 2011
    paddyandlin ·
    • Hide content

We are a 2pm wedding and decided not to do canapes but after reading the posts here we may well put crisps or nuts out but no canapes

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is at 12.30..were having tea, coffee & shortbread at hotel for the guests arriving & then we'll all be sitting down at 5pm but with speeches etc we'll not be eating until 5.30 I would think...Im sure people (including me!) will be hungry but hopefully they'll enjoy their 5 courses all the more! we are putting on an evening buffet, at least that way evening guests get something as well and I will be asking for a huge platter to be put by for us & the stayer overs for after the party!

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here - I went to a wedding last month and nearly collapsed of hunger by the time dinner was served and it just confirmed to me that we will definitely have some sort of food at the drinks reception!! (I suppose it could be argued it was my fault as I should have eaten before I got there)

Our ceremony is at 2pm but the coach is getting everyone there for 1.30 from 30 mins away so I don't expect people will eat lunch. The sit down dinner isn't until 4pm and we are doing speeches before the starter is served so although I do think the price of the canapes is a bit of a rip off, we will be having them.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Due to a change of date we have had to change our timings as well so getting married at 12.30pm, we originally were just going to hand out boxes of fruit juice after the service whilst the photos were taken, but now thinking we need to provide a snack or we will have very grumpy hungry people and trying to get my family to smile in photos is hard enough already!! just not sure what???

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

I've been thinking about canapes a lot because of our early ceremony but I've just found out that my chocolate fountain supplier does 3 tier stands of chocolate coated strawberries for £35 each, so I am thinking of getting some of these instead of canapes. The canapes cost at least £500, this will cost me £140, plus we also have bowls of cri

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

Oh blast I didnt see this thread lol and have started one myself as we are getting married at 4pm I was wondering if I should supply them too.

• C
    Beginner October 2011
    CLAIREYFAIRY2 ·
    • Hide content

It disappeared down the list a bit since yesterday!

• N
    nomi-lou ·
    • Hide content

I love canapes so i would alsways go with yes lol yum!!

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

My wedding is at 3pm - my coordinator told me not to have them. Dinner is served about 5pm, so it's 2hours without food, poss more if you include travel.

I really wanted them at first - However I am glad we are not having them, they sound expensive! It has meant we could add a few beers to our budget instead (as everyone else will be having mulled wine, some manly folk won't enjoy that).

• MrsCJ
    Beginner July 2011
    MrsCJ ·
    • Hide content

I was concerned about this too! Our hotel allows you to bring homebaking like shortbread or cupcakes etc. MIL2b bakes so she was happy to do this. I asked the hotel for crisps and grapes..my friend had this at hers and was lovely. This is £2.50 per head though so that will be £250! Alot of money I feel xx

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

Our ceremony is at 1.30 and our line up is at 4.00 and we're having canapes - mainly because they come in our wedding package though!

• sarahjolley
    Beginner September 2012
    sarahjolley ·
    • Hide content

This is smething I just cant decide on. I have already gone over my budget not including canapes, but I know what its like being starving at a wedding waiting for the dinner to be served. I will probably decide quite late depending on how much we have managed to save

Would love them though

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    louisepalmer79 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at 14.00 and plan to have a sit down meal around 16.30 but are def having them. Like some of the previous posters, being hungry during a champagne reception can be awful as a guest....and it will also help to soak up the alcohol! It can be an added cost though - depending on what you go for and how many. Our caterer is providing 6-8 canapes per person which should be sunstantial enough. We're also having our speeches before the meal so people won't get their 1st course until around 17.00....

I've never been to a 14.00 wedding and had lunch beforehand though....I'm usually either travelling there or had a large breakfast at the hotel so by 15.00 am very hungry. But I do like my food ?

Tricky decision though - esp as it's not the cheapest add on!

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics