Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pinkcoffee22
Dedicated April 2022 Staffordshire

Cancelling Wedding. Anyone else?

Pinkcoffee22, 31 of March of 2022 at 15:10 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi, beautiful brides,

I'm writing here just to vent a little and express where I'm at...

FH and I have been engaged and planning the wedding now for 18 months. We're due to get married 3 weeks today, and I'm honestly wanting to cancel the wedding (still get married, but not have a wedding).

To say this whole experience has been stressful and awful is an understatement. I feel completely drained and all fun and joy and excitement have completely disappeared for me. I'm not even looking forward to the day anymore.

In the past 18 months we've had:

A complete lack of excitement from my sister.

My sister being offended at not being MOH but only a bridesmaid.

My sister choose not to attend our engagement celebration as she was 'seeing her boyfriend'.

My sister ultimately stepping down from being bridesmaid and a guest as she 'didn't like the dress', 'caused her anxiety with the dress' and various other issues.

MOG insist on wearing ivory and then ultimately state she's not coming to the wedding because we don't want her to wear ivory.

MOG remove herself from our lives entirely, causing a huge amount of upset and leaving us without childcare for our honeymoon (an £8K honeymoon all paid for).

Niece and bridesmaid cause issues and be completely negative when it came to hair, makeup, shoes, dress, 'night before' plans, 'morning of' plans.

FOG causing a huge row because we 'didn't pay for bridesmaids' hair and makeup', 'said we couldn't give someone a lift to the venue', 'ordered cheap dresses (£115 each)', 'peer-pressured bridesmaid into paying for hair and makeup' (not at all true), etc.

There's more, but the bottom line is, I'm so drained.

Notably, everything written above in italics has happened in the last few weeks through to yesterday, and I am sooo done. I love my fiance more than anything, and I want to be married to him, but I have no energy left for this event. None. We've spent £40K on the day and I'm honestly feeling happy to pay the remaining invoices and be done.

Has anyone else felt like this?

I'm 3 weeks away, due to pick up my dress and wedding ring tomorrow, and I honestly don't want to. I'm soooo over it. Smiley sad

12 replies

Latest activity by Bliss, 9 of April of 2022 at 22:52
  • A
    Dedicated July 2022 Co Londonderry
    Ali312 ·
    • Hide content
    Yes, I frequently question my decision to have one.

Mine is a bit further away than yours, but I've had different setbacks in terms of people attending, the guestlist and difficulties planning things abroad. I find that I feel like that after something happens- disagreements predominantly. For example yesterday I had guests being difficult, which ended with me crying and questioning everything.
    I've given it a bit of time and I feel better, however my plan is to take some time away with someone l, maybe a spa day, to just take my mind off.
    So not much advice, but I feel for you and you're definitely not alone! Smiley smile
    p.s it's always people that cause issues in weddings (relatives who you'd hope would be understanding), makes me feel like eloping!

• Pinkcoffee22
    Dedicated April 2022 Staffordshire
    Pinkcoffee22 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much for validating my emotions, Ali. It's nice someone understands, as I feel a bit bratty even expressing this! It just feels like the whole event has become about something entirely else, when all I really wanted was to celebrate finding my soulmate.

I hate people! 🤣

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

And Breathe! I am so sorry your family have been this way, I really dont understand peoples sense of entitltement when it comes to a wedding, that said, it will work out and the main thing now is that you and FH are married, that is all it is about. It is so hurtful when people behave this way, you dont need the stress and I have been like you at times and thought why are we bothering! ee have had several suppliers pull out last minute, venue building issues, my mother thinking it is her wedding and being very vocal and spiteful with her comments BUT we, like you , are 4 weeks away and Ihave finally realised I have to let go of the negatives. My FH has helped me stay grounded and see that WE are all that matter and sod anyone elses. Please try and not worry, you have planned the day you want and that is all that counts. Hope you can manage to relax a bit and enjoy the build up and have a wonderful day X

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

I can only really echo what Charlotte says, I have actually had a very positive experience in planning so far and only mild irritation with his family which he seems to share so we have just laughed about them. It sounds like your sister has a lot of issues to be causing such a fuss though.

I do remember your posts about the MOG as well and that is totally unreasonable especially the behaviour over the honeymoon. I just hope you can put it behind you and move on in the last few weeks, I am sure when you collect your dress you will feel more positive. Try not to put too much pressure on yourselves and remember it is only about you and the FH. Hard I know but it is just a day (albeit an expensive one!) and you have the rest of life with your soulmate.

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Hi thinking of you this is the one reason we chose not to have a big wedding becuse there is so much pressure of other people what you need and need to pay for. But you have to forget all the negative things especially being so close to your wedding and concentrate on the positive your both get to say you do which is the most important thing we dont speak to family because they want it to be a big wedding but its about what you want not others sorry if i havent helped much xx💗
  • Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Sending lots of love Smiley heart

Remember you and FH are the only ones that matter on your wedding day, so take a deep breath and don't let anyone else's negativity get in the way of you having a good time x

• A
    Dedicated July 2022 Co Londonderry
    Ali312 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've been trying to put together how I feel and your message describes it perfectly. I do talk to by htb, and he says 'its just about us, don't worry about other people', which I appreciate, but it's hard when you have setbacks, especially when other people are being insensitive.

It doesn't help that I think it's just me, he doesn't worry or stress as much and I'm like a ball of nerves, so any significant problems make me want to stop planning and give up😅 I'm sure in the end we'll both have amazing days though 🎉 (Never organising another event like this again though! 😛)
    I second the hating 😅
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think the reason he doesnt stress is probably because you have done most of the planning hope im right xx 💗But it will be an amazing day and i wish you all the best for your special day xx. CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU BOTH xx💗
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Sometimes, I find it helps me to remember that I can't change what has happened but I can change my reaction to it.

When someone has been difficult, it's really easy to concentrate on that person's reactions and behaviours until they dwarf everything else. It might help if instead, you think about other people who will be there (who haven't been causing you hassle) who you will look forward to seeing. Concentrate on all the things that have gone well and all the people who aren't giving you grief and remind yourself that they are the majority x

• Richard
    Dedicated May 2022 Berkshire
    Richard ·
    • Hide content

I think some people forget that this day is about two people not about everyone else.

Offer an opportunity for these people to be part of your day and if they dont just offer those places to someone else.

• G
    Curious June 2022 Essex
    Giorgi ·
    • Hide content
    Oh wow nice to hear I’m not alone either. Why is something that’s meant to be about love and happiness cause nothing but stress, worry and upset.

If the stress of organising it all isn’t enough with waiting on replies, updates, paperwork etc etc.Family and friends can be a nightmare an I found show there true colours at times like this.
    I have fallen out with my moh/best friend of 15 plus years, she was initially excited but then got a new man an every time I tried to catch up with her she was always too busy an would never even suggest a date just always too busy an never asked about the wedding or offered to help. This happened on 10 plus occasions. During this time she said she suddenly couldn’t come to the wedding (abroad) for multiple made up reasons that were not an issue before the new man. Then I found out she got engaged and didn’t even tell me until 3 weeks later via text! I finally had enough an said how I felt. Sometimes in life people are not meant to stay forever an you have to remove the negative or you’ll continue to let them drag you down when they should be building you up.
    My sister has also been a nightmare too still don’t know if she’s coming an the weddings in June!I was so close to cancelling everything just a couple weeks ago but things have started to look up so fingers crossed. Good luck to every bride out there and remember your not alone.

• Bliss
    Savvy October 2022 West Sussex
    Bliss ·
    • Hide content
    What I will say is, do not let other people impact your special day. Message everyone causing drama telling them bluntly they either stop adding added stress to your day or do not come!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics