Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2014

Can't find a wedding dress please help :(

mocha, 20 March, 2011 at 20:33 Posted on Planning 0 16

I have been looking for a dress and tried on so many but I haven't found the dress.

I only have a few weeks left but I can't settle on anything.

The type of dress I have found I liked best is the picture posted below. The shape of the dress comes in at the waist and then puffs out with that sort of pattern. However, I feel the puffiness is too big. I also like A line dress but the type that come in at the waist again. I have tried one by Maggie and I liked it a lot.

The following dress is similar to the one above but it has been discontinued. In some ways I prefered it because it didn't puff out so much at the bottom. I like the sweetheart necline of both and how they come in at the waist.

However, I am only having a small wedding so there is no point getting something so puffy. I could have got the first one in pink for £600 but decided I don't want to spend that much even if it was new because I'd rather spend it elsewhere. However, I do want to look good but I can't find anything.

I am not going for the traditional look so I went into Debenhams and tried on a bridesmaids dress (yes bridesmaids!):

I really liked it, I don't think it looks so good in this picture but it came in at the waist so it was fitted on the top half, then the bottom half wasn't so puffy. The only thing is, it looked like a bridesmaids dress which it is, and I'd also go for a lighter colour but it looked good on (I know you won't believe me from the above picture but it really did).

It cost £110 with discount and if I could get someone to make me something similar and not charge me so much then I would get it. Can anyone find me similar dresses even if not a wedding dress so I can have a browse? I don't mind colours but I would want to buy it soon.

I have also seen short dresses like

I really liked it although I don't like the second layer underneath (would prefer the one) and maybe a dif colour or more pattern/glitz would help.

Please post your suggestions with links.

16 replies

Latest activity by *JLS*, 24 March, 2011 at 11:41
  • L
    Beginner April 2011
    loopyjennie ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried mark lesley??? or true bride? I am having a bridesmaid dress as my wedding dress as it was just what i was looking for..

they have some gorgeous bridesmaid dresses on their as well as wedding dresses.

https://www.marklesley.co.uk/Mark-Lesley.html

true bride also do their bridesmaid dress's in ivory as well as the normal colours..

• *ROSSI*
    Beginner May 2012
    *ROSSI* ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mocha, I've been having the same dilema for the past 3mths. I'm looking for the same sort of look as your first 2 dresses and wondered if you might like these:

This dress is £599:

http://www.alfredangelobridal.co.uk/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=af706a44-90b7-46ec-bf09-c4e399ee8171&categoryID=0fb8d3ca-5030-43bb-9e1b-90ffb001ae14&pg=0&colorId1

This designer has quite a few similar styles, not sure of the £:

https://ellisbridals.co.uk/

Sincerity are roughly £700, I tried on 3610 and it was very classic looking:

http://www.sinceritybridal.com/collectionlist.php?collection=4&silhouette=1&neckline=&weist=&dresslength=&dresscolor

Not sure if this might help, but hope it may. I've found this part of the process really stressful & frustrating yet most others around me seem to have got on really simply with it having only gone to a couple of shops. Not sure if you've looked on line and then phoned the designer to see where they stock dresses you like but that may help. I'm sure if you get cracking you'll wrap it up quick. xxx

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

If you are open to bridesmaid dresses what about something like this its an Alfred Angelo reasonable price ( when i was a bridesmaid it was £140 ) and available in all colours has the same sort of shape as the dresses you have been looking at

or maybe this ...

or shorter styles this one is monsoon

• L
    Beginner March 2012
    Leabee28 ·
    • Hide content

i feel your pain!!!

ive tried this on and its not puffy and very lovely

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    mocha ·
    • Hide content

That alfred bridesmaids dress in red is lovely. how much is it?

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    mocha ·
    • Hide content

Do u have a picture of the alfred angelo 6495 wearing it?

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mocha

I didn't end up with that dress but did try it on and it felt lovely. So i dont have any pics of me in it but i did a quick google and found it on a real person which may help. It really does feel like a wedding dress on IYKWIM. I can't remember the exact price but i think it was around £140.

I think if you put a hoop or petticoat thing underneath it would bring it out more ( thats what they did when i tried it on )
    Only reason we didnt go for it was it looked too similar to the brides dress which was this
    This is the bridesmaid dress i wore but the sash was ivory - it has a train which you cant really see in pic

Hope that helps

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    mocha ·
    • Hide content

Thank u. i am calling around but they're all quoting high prices (more than what u paid). may i ask which city u saw it in?

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mocha, if you are not too set on it being white/ivory, I have a burgundy dress that I am selling, it is a two piece and has crystals around the top of the bodice and the skirt has some bits gathered with a rose detail. If you want I can send you some pics if you give me your email address.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I saw it in Weston-super-mare, but this was 2009 so price may be more now. I have been looking online for you. What size do you need and how quickly?

I found this which is similar http://www.justforyoubridal.co.uk/product/forever-yours/77123?# £155 but i cant comment on the shop as never bought there they seem to offer an order direct service. No alfred angelo though by the looks of it.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

What about

https://www.vivienofholloway.com/en/category/50s+Halterneck+Luxury+Dress/1950s-halterneck-luxury-dress/96

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    mocha ·
    • Hide content

Jlcb2b could you post pics on here or contact me via this website? u can add me as a friend.

stupidlamb thank u, i will take a look.

i'm not too keen on halternecks, they don't suit me well.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Mocha - you have mail Smiley smile

ETA - MOcha, can you email me on *************@*******.*** please? I am on OH's computer and I don't want to save the pictures and then delete them (he is a whiz at finding stuff) and I'll forward you the pictures as they are on emails?

Cheers

Jx

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Here you are Mocha, it has never been worn, apart from being tried on and it comes with detachable spaghetti straps Smiley smile

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

This isn't me but shows the dress on, you can try different hoops to change the "poofyness".

• maryg111
    Beginner May 2011
    maryg111 ·
    • Hide content

Oh i am having the alfred angelo dress as my wedding dress - it looks even better in real life than in the pics and it was only £360 (not reduced or anything) - i love it so much!!!!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

Edwards - pay attention to the rules and don't advertise on here!!!!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics